Thursday, August 10, 2017

Night 10 - Relaxing

The road from Hancock to Bucksport was smooth, with a generous shoulder. These are two of my favorite things on the road. Add in the mountains today, and the ups and downs kept coming. The beauty, the water, the weather and availability of supplies made the difficult terrain a little better. Plus, I knew I'd be getting to a motel to really be able to relax. I don't know that I could do that again. You know, last night. I thought about it today, on the road, about my prior nights experience. How do you just go in somewhere, in another house, and sleep?! That doesn't even make sense. But somehow that occurred through a series of events. I'll could call it miscalculations, poor judgment, or even "devious". Yet, it was there, just waiting for me, as if I was lead there. How else would I know? I'm telling you, I can't make this stuff up. I hardly believe it myself.
But tonight is different! (Yes Brooke, I checked into the motel, and did not slip by a maid and tell her it was my room, or something like that.) I got my room key, and went directly to shower. I wear so much sunscreen I'm like a oil slick. As I'm showering, I hear the motel phone ringing. That's odd. I'm trying to wash my clothes in the shower....maybe the Office guy is calling to tell me I'm using too much water. Oh dear, am I paranoid now or what. I finish, get out of the shower, and call him back. He was calling to say I had a Fed X package just delivered downstairs. Oh goodie! Maybe Altra has miraculously sent me a new pair of running shoes?! It was better than that! The return address was of David, my sweetie I left behind to care for himself and the farm. The Office guy, and his side kick helper, James, wanted me to open it there and see what had been sent. They're so funny. I opened it and started pulling out all the goodies: cookies, a can of icing, a jar of peanut butter, cliff bars, granola, nuts and more! Their eyes were so big! I immediately offered any of it to them, but sadness shown in their faces, and they both said they were diabetic, and it's best not have any of it. The fun was over there, so I packed my treats back up and went back to my room. I ate the nuts first, as they were coated in some kind of sugary sweetness. Yum! I better go have dinner before I put myself into a diabetic coma with all this sugar.
I hung my wet/damp clothes up I had washed (which I'm an expert at), and knew there was a subway sandwich place just down the way. Quick and easy - so I can enjoy some time in my motel room relaxing and doing some yoga.
That was it for my evening, as today was all quiet for me on the road. I did call the sweet couple who offered their place/or a shower, when I went through Ellsworth. I told them thanks so much, but I would not need to stop there. They are so cute and nice, a young adventurous couple. They'll get that AT done in no time, I bet.
I've been in Blueberry Land for awhile now. And finally came across just the place I wanted to stop to buy some blueberries. It's was a fancy decked out garage, with heavy plastic leuvers hanging down like a wall that's really a door. Behind that clear plastic were people (over the age of 75) working that conveyer belt of blueberries. Sorting, tossing, organizing them. It was fun to watch! I haven't seen this before. I hope those older people were okay with that work. And not held against their will. They were busy bees buzzing around doing their thing. I should get out more and see things. I got a pint of fresh blueberries for $3.50 that will last me a week.
I will say I saw more cyclists today than any other day yet. They are biking Route 1 like I am walk/running it. They are coming toward me as they move with traffic. They are on their touring bikes, all loaded up with their supplies, and I know it's heavy. They inspire me! I was especially moved by seeing a group of 10 cyclists, ranging in age from 13-16 years old, in single file, churning up one of those mountains. They could not even hardly say Hi, as they were spinning it out in granny gear (we call it) to get up to the top. The last guy in the group was an adult, who just smiled and knew he was killing those young boys. I think he laughed a little when he went by me. Maybe a Boy Scout group adventure? Not sure, but their moms would have been proud. I was proud of them! Every time I was pushing my cart up today, I thought of them. Patiently getting the job done. Impressive. I've had a lot of time to think today, as the road was quiet for me, in a way, even though there was traffic flying by me. I was looking inward most all day. Thinking. Truly moving meditation.
My care package sure brightened my day! It was like a ray of sunshine, just like my husband. I also got to talk to Lauren, as she will fly out tomorrow to go see her good friend Mattie, for a weekend getaway.
I'm actually not sure what tomorrow holds. I'm traveling to areas highly populated with vacationers. I'm thinking about camping at Camden Hills State Park. I'll call them when I'm out on the road tomorrow and check them out. There's lots of options out there in Camden and Rockport, especially if your willing to dish out the $$$.
So we will see what happens.
TGIF tomorrow,
Cyndi

No comments: