Sunday, August 6, 2017

First FAQ's

1) What food do you carry? If possible, always bananas, an apple, peanut butter, tortillas and bean dip. Those are my staples. Of course plenty of water. 

2) Do you take supplements, vitamins or salt tablets? 
No, I don't. If I feel that I need salt, I'll salt my sandwich, baked potato (cafe food), or something like that. You get very "in tune" with your body and its needs. I try never to neglect it if at all possible. If I feel I need to eat, I do. Same with drinking, but I have to force myself to drink enough. The only items I take daily are the HelioCare for assistance in sun protection, and my inhalers. I have a daily inhaler for my asthma, and my "rescue" inhaler. I keep them close. 
My goal is to eat and drink well enough to fuel my body. 
3) How's your weight? 
I'd like to tell you I knew exactly, but I don't. I think my body is still acclimating to this daily grind, and will find it's happy place with time. My goal? Keep my weight up. Eat, and then eat again. What makes me feel good on the road is when I eat decent. Fruits, eggs, breads.....easy to digest foods and good, clean fuel. I tried whoopie pies on several occasions, and it taste good at the time, but then I don't feel all that great. It's not as good of a energy source as I thought it would be. Or should be! 
4) Got any blisters yet? 
I could write a book on this topic. Short answer? They are brewing, and I know it. It's a slow, losing battle. I'll fight it the whole way. Best action? Preventative maintenance. I have to make myself stop whenever I feel a hot spot. I want to just keep going, but it's a bad price to pay. In the morning, I Body Glide most all parts of my feet, place bandaids on spots I know are my trouble areas, and go from there. I also put paper tape around several of my problem toes, and that helps immensely! Bandaids get added throughout the day, if necessary. Since it's been three days camping, I've had the same bandaids and tape on that whole time. When I do get to shower (I stink!), I'll re-do. It's just part of this journey. Foot maintenance. Can't ever ignore it, or I'll be sorry. 

No comments: