Friday, June 12, 2015

Day 73 - Camping night?

I leave Buena Vista, and wonder what I'll discover today. I find out, pretty quick, it's more mountains. This time, on US60. So I'm sure the cars and trucks flying by will keep the bears away. The thought itself comforts me. Off I go, in the darkness. The BV police have driven by me 4 times, never stopping me, as I go through their town. But they are making sure I know they're watching. I disappear down US60, and head up the mountain. I'll have several "good" ones to climb today. Miles of them. Bright side? It's a paved highway! My cart is stocked, and I have food for the day. Amherst is about 28-29 miles.....with mountains, so it will take me a bit to get there.
I did not have one stitch of cellular service until I got to Amherst. The climbs are something I'm used to theses days. If it bothers anything on my body the most, it's my back. Pushing the cart up puts a lot of wear and tear on my back. On my way to Amherst, I see NO bears, many deer, and lots of snakes. I heard a rattlesnake in the grass (up to my thigh, grass/weeds), that's probably the first time I realized how close I could be to one. I saw several snakes slither off the side of the road as my cart scared them. I had many people stop, say Hi!, offer water, and give encouragement and support. It's been a good day! Now, I have arrived in Amherst, and it's begun to rain. There's dark clouds, and I'm deciding what to do. I was planning on going on to Gladstone, and camp somewhere. But I'll wTch the weather a short while here, before I head out. I ate at a Subway, and it was very good, as usual. I got me a extra sandwich for dinner.....no matter where I end up?
I've been by myself for many weeks now. Tomorrow is a big day....David will arrive. He'll be around until I finish in Virginia Beach. We haven't worked out all the details, but, we will figure it out as we go. I'm looking forward to seeing him!! It's been far too long. We could actually say on the phone today: See you tomorrow!
I better go and decide what I'm going to do about tonight. Stay here? Go further? Camp? And get supplies, as well.

I most likely will not have cell service once I leave this area.

I hope you've had as fabulous a Friday, as I have had the privilege to have,
Cyndi

No comments: