Thursday, June 4, 2015

Day (and Night) 65 - Hardest Thing

As silly as this sounds, this is one of the hardest things I've done so far. What is it? Stopping short (by 13 miles) today, due to my right shin. I made this decision, knowing it's in my best interest, and following what my intuition is telling me to do. It's hard to stop today. It's a beautiful day, the weather is perfect, and it's not that much further to go. I'm a huge advocate of listening to my body, and my shin is not critical, not even close. It's "talking" to me, asking to be rested. I don't want this "twing" to turn into a issue. So, I'm stopping a touch sooner today, and will rest, ice, and elevate it. I bet by tomorrow, it's just about back to normal. I've had a few of these things happen, and when they do, I've accommodated them. Usually, by walking that day, and it lets things settle down. So this too, shall pass. I'm just so anxious to keep moving, as it's just gorgeous outside. It's difficult for me to be inside. I will tell you that on the flip side, I'm at a Best Western in Barborsville. It's very nice......so it's wonderful to not be at a unpleasant motel. I'm blessed, and happy to have such a nice place to rejuvenate my shin ache. I have to admit it begin feeling better before I stopped, so I consider this preventive maintenance. I have a lot of climbing coming up, and it's the 'downs' that put all the pressure on your shin(s). I want to be ready for it, and this will help make that happen. NOTE: David had teasingly asked me to slow down, so I won't finish before he fly's out here on the 13th. I didn't think with the mountains, that was really going to happen. But sometimes things like this just make everything work out.

I was super excited this morning when I crossed into West Virginia!! I'm telling you, it's almost instantly different. I crossed over the Ohio River (again), and that was the border between Kentucky and West Virginia. As I came into Kenova, WV, I immediately noticed the houses. They have a certain look to them. Cute, small, quaint, and one after the other. In Kentucky, they were more randomly placed. It's interesting how things are laid out in each state. Maybe it's a zoning thing? None the less, I loved seeing the West Virginia "look" of things. Here's some other differences that I noticed:

Kentucky:
Towns are not off of US60 as often.
Small shoulder, with rumble strip.
Mobile homes are very popular throughout the state.
White Castle was popular around there.

West Virginia:
So far, the town's have been on US60. One after the other. They blend into each other well.
Moderate size shoulder, and I have yet to see a rumble strip (I imagine I will eventually?) Thank you, West Virginia DOT!
Little, cute homes, not mobile homes (as of yet).
Tudor's Biscuit World is a popular fast food place.
Tea Update: I've only found sweet tea. Uh oh. I'll be drinking more water!

Today, after crossing into WV, I have followed the Ohio River, nearby, on US60. It has been relatively "flat", with some hills surprising me, on occasion. Overall, it was a sweet day. As I project into the next few days, it looks like I'm going to go to Charleston tomorrow. I will need to be mindful of the terrain, as well as the shoulder size. This will help determine how far I can go in a day. Mountains (switchbacks, etc) and small shoulders = extra time. Safety first. For myself, and the cars around me.

Interesting tidbit:

* When I checked into the Best Western today, the manager came out to tell me about a lady who was doing what I am, just last month. She, too, was by herself, and around my age. He inspected my cart, and told me she was self-supported, as well. She had rigged a device that looked like a red-wagon set-up (with sturdier wheels), it had a cover on it, and she pulled it! She hooked it to a shoulder harness, and pulled it. I was so fascinated with that.

Hygiene Report:
I'm going to spoil myself, and wash my clothes, two days in a row, IN a washing machine. Yes, it's true. I was thinking I would be at the Budget Inn tonight (Hurricane, WV), but due to my change in plans, it has benefited myself AND my clothes. I'm going to shower, and relax. The ice machine is just across from my room. This is all working out so well. My right ankle/shin area is tender, but I think it was worse last night. So that's great news.....that's it's going to be just fine.

I'm so happy to be in West Virginia!
Cyndi



No comments: