Friday, June 5, 2015

Day 66 - Self Compassion

As instinctive as it is to have compassion for others, it's more difficult to have self-compassion. This requires practice, and continual reminding. Yesterday, I dug deep to do so. It's been 66 days, the weather was gorgeous, I'm ready to keep moving. Yet, I needed to be kind to myself, and rest my leg. I "worked" through it mentally, and it's paid off. My right shin/calf feels much better! I know better to not perpetuate a possible injury, but in this environment, I found it difficult to stop yesterday. Self-compassion saw me through it.
I remember a few weeks back, I was leaving a small town cafe. I held the door open for a elderly husband and wife. The man was using his walker, the woman, a cane. Slowly, they made their way through the door. Once outside, the woman says to me, "I think we are just going to have to start staying at home. We are slow moving ". I immediately replied, " Oh no, please don't do that. Keep getting out, keep moving. How fast you move is unimportant. There's no judgement.". That's when she said what we all do:  I guess I'm just too hard on myself. True, I thought, we all are "too hard on ourselves.". Self-compassion, for me, requires continual practice. And, includes self confidence, that we are all worthy of it.
I'm heading to Charleston! I'm feeling good, and ready for the day. Thank you for all your well wishes and good thoughts. Together, we diverted an obstacle. Time to get moving. There's much to see in West Virginia!
NOTE: I found that Sonic has unsweet tea. How nice. It's the little things in life.
Happy Friday,
Cyndi

I get to see David in 7 days!

1 comment:

Texmexjack said...

Thinking often of you. Keep it up!