Sunday, August 13, 2017

Day and Night 13 - "Home" for tonight

With the day beginning well (coffee, banana and peanut butter), I was excited to begin my journey to Brunswick. I had my cart stocked, and ready to roll. Along Route 1 today, there will be multiple towns with plentiful drink and food. There was no rain during the night, and none forecasted for the area(s) I would be traveling today. As I headed down the road, the ups and downs begin. I expected a day of it, but those steeper grades turned into more hill-like. And with a large smooth shoulder, this is a combination of goodness. I felt good, and was happy to see even a slight change in the terrain. The bonus was, the direction of Route 1 delivered miles of a shaded shoulder. What's that?! As that has not happened before. But I enjoyed it SO much. Off and on shade is always a treat. And the breeze.....geeezzz...that's one thing I will always remember about Maine. It's the perfect breeze. Right temperature, not to strong , and feels nice. So that was the theme of the day. The picturesque views are a glorious site for my eyes. I felt like I was really on vacation!
When I was coming into the town of Bath, Route 1 turned into a divided highway. That was okay, but after crossing a bridge, I was forced to exit the highway. Strange, and as I tried to get back on (facing traffic side), I couldn't get "up" the exit ramp because the traffic was just too much, and there was no shoulder on the exit ramp. It was a recipe for disaster. I checked out the area on my Maps and noticed Hwy is 26 runs right beside Route 1 for the next 7 miles (while Route 1 is divided, with official entrances and exit ramps). Well, that was a wise decision. It was far safer than trying to get back on Route 1. There was much less traffic, it was actually quiet. There were food places along the way, and I stopped for ice cream, too. I stopped to take pictures, and basically just enjoyed myself all the way. Just before I was getting into Brunswick, I saw it. A Walmart. I'll pop in real quick and stock up on my staples of bananas, peanut butter, bean dip and tortillas. It was a quick in-and -out. Who watches my cart while I shop? This time, the Walmart greeter did. He was a big fan of the thought of this "going across the US thing". When I was leaving, I thanked him, and he said, " You better hurry, you don't have time to dilly dally". Okay then. Off I go! Once in the parking lot, I cut across it, and a truck stops. Are you really going to Key West?! I tell him yes, I really am. He proceeds to tell me he could give me a ride, because that's where he's going for his daughter's wedding. Uh huh. Thanks, but I think I'll pass. He may really be going there. Or not.
I cruise in to Brunswick, and find it super cool! It's my new official favorite city yet. The downtown area, all the shops and cafes, the little foot bridges across the water ways, and its overall vibe. Nice, calm yet cool. When I get to where 26 meets Route 1, I text Larry and tell him I'm close to their house. Turns out, he was out walking (he's a huge fan of walking!) and was close by. I wait at that area for him, and sure enough, he's there, on foot, too! And turns out, the building I'm in front of (an old fixed up super cool building now) is where his office is. He wants to show me their office, and so we go inside. It's been fixed up so nicely! We don't stay long at his office, and it's time to head to their house. He walks to and from work every day, so off we go. It's 1 1/2 mile off course, but I look forward to a real house, with real people and real food. Larry and Ellen are two of the nicest people I'll ever meet! **I met them on the plane from DFW to Boston** So, we get to their house, and I meet Maui, their dog, and Earl, their cat. Being in their home makes me miss home so bad. It's such a beautiful home, with lots of natural light shining in.
I'm sent to the shower (2 days no shower now), and it's the bomb. No wondering about a creepy shower. It's great! Just like being at home. Then, I gather some things out of my cart, and piddle around, getting ready for tomorrow. I notice they are both on the couch with their laptops in their laps, just relaxing. I join in on their laptop party. We talk, visit, look at our devices and just unwind. No hurry to go anywhere or do anything. I learn more about them and their family. They have questions for me, and then we get ready for dinner as we talk. Ellen has cooked Bolognese, and the house is filled with this terrific smell!! We sit down at the kitchen table to eat. Pasta, salad, bread and the meat sauce. Best I've ever had, I loved it! We are talking and enjoying dinner, then she brings out dessert. Blueberry Peach Pie - with whipped cream! There are so many details of this evening, that I don't think I can list them all. My favorite? Maui, their dog, gets to lick everybody's plate after they are done eating. He's knows it too. Also, their favorite show is mine too. Big Bang Theory. Such a nice evening, but I have to go lay down. I'm just really tired! I thank them a thousand times over. So very grateful! I'm ready to go hop in a regular bed. So ready.
My eyes are trying to close, so I'll cut this short. Synopsis: This day Rivals as a favorite-day-yet, for me! The trip here AND the wonderful company has made this day marvelous. Oh, and this little city. Another favorite!! I loved everything about this day!!  And it's about to continue the reign of goodness when I sleep in this bed. I'm so very fortunate to be around such kind people. And a good cook!
Time to rest,
Cyndi
Update: John will also be here at a motel in Brunswick later tonight. Then we'll be back in sync!

No comments: