Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Day Day 70

I'm heading from Rainelle to White Sulphur Springs on Day 70. My fears are subsiding as I get out of town. My first impression of West Virginia was that this great land was more beautiful than I could imagine. Instantly, I fell in love with it. Unfortunately, my image became tainted with locals who shared a different perspective. I could overcome their thoughts, as I was on the road seeing, mainly, the beautiful countryside, not living the day-to-day life. No matter the social economic issues, it gets my top billing. Love it! 
This day seems a piece of cake to the few before it. Climbs, but not too bad. It's going to like like this for days, so might as well embrace it. My shin is still the same. It can heal after I make it to Virginia Beach. Nothing I can do to really help it. The miles are too cruel for it. 
There's not been "service's" along this stretch, until I got to Lewisburg. By then, I've had my cart food, and I'm going to be good til I get to White Sulphur Springs. 
As I'm going through Lewisburg, I have two ladies approach me. They are Kristi, from the Visitors Bureau and Sarah, from the local newspaper, Mountain Messanger. They are welcoming me to Lewisburg!! And they will go with me through town. We talk, walk, meet and greet many other wonderful people. The town is so great! It's on my list of towns to"re-visit". Lots to see, places to eat, art and culture activities. Clean, well-kept, with many people there taking great pride in their town. I love towns like this....the people there take true ownership of the place they live. It shows. As Kristi, Sarah and I move down the sidewalk in town, there are people out to greet us, and cheer me on. Thanks, y'all!! Then the finale is the children (from a school) at the edge of town. We stop for questions. They ask many great things! How many miles have you gone? What's in your cart? I loved it. I bid everyone farewell, and left the town of Lewisburg with renewed excitement. They impressed me with their cheerfulness and sincerity. What a fun place! 
I move on down the road to make my way to White Sulphur Springs....downhill much of the way. What a fun experience that was, I keep thinking. 
I make it to the edge of town, and go in McD for tea. It was just what I wanted. I keep going, and the ups and downs return. I'm thinking how I'll be sleeping outdoors, and happy to not be in a motel room - as the last few have been unpleasant experiences. I hope I get to see some of those cute, well-kept motel's before I finish. That way I won't have the bad thoughts I do right now. 
I'm climbing a mountain, when I look up and see - who I will find out - is Holly and 'Mom'! 
See blog "Surprise ". Talk about amazing.....these woman are truly special folks. 

No comments: