Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Day/Night 64 - Catlettsburg,KY

These last two days in Kentucky has enabled me to look around, see the mountains, the valleys, and enjoy the "flat" moments. The shoulder has been more tolerable - either that - or I'm adjusting to it. Probably a little of both, looking back. There have been some stretches (of shoulders) that have been nice, and short lived, in the last two days. But I'll take it! It's allowed me to look away from the cars and road to see what's around me. I'm definitely in the mountainous area. From what I'm told, I will have mostly climbs and descents most of the remaining US60. And John said the shoulders don't ever get better, "until you reach Virginia Beach". Haha. It's good to know these things, as it helps me mentally prepare. Also, physically, I must respect the downs. They will create and invoke havoc on your shins, if you "enjoy" them too much. My right shin is already reminding me of this. And ibuprofen is in full force. I have it elevated as I blog.
It's been a nice couple of days without rain. I had a a small amount yesterday, but it was nothing bad. I really, really like being outside, moving down the road, and enjoying all aspects of this adventure. I met several people, at a couple of my stops for drink/food that just seem happy. It was one of "those" days. Positive energy all around. I stopped at a ice cream place in one of the very small towns along the way. The lady there smiles, has a happy demeanor, and just seems fitting to work in such a happy place - where everyone is glad to see her, because she gets your ice cream. I noticed also, it's the post office, mini-cafe and who knows what else. She does it all. I liked her a lot. She put sprinkles on my ice cream.
It took me a little longer than usual to arrive today, due to the climbing aspect. It was a good day to start practicing my rhythm, getting used to pushing my cart up, and watching for cars - all at the same time. The milage will change for me, as it just takes longer. But I'm okay with that. It's part of it all, it it's wonderful to be out in it. That's my favorite part.
I went off route today to stay at The Ramada Limited here in Catlettsburg. It's well worth it. It's a nice, relaxing environment, with amenities that I haven't had in quite a few days. So it's nice to take the time to utilize it while I can. It's fun to feel normal- even if it's just for the afternoon.
Rain update: looks like the rain has been taken out of the forecast for a day or so. At least around here. I love that!!!
John update: John is planning on getting to Mount Sterling today, and stay at the same Days Inn (I'm so sorry, but it was not a okay place). I stayed there two nights ago, and got up super early (that next morning) just to leave because it was not somewhere I wanted to be. He's doing okay. I think we both have tired bodies, and fragile emotions, at times, due to the milage (and time) we have been out here. Yet, we both use our own coping skills to "work it out". So far, so good.
Hygiene Report: I showered and showered and showered! NOTE: I laid down last night, in the bed at the Spanish Manor Inn, and could not quite itching. It kept on today, but there's no bug bites, no rash, just feels like bugs are in me? It didn't start until I got in the bed there. That may be the first place I've experienced bed bugs? I'm not sure, but something wasn't quite right. Today, I washed ALL my clothes in hot water, and dried most of them. I'm just being extra cautious, as I don't want to perpetuate that situation. That's what's so nice about being at the Ramada......I can do laundry, and know, pretty sure, that the bed/sheets are clean.

I had three choices for dinner around here. Subway, Waffle House or the conv store food. I choose Waffle House. I had three eggs over easy, hash browns, and a chicken breast. And lots of decaf coffee. Very nice.

I'm going to decide where - and how far to go, in regards to tomorrow. I just haven't made a final decision. I'm thinking Hurricane. That's a funny name for a town. There's so, so many of these towns with unusual names - and that I have never heard of. But then again, I haven't been down US60 like this, either. It's fun to see each and everyone of them. I love seeing how people live, wondering what they do, where they work, etc. And when they see me, they really don't know what to think. And I did have my first dog (after 64 days) that I felt like was "too" aggressive towards me. I got a English muffin, real quick, out of my cart and offered it to him. The pit bull (yes, it was a pit bull) was very happy to have it. Off he went.....carrying it in his mouth. I moved on quickly! All the dogs, besides that one, have been "correctable" with a firm NO, or a sweet, It's Okay. Talking sweet and nicely to them normally works the best. At least for me.

It looks like my weather should be okay tomorrow. You know I like that.
I hear the sun is shining in the Dallas area, and summer is setting in. Enjoy! Now everyone can mow their ponds.....I mean, their back yards.

Happy Hump Day!
Cyndi

No comments: