Sunday, June 14, 2015

Most Recent Common FAQ, Plus a Bonus Question

What is it you do every day, all day?

Mornings are the easiest time:
Eat breakfast
Have coffee, if possible
Fix my feet (band aids, body glide, ointment)
Running clothes on
Take ibuprofen
Organize cart /Pack cart for the day
Check room: Don't forget things in fridge, charging cords, and check motel room real good, each time, so you don't leave something important.
Brush teeth, hair, and first application of sunscreen (so it can start soaking in).
Place items on cart, preferably in their regular spot. That way it's easy to find what your looking for when you get tired. Solar chargers easily accessible, headphones ready, lights on cart, flashlight close-by, satellite tracker ready (batteries fresh?).
Drinks and food out of fridge (if there was one), in cart.
Check motel room again, before you leave it.
Potty inside one more time!
During the Day:
Move down the road!
Possible change of clothes, depending on weather
Eat and drink, as needed - and wanted
Fix feet again, depending on terrain. When it's hot, my feet require more attention. Sweat and wetness create chaffing, which creates blisters.
Apply sunscreen throughout the day
Stop for needed - and wanted - food/drinks
Watch for turns. Watch location, on route, at all times. US60 can turn when your not paying attention, and then your sad because you have to go extra miles. Always watch the route. Always watch it, making up time "on foot" is not fun.
Watch for cars/trucks, all day, every day. Be vigilant in safety, for myself and others.
Talk to those sweet people who stop, and want to help. They have many questions, but become your biggest supporters on the road. They are usually going up and down US60 for work, dr appts, etc, and will probably see you again.
Sometimes I change shoes, during the day.
Stay on top of the route, so I know when towns are coming up, as I may need supplies?
All this stopping for misc things (checking route, eating, etc), takes time.
Final Destination:
This is when I get busy!
Check in motel.
Unpack cart, re-organize from day, as needed. If it has rained, it creates 3 times the "work". Wrap and unwrap in plastic bags.
Venture out to collect supplies from conv store, or at a "grocery " store, if I'm lucky!
Get dinner somewhere, if possible.
Research route for the next day. Is there anything along the way? If not, stock cart. If not sure? Stock cart. Always have plenty of water. Always. (Note: 1 gallon = 8 lbs). While researching route, what total milage to final destination? Is there a safe place to stay? Call motels. Check on any turns. This part is time consuming in the evening, sometimes more than others. The logistics of where I'm going, how far, any turns, any re-routing, will there be food/drink available, what is the terrain like (general), is all my responsibility. Different terrain, and number of towns with conv stores, will require different amounts of food/drink needed. Know what's going to happen. Asking locals is a great way to know what's coming up. I ask them what's in town, and what's coming up on US60. They usually know. Then again, sometimes I wonder if they ever leave their own town.
I plug in my lights, solar chargers and phone to charge. My solar chargers need addt charging in the evening.
I shower (put on lotion, brush teeth, etc), and usually either wash my clothes in the shower with me, or sometimes there are laundry facilities at a motel. After I wash them, I hang them around the room to dry.
Many times, I blog in the evening, while the day is fresh in my mind. But sometimes, I'm too tired.
I ice my shin.
Double check route, and food/drink supplies.
Get things ready to go back in cart.
If it's going to rain, start wrapping some items, and get baggies out for electronics (phone, satellite tracker, etc). Have rain suit ready and close by.
Have breakfast ready (banana and PB). Keep ibuprofen close.
Put flashlight on top of cart for easy access in morning.
I do as much as possible to make the morning easy, by making preparations the night before.
Check tires in cart.
Clean sunglasses, readers and ear phone cord, as they get sweaty and dirty during the day.

There's many things to do, and most of them help make for successful days. Being prepared is the best thing - always. As prepared as I can be!


Do I take any supplements or electrolytes ?

No. Eating and drinking properly, being mindful of what I'm needing, by "listening" to my body, works well for me.



No comments: