Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Tidbits

Tidbits:
Sun Care: 
As many know, my bestie, skin cancer, follows me wherever I go. I recently had some removed from my right ear, with a skin graft placed there. It's healing nicely! My defense against the sun is three fold. 1) I utilize two different types of sunscreen, Zinc Oxide water resistant for my face, ears and neck, and regular sunscreen for my legs, and 2) Oral protection. Yep! My dermatologist gave me HelioCare, which is a pill form of a "internal" dietary supplement that contains Fernblock. It does not replace sunscreen by any means, but is a added layer of naturally repealing sun rays by your skin. Google it and check it out to see what you think, and 3) I wear a long sleeve shirt and a hat that looks like I should be in the desert! It has a large bill around with it, with material that hangs down for more protection. I try. 
My Cart:
It's a fixed front wheel Bob Stroller, the Sport Utility version. David was kind enough to put "no flat" tires inside the existing rugged tires (and this was not easy!) Think of it like a hard-pressed foam material that is formed to the shape of the 16 inch stroller tire. They are genius! There will be no changing of flat tires for me this time. This is one of just many things I have learned from my previous crossing. 
What's in my Cart?
Everything. Now you think I would have learned to "keep it light ". Nope, I did just the opposite. Since I've never been to most of these states, and am not familiar with the weather patterns, I have all kind of clothing options with me. Even rain boots, so I can keep my feet dry (lesson learned from last time). We'll see if they are "okay" when the time comes. I did walk the dogs in them and do odd things around the farm in them to break them in. And I have all the usual necessities: solar chargers, rain suit, food/drink, extra pair of running shoes, toiletries, lights, sleeping bag, tarp. You get the idea. My choice for running shoes this time is one pair of Altra's and one pair of On's. I love them both! My splurge item this time? My yoga mat! Yep, my cart is heavy and I'm going to deal with it that way as long as I can. The cart itself - with the fantastic wheels -is 39 lbs, without anything in it. I like having all this stuff with me as it makes me feel like I'm really on vacation. And I am. 
Cell Service:
Not great in Maine and Mountains. As I come into Caribou, it's my first time to see AT&T cell service on my phone! 
It's The Law:
Cars/Trucks must stay 3 ft away from pedestrians and cyclists on the side of the road. It's a thing here, and they mean it. And I love it!!





2 comments:

Lauren said...

3 feet! Woot!

Mandy said...

Yay for sunscreen!!!!! Good luck I love reading about your adventures!!! Enjoy your vacation. See ya when you back!! ;-)