Thursday, June 11, 2015

Day and Night 72 - Bears, oh my

I'm actually loving these detours and re-routing here in Virginia. I see, smell, and enjoy the scenery of the "back roads" very much. Today, I climbed more mountains, and enjoyed the rolling parts. There was fog all morning, and the backdrop of it in the mountains, was spectacular. And to think the people who live here get to see it everyday. As I've mentioned before, I notice differences from state to state. Virginia is different in many ways, along my route. I can't speak to other areas, and I've not been allowed to be on US60 because it's mostly mixed with the interstate (64). I notice the socio-economic level is higher in regards to housing and businesses. Many parts of US60 in West Virginia seem to be poverty stricken. Interstate 64 has hit those small towns hard there. The roads I've been on in Virginia show me a different lifestyle. One of a stable, lovely and thriving place. As a runner (cyclist), I'd be whipped into shape here, with the ups and downs! The land in Virginia is pristine, and litter is visibly absent. The smells of the fresh morning air is definitely my favorite. The birds sing, so much, that when I'm on the phone, they can hear the birds. Deer are everywhere, and so agile and elegant. Virginia DOT may not always give me a shoulder, but there's room to get off the road (when need be), and the roads are smooth.
More good news? My sister, Sheryl, is flying out Monday to spend some time in the road with me again. David will pick her up at the airport, and pluck her off on the side of the road, with me! I'm always happy to share the road. I want her to run into Virginia Beach with me. Anybody willing to tackle this, certainly deserves the best part!! I don't when "the finish" will be, but it's in the near future. And you all have been with me. I had no idea "my team" would include so many wonderfully supportive friends. Trust me, I need that. This cannot be accomplished alone. My ups and downs have been wide-ranging.....and I don't mean the terrain. I've touched every emotion known to mankind.
Grueling was my word of the day today. I climbed way more than I expected. Here's a summary of my re-route/detour today, due to US60 being the interstate for most of the day:
SR696 / Selma Low Moor Rd
Darkness! Started early, and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I used my flashlight, and had the red lights on my cart blinking. Rolling terrain and nice temp.
This joined US60 for a short while around Clifton Forge. Terrain is still nice. I'm fooled into a smooth day, not knowing what's coming up ahead on my detour route.
Then, I took a right on Longdale Furnace SR 632/269. Another country road with very little traffic. So far, that's been the theme of the day. At every turn, I do not know what to expect.
My next turn is a right on a obscure road called Collierstown Rd. I almost miss it! It's a one lane road,  and looks to be going straight up. It's paved, I start up it. Then, the pavement goes away, and it's a jeep (one car) road. Packed dirt with rocks and gravel. John warned me about this a long time ago, he said he hoped they would have paved it by now. He couldn't remember where it was.....and now, I'm on it. Dang. It's just over 3 miles up, that I pushed my cart up that dirt and gravel. Grueling. This whole mountain took me hours! The down, was not easy. The gravel was thicker, and there were "turns" on the way down. No cellular service, and I'm looking at my map. I didn't think it was going to be quite like this. I turn a couple of times, and this "jeep" road continues. I wonder when it will become paved again? It does eventually, slowly, become paved again. I'm now on Turnpike Rd. for miles, and then it turns to the left as SR672. My "true" final detour. It's yet another one lane road (paved!), that has climb after climb, in the thick forest/mountain. It's so thick, there's very little cell service, my satellite tracker can't reach the sky, and the road is completely shaded. The shade was the blessing of this last, difficult terrain detour. I would be on that road about 10 miles.....until I get to Lexington, where I will get back on my beloved US60. There's very little traffic on this SR672. A car only once in a while. I'm about 6 miles into this wilderness, one lane road, climbing and descending over and over. As I crest a mountain, and start down it, I notice up ahead a animal crossing the road. I think, just another possum. But no, upon further inspection, I notice it's a baby bear. How cute, better get my phone and get a picture. Oh look, there's another baby bear coming on the road. They are rolling around in the road, playing a bit. Just as I think to take the picture, panic overtakes me. I know what's next! Mama Bear. I start slowly backing back up the mountain quietly. And then I see her, she is following behind the baby bears, as they cross the road. I'm paralyzed. I'm quiet. I gently try to push my cart further up the mountain, but she hears - and sees me. She's frozen in the middle of the road. Our eyes meet. She tilts her head. I turn and run. With my cart, I run back up the mountain as fast as I can. I look over my shoulder, and she's taken a couple of steps towards me, but stops. I keep moving away from them. She watches me, then shuffles her babies into the forest, on the other side of the road. They are gone. At least from my site. What do I do? I can't go back down there. I just can't. I try to call David. No luck. My heart is racing. That Mama Bear could have come and caught me. I have food in my cart, and I was not quick back up the mountain. But I'm okay! Yet, now I cannot pass down there. I refuse. As I stand in the middle of the road - in shock about how close I was to the baby bears - and then Mama Bear, a car is coming. I literally wave my hands in panic, and he stops. He asked what's wrong? I tell him, "Bears! There's a Mama and her babies down there! I ran from them." He said calmly, "If course there's bears out here. And it's baby season. This is the most dangerous time, as the mother will defend her babies. It's best that you retreated. She probably saw you moving away from them, and went back into the woods". He volunteered to follow me, in his car, as I moved past that area, and until I felt safe. And he did! I was so grateful for him. I could keep going now. And I can tell you, I worried the last 4 miles in those mountains, about seeing more bears. I called John, and told him he can't go this way. It's just too dangerous. I know he still will.....but at least I told him what's out here.
I make it into Lexington, and I'm still realing from my "near miss". I'm alive! That's my last detour. Thank goodness. I can't do that again, I'm just too scared. I'm getting back on US60, and just in time, there it is!
As I recover, I make my way through Lexington, and stop at Kroger for supplies. I decide, even though it's been a tough day, I'm going to go on to Buena Vista. BV as the locals call it. I do finally arrive there, and check in the Budget Inn. Oh goodie! But it's actually not too bad. And, they have a washer, and I can wash my clothes. I probably pee'd in my pants, back when I saw the bears. And I think I may have had a heart attack. Okay, probably not, but my heart was racing!!
I better prepare for tomorrow, so will close for now. I can't erase that image of Mama Bear looking at me. Stopped, as she's trying to decide what to do. I'm SO glad she went on with her babies.....and not up to me. It was something I will never, ever forget. It's forever etched in my mind. Those detours were pretty, quiet, beautiful, and different......but dangerous.
Cyndi

No comments: