Thursday, June 11, 2015

Night 71 and Day 72 - The Days are Flying!

I cannot stop the time from flying by. To type in Day 72 is unbelievable to me. David is flying out Saturday......I can't wait to see him. Yet, I'm scared at the thought I might finish this. Of course, it's my goal, but I'm so used to getting up and moving, being outside, seeing beautiful countryside everyday, and meeting great people. I don't want it to end. I know that sounds crazy. But I really enjoy this. I've been so excited about finishing, now, today, my feelings are "sad" at that thought. For example, yesterday during my detour/re-routing, a man pulls over to inform my of the interstate situation. He's just making sure I know how to get "around" it. He knows the roads well. I showed him my planned "detour ", and we talk about it. He was very helpful with milage, and places where I would be able to get food/drink. I had multiple people want to help me with this very same thing. They are helping me to be successful. They care about my safety and route, and they don't even know me. Granted, many have seen me for miles now. I had many "friendly" honks yesterday. As if saying, Hello!! I love it, and smile, wave back, and feel welcome. I'm going to miss that. Even all those logging trucks, going back and forth, see me over and over. They become my road-friends, if only for a stretch of the route.
I've stayed at the Oak Tree Inn overnight. It was a pleasant surprise. Clean and very nice. I went from "difficult" motels to The Greenbriar. That was literally the biggest swing in economics possible. It felt good to be at The Greenbriar. I miss it! Luckily, The Oak Tree Inn served me well though. It's no Greenbriar.......but nothing else will ever come close! I will never forget that, it was so magical there.
I'll go by Penny's Diner to get food for later, and carry it in my cart. Until I get to Lexington, my options for drink/food is minimal. (Clifton Forge will have things, but it's only a few miles). I have done something a little different. I made a motel reservation at both Lexington and Buena Vista. As I'm not sure where I will end up. There's mountains to climb, detours to take, all with sore legs. I'm hoping to make Buena Vista, that's my goal. My legs haven't been sore in awhile. These ups and downs caught up with them, I guess. It should subside in a day or so. Should be temporary.
I've got my route ready for today. I know I won't have cell service for awhile again in the mountains, at least that's what I've been told about today's roads. (Like yesterday!).
Hygiene Report:
At the Greenbriar, they launderer my clothes, I showered in a beautiful shower, and had access to lotion, shampoo and conditioner. Those, my friends, are luxuries. And theirs are extra nice, on top of that!
At the Oak Tree Inn, I had bar soap. I did shower, but no laundry was done. It's going to be 90 degrees today, and I'll be completely sweaty and dirty again. So I figured I'd just be really "granola" today, and let it be. I'm pretty sure, at the Budget Inn in Buena Vista, I'll be washing my clothes in the shower. That works for me today, though.

I'm going to get on the road. I have about 40 miles today, and that includes climbs. So it may be slow, but I'll get there. Yesterday, I took my time and completely enjoyed my day. Think I'll do that again. I just enjoy the time outside. I'll soak up every moment of what Virginia has to offer today.
Cyndi

No comments: