Saturday, June 6, 2015

Day 67 - A Day Off

One of the most common questions I've gotten from the very beginning of this crossing, is: Will you take a day off? The answer has been, this whole time, only if there's a injury or I'm too sick. Well, my right lower leg is angry from the miles yesterday. It's swollen, sore, and I know if I do it again today, I'm just going to make it worse. So......I'm going to take care of myself......and take a day off. I will keep it elevated, ice it off and on, and load up on ibuprofen. I know what I need to do. It was hard enough the other day to cut my day short, but it showed me that I need to stay off it completely, to give it a fighting chance. I'm still moving nicely down the road, and with this under better control, I'll be able to continue that movement. I need to be able to get on and off and road quickly (with mountains and switchbacks), so my legs needs to be ready to do that for me.
I've been mulling this over and over since 1:30am this morning, when it woke me up and let me know it was sore and swollen. John and I spoke about it this morning, and his advice of "Be Smart about it" supports my intuition to give it a full day to recoup.
And as much as I'd like to go over to the mall and shop, go see Charleston, or other fun stuff, my goal will be to stay off it completely, to give it time to rest.
So I'll be right here, in Charleston. My satellite tracker will get a day off.

Self compassion is key today. And I know what I need to do.

Going to get some ice.....and some rest.

I still plan on getting to Gauley Bridge, it will just be tomorrow - instead of today. And that's going to be okay. The blessing in it all? Charles, who runs the New River Lodge (where I will be staying), is also the Pastor of the Pentecostal church in town. He's been the Pastor there for 50 years! He invited me to the 7 pm service tomorrow night, and I'm be thrilled to go. I'll wake up in the morning, and get on the road early enough to get there.
Have a great Saturday!
Cyndi

No comments: