Friday, June 26, 2015

Final FAQ Post-Finish

Are you back to normal yet?

This question has been asked by many, and I ask myself that question several times a day. My answer: Almost. So close. So very close.
NOW:
The fatigue is letting up, my legs, hips and feet are feeling good, and I'm feeling "more like myself" again. My right shin issue (shin splint) is healed and gone. One way that I can tell my body is still adjusting and recovering though, is my heart rate. At night, and in the morning, I notice my heart rate is higher than normal. I have "spells" of feeling really hot, then feeling chilled. My blood pressure is a little lower than I'd like (at times), but all these things are occurring less and less! I see progress, and I'm feeling more normal for most of the day. (It used to be just the opposite, as I was feeling "unusual" most of the day). Now, I'm feeling better, and wanting to do the usual things I like to do. I have reacquainted myself with things here at the house, and will be going back to work in July. I'm even more excited to tell you that today....just today.....I felt like my regular "me" - more than ever. I woke up feeling good. I took the dogs out for a walk, brought two of them back, and kept Daisy, the catahoula with me. She and I ran together (I'm needing to re-adjust her to it, as well), then we walked for awhile. I felt great, kept a nice pace, and just wanted to keep going. I then decided to mow the front/back yard, and get some other yard work completed. Still, I felt great. This all makes me so very happy. No aches, no pains. No ibuprofen. The fatigue is fading away.
THEN:
When I came home last week, my legs, ankles and feet were swollen. My feet did not fit in most all of my shoes. I had a golf ball lump on the front of my right shin. My back teeth had a nagging, constant dull pain in them, my back was even tender. My heart raced whenever I was "at rest", I would even "pant" (like my dogs do), in the night, while my body was catching up. The splits in the sides of my lip/mouth were trying to heal, I had ear wax flowing from my ears. My GI system was attempting to find its "normal" self again. I was ravenous ALL the time. I would eat until I felt sick, and had a hard time stopping that. I needed to stop the night eating. I was out of sorts, to say the least. I had pushed my body, on a daily basis, to limits beyond my imagination. Time, and rest, would be my best friends. I did the best I could to relax and rest. It's not in my nature to do so, but I gave it a fair chance. It paid off, and I'm reaping the rewards. I just feel good. Really good.
After I write it all down, together like that, I can understand why people would wonder, "Why torture yourself like that?" It's interesting, because at the time, during those 78 days, I was able to mentally push the pain, and "bad things happening" away. I enjoyed SO much of the time out there. Meeting people, seeing the countryside, that my aches and pains were just a minor part of the process. They were expected, under those circumstances. The "good" of the journey far outweighed any of the "bad" things that occurred. If I dare say so, after a couple of days, I really wanted to go back to Virginia Beach, and go backwards, on our route, back to Venice Beach, CA. This time though, I wanted to go and enjoy MORE of everything. I want to zip line in Kentucky, go through the caves in Missouri, go horseback riding in Wickenburg, AZ, and stay at The Greenbrier longer. And many, many more things! I'd like to take a year off, and do that......someday. And each time I think, "I want to stop and do _______". I can do just that. It would be a crossing of America, and evaluating many activities along the way. Maybe become a writer/critic for ALL those great and fun things to do, along US60. One day.

For now, the suggestion I've received the most, for "what to do next" is American Ninja Warrior. David says he'll build me the set-up in the back yard to practice with. I think he's serious.

Still to come, will be a Final Hygiene Report.  I need to do that, as I've made great progress in many areas. I know my family is happy about that (the progress, that is). They prefer I potty inside. And wear something - now and then - besides running types of clothing.

It's a Happy Friday,
Cyndi

No comments: