Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Night 63/Day 64 - Going to W VA

Happy National Running Day! It's been 64 days now. Yesterday, I took time to reflect and rejuvenate. I need to stay strong, keep my emotions in check, and stay focused. I had a lot of miles to cover to get to Olive Hill yesterday, around 57 miles. I had mountains, flats and mild weather. I told myself that I would get there, and my goal was to do so happily. The scenery today was simply amazing! It was so beautiful, I was able to enjoy it due to decent traffic. I looked around me all day, taking in the beauty. I really enjoyed the day! I arrived into Olive Hill, and was thrilled to be there. The motel is 3 miles past town, but I could get supplies and food while I go through town. Coming into town, there's a sidewalk, and I hop on it. Along with a man walking towards me, obviously drunk. He's in no hurry to go anywhere. I pass him without incident, but he turns to follow me. I pick up the pace, and I'm trying to cross streets, be mindful, and notice he's keeping up usually well. I go faster, and know I'll lose him, but in the process, I unknowingly lose my red blinking light (attached to a battery charger). I was getting it ready for the way to the motel, if needed. About a mile down, a man in a pickup truck pulls over holding my red light/battery charger out his window. Oh my gosh! Not only did he stop to get it, he took the time to bring it back to me. I was thrilled!!!! I didn't realize it had fallen off my cart. I'm usually pretty good at keeping things clipped down on my cart, but I was about to use that item. I thanked him over and over. He said, it was no problem. He mentioned he had just gotten out of the penitentiary yesterday, and was happy to help someone. What do you say to that? I remained calm, and again thanked him for doing such a good deed. He drove off, and I moved on.
I picked up a Subway sandwich for dinner. The young teenagers helping me wanted to know "why did you leave your baby outside?". I explained what I was doing, and they had many questions. They were so cute, young and energetic. They were also surprisingly supportive, and I enjoyed talking to them.
I move on down the road, pick up a couple more things, and start going the next 3-4 miles out of town to the motel. I make it before dark to the Spanish Manor Inn. It's been a long day, and I'm ready to rest and shower. This motel has 6 rooms. It's out in the middle of nowhere. I go to the house next door to check in, as I was told to do, and it only takes a minute. She puts me in room 3, and I'm happy to have it. 50.00, what a deal. It's much nicer than I expected, and a great place to clean up and rest before I head toward West Virginia.
Today, I may not cross the border into West Virginia, but I'll stop a few miles before the bridge.

I'm going to go get on the road, and hope to arrive there before the rain does.
More later!
Cyndi

No comments: