Friday, August 4, 2017

Night 3 into Day 4 - All's Well

In a twist of  events, John decided to stop at the campground as he was coming into Holton.  It was about 9:30 PM, and I was lying in my sleeping bag on my yoga mat on the picnic table, listening to the creatures in the woods beside me, and explained how to get to my campsite. He appears with all his flashy blinking lights on, and we go ahead and discuss the following mornings plans. It's 90 miles to the next 'big' town, so we will break that up into 3 days. Tomorrow? Destination: Weston. 32 miles, an easy day if the mountains don't grab hold of me. I'm in charge of finding our camping spot for that night. As I will most likely arrive first. Maybe a church, business or abandoned road will do. No grass! As the ticks out here are ruthless. Camp spots needs to be cement, gravel or something that isn't vegetation. That reminds me, gotta do a tick-check soon! And speaking of, potty spots are also included in this rule, which limits where you can "squat" and not be seen.
I digress. So I'm laying on the picnic table and we finish our agenda discussion. John is off to shower, and then will sleep on another picnic table (with awning) not too far away. I won't see him again til in the morning. I close my eyes and listen to the rustling in the woods. Things are happening in there, and foreign noises are made.  When David found out I was going to be camping that night, and John was possibly not gonna be there as well, he had a "protection talk" with me. It goes like this: Where's  your knife? Have it out and ready to use. If you do have to use it, don't use it sparingly. Make sure you get 5 to 6 hard stabs. An angry, hurt bear - or person - will just make it worse. Make sure you "take care of it". He continues awhile longer, pausing to say in several occasions, "You understand me?" Yes, sir. I let him say ALL his words, til he became quiet. Then he says, "I feel better now". We both did. We said our good-nights, love you...and hung up until tomorrow.
I did fall asleep, hard. Just so you know, I did not need to stab anyone or anything. Then after adequate re-charging, my body becomes restless. Tossing and turning. It's okay, I'm still "resting ". I did not set my alarm either. I knew the sunrise at 5 am would wake me. We are going to get a later start due to a lighter mileage day (32 miles), and can't actually "make camp" until dusk. No hurry! Since we were on the outskirts of Houlton, we had the availability of convenience stores (that were open) and a Walmart and McDonald's. This day is starting out fabulous! I restocked my cart with bananas, apples, tortillas and bean dip. I'll get tea and coffee at McDonald's and hit the road. I'm going to blog this morning, so I won't be moving very fast, but I got all day to get to Weston and plan on enjoying the journey. There's plenty of ups and downs again today. I'm going to soak it up.
The rain will come and go for the next few days. So my "camping" spot I pick needs to have a over-hang of some sort, if at all possible.
Happy Friday!
Cyndi
No quesadillas yet. Not even close. My tortilla and bean dip is the closest I got. And it's yummy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As i'm reading through your post and hunting for the word Quesadilla , im glad we didn't make it a drinking game for every time you said the Q word. David , im taking notes, so that was stab 5 or 7 times. Go Cyndi Go. Remember hydration! inside joke.