Sunday, August 20, 2017

Day 20 - The Beauty of RI

Rhode Island is certainly one of my favorite states now. This time of year is perfect. The weather is mild (although in the 90's by afternoon), but it's a feel-good warmth. I'm still a sweaty mess whenever I reach my destination each day, but that's everyday. No escaping that.
I slept surprisingly well last night at The Americas Best Inn in North Kingston. The bed was very nice, but it was the pillow I loved. It fit me just right. I slept in a little longer than usual, as the campground would prefer you not check in before 1:00, so I plan on enjoying my day, getting there leisurely as well. When I left the motel, John was not up and going, as he had gotten in around 1:30 am due to the long miles yesterday and still not feeling well. More on that later, as I will dedicate a blog posting to that topic later today.
I had a good feeling about today. The road was smooth with plenty of room for me. I came upon many people on the shoulder either running or walking. I spoke with several, and one lady in particular stopped her run to visit. She had many questions, which I happily answered, and then asked my destination for the day. I told her Burlingame State Park, and she explained it was quite a ways away. Yes, I explain we do that each day. She begin to tell me since it's Sunday, it's Beach Day, and Route 1 will be very busy and to be extra careful. Will do, I say! And off I go with a good warning of what to expect. Route 1 did not disappoint. It was as she said. Around Warwick, I saw an option to take Route 1A Scenic. I think I'll try it, and so glad I did. It was calm, had lots of drink and food opportunities, and was quaint. Along that portion, I picked up a subway sandwich, and two glasses of unsweet tea from McDonald's. Comfort items. While in McDonald's, a retired gentleman by the name of Ken was eyeballing my cart. Then me, then back at my cart. He begin figuring out I was really going to Florida. Well, he and Bev are from Florida, you know. After telling me I look like a "greyhound", they invited me to stay at their place when I make it down there. They would be back home September 19th. They gave me all their pertinent information freely, and would await to hear from me later on. They are like sweet grandparents you just can't say 'no' to. Loving and caring spirits. They beep beep'd when they drove by me in their car with Florida plates.
I cruise down 1AScenic and enjoy the beautiful houses and area. It was an upscale neighborhood with lush, green landscaping. This pretty route put me back on Route 1 eventually, which was good, too as it has an ample shoulder to relax on. It's also vacant of supplies, because it has entrance and exit ramps to be mindful of each and every time I come upon one. They are the roads that take you to the different beaches, and that's where all the convenience stores are. It is Beach Day, I hear. Overall, it was good 30 miles. I'm feeling good, and able to enjoy the surroundings around me. I made it into Charlestown, and found some supplies before I head to the campground. I'm at a local restaurant eating just now. Then one more mile down is the State Park. I was fortunate to have about 70% shade today, on the shoulder, as the tall trees blocked much of the sun. I'll get to the park after awhile, no real hurry, and I'm so close.
I look forward to sleeping outdoors tonight. I think the weather will be perfect for it.

Happy Sunday to you!
Cyndi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad all is going well. I'm anxious to hear about John and not feeling well. It is hard to be on a relaxing vacation when not well, can't imagine this type of vacation and being ill. Keep up the good spirits and writing. Good wishes for John too.

My Little Life said...

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for asking about John. I blogged on how he's doing, so everyone will know he's okay. He just needs to take a break. He may even try to come back and "finish" it sometime (later this year?). Only time will tell. I'm glad he's going to do the best thing for him. It takes courage to do that. Hope your doing well, Cyndi