Sunday, June 7, 2015

Day and Night 68 - Gauley Bridge, WV

I left the real world, we all know and love, of a hotel that has everything you need, and that's really nice. I left it to make my way out of Charleston, and almost 40 miles to a little town called Gauley Bridge. Along the way, I was near the river the majority of the time. It's a understatement when I say how amazing, astounding and picture-perfect the scenery is. It distracted my attention from my leg, to what was around me. I do confess to multiple doses of alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen. It was the only way. I cannot fix my issue right now, as my lower right leg just wants to be swollen and angry. I'm just going to take my obstacles, as they arise, and move through them. I have to. There is no other option.
As I moved down the road today, I did so with a intentional slower pace, and knew that's what is now required. I enjoyed the day! There were many tiny towns I went through. In Belle, there's a huge Du Pont plant. There's mining all around, and many industrial businesses. And not too much traffic, because it was Sunday, and also the interstate (64) is close by. I loved seeing Kanawha Falls as I came into Ferris Glen. That was so pretty!
I made it to motel, the New River Lodge. There's absolutely nothing new here, in this building. I'm sure of that. I'm actually surprised they are allowed to be open. I don't think the motel-police have been here to inspect lately. The owner, Pastor Charles, is one of the nicest people I've ever met. He's warm, caring, and always seems to be doing for others. According to him, there's a "crippled man who lives in room 7", and he cares for him. He went and got him ice cream before we went to church. There are several other people he was driving around, and taking places. Busy, busy. We left for church at 6:30. He says it will last from 7-9 pm, and try to have me back at the motel by 9:30 pm. I'll get up early and head out, but ones nights "short" sleep will be okay.
The church is about 2 miles away. Charles and I drive there in his car. He's got to go get ready for the service, and I meet and talk to several of the congregation. They are wonderful people. A number of them live at his motel. He charges 500.00 a month, all bills paid. He helps these people in many ways. They are regular people like you and I, except they live in a small town.
The church service was from 7-9, as he said it would be. It started with music. All kinds of music, many people in the congregation came up to sing, and they all knew when it was their turn. Like they do that each week, I presume. There is a lot of clapping, raising of the arms, and basically singing gospel songs like "no one is watching". It felt good, to let loose, be yourself, with no judgement. I enjoyed every single minute. I clapped, I sang, I listened, I watched, I smiled. There were piano players/singers, several played a guitar, and Jerry played a harmonica (which was my favorite). Charles' daughter played the piano and sang. Beautiful, just beautiful. The sermon was about how we "live above our means materialistically, yet live below our means, spiritually ". Very interesting, and true. Toward the end, at the time of prayer requests, many of the congregation said prayers for me, and my safety. It was just overwhelming. Charles told them I had been on the road for 66 days, and it was all so touching. By the time the service was over, many were crying. I can sum it up by telling you there was no other place I was supposed to be tonight......except there. The music spoke to me, the people were like magnets, asking what they can do. Can they get me dinner? What do I need? I will tell you, I will never forget that church service. Everything in it and about it, was speaking to me. I can't explain it in writing. It was meant to be.
My leg did not get iced, and I will not get much sleep. But my spirit is uplifted, and I feel like I have met people who are true, caring and sincere. I went to a church service at "Brownsville Holiness Church " that was unlike anything I've experienced personally, before. I met a Pastor that lives a life of assistance to others. And it all was a night to remember.
Now, I need to get to sleep. I'm going to get up early, and try to get up some of the mountain before the logging trucks start, and the school buses get on the mountain, too.
More later,
Cyndi

No comments: