Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Day 9 - Plans and more Tidbits

I awoke in a teepee on a cot, in my sleeping bag, snug as s bug. Speaking of, the mosquitos weren't nearly as bad as I expected. And Dad, luckily no bears either. I proceeded to the amazing Bath House and brushed my teeth. I moved one door over to the Laundry Room, as it's warm in there, sat on the dryer, and ate my breakfast. I had water, a banana and peanut butter. Perfect. Then back to the teepee to pack up and head down the road. The rain is gone, and a magical day awaits me. A cool breeze and gorgeous scenery.
The plan is to get to Hancock today, 36 miles. I've try to find us a place to stay there, but everything is 'full'. It's a busy place around this part of Maine. Lots of canoeing, hiking, ATV riding and much more. There's many roads that allow ATV access, along with the cars. It's well marked as such. I've seen many signs of access to The Greenway, too. It's an active place! There's deer running across the road, some taking their time. And lobster traps everywhere you look.
As I was moving down Route 1, I missed the sharp turn to the right for Route 1, and noticed 2 miles down, I was on 1A. Oooppps. 1A and Route 2 ebb and flow - sometimes together and sometimes go to different cities. Thank goodness I had cell service, and saw it would meet back with Route 1 in Milbridge. As this was occurring, I was on the phone with David. I had no shoulder, dogs are loose and barking at me, mountains to climb, and there's a lot of traffic. Lesson learned. Stay on Route 1, silly girl, and watch for turns. I know better, so I'll do better. The A in 1A really means Awful, according to David.
Tidbits for the day:
1) What shoes are you wearing?
I am now only wearing my Altras (Intuition) size 8, every day. Why? Large toe box is the main reason. Your feet swell day after day, and these shoes deliver. They are wonderful endurance shoes and will last me 1,000 miles. Other reasons include the zero drop advantage, cushioning, ability to run or walk in them, and that they just generally fit my feet well. I wear the same pair everyday.
2) Hoarding
On my last crossing, I found myself stocking up on things. Food, drink, toothpaste, soaps, and all kinds of things. This started occurring when I found myself unsure of what's to come (convenience stores) on the route. Stores will show to be open. Then their not. Cafes are on the map, but then are closed. The unpredictability became so great, I begin to carry more. More turns into too much, real quick. I am fighting that urge to hoard. Being mindful of what I need, and practicing non-attachment to these things. Camping more has made it worse. You have to have supplies, for sure. This is something I will continue to find balance with. My needs vs my ability to get what I need. Just because the maps - or internet - says a store/cafe is there, doesn't mean it really is. In a car, that's okay. But on foot, it's a different story. This is a ongoing situation out here.
3) Chicken quesadillas, morning coffee and unsweet tea.
My favorite food is not something Maine has much of. I am substituting grilled cheese, as my temporary comfort food. Luckily, all cafes can do that. Morning coffee is not always available, and most likely not when your really wanting it. Unsweet iced tea is not common. Sweet tea? Yes. Even most of the Subway sub places only have sweet tea. All these things encourage my non-attachment practice. I don't them them to be successful or content. But they sure are a nice treat here and there!
Happy Wednesday!
Cyndi, whose going to look for a camping spot in Hancock later on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your adventure!!! keep it going!!

in looking at Google street view, seems like a lot of American flags, up and down the roadway. 'Merica!

Gene

My Little Life said...

American flags are everywhere, especially since much of Maine touches with the Canadian border, and the Americans are representing. But also, it's just a very patriotic place. Vets get in free to most all and any event, and there's just so much American pride up here! It's very refreshing. Thanks for following along with me!