Saturday, August 12, 2017

Night 11 - Campground Fun

Things are hopping around here at the Camden Hill State Park Campground. In my huge RV spot, little me sits on the picnic table. I piddle around, reminiscing about the many times I camped with my family as a child. The campground is just about full, and people are setting up for their weekend stay. I eat some bean dip on a tortilla (one of my cart favorites), and fill up all my water bottles with the water here in my designated spot. I have electricity, so I start charging my devices (phone, blinking light for the morning fog again, etc), and gather my things for a shower. The bathhouse here is as you'd expect it to be for a state park, but slightly better. I greatly enjoyed the shower, and then brushed my teeth. Life is good. As I walk back and forth from the bathhouse, people say Hello, are roasting marshmallows, kids are riding their bikes. Who needs those fancy Inn's down on the water. Well, they are nice. I get back to #55 and begin unpacking my sleeping bag, bivy sack, and little Walmart $2.79 pillow, which I love. I roll my yoga mat on the picnic table and set up my sleeping bag inside my bivy sack. Turns out, rain is now a possibility, and fog for sure. The kind of fog that seems like your in a rain cloud. My bivy sack is what I use to keep the wetness off my sleeping bag. I have a tarp too, and will getvthat out soon. I read awhile, relax, talk with David, talk with my sweet inlaws, Max and Carol. Just regular stuff. As I'm settling in, my neighbors in their super-fancy RV (of which I'm coveting) comes out to walk their dog. We say Hello and start a conversation. It goes like this. "We had a bet about you. I thought you were hiking, and he says you were running.". They proceed to tell me I've been the topic of their conversation, and entertainment, since I "rolled" into spot #55. Sue and Richard. Fairly new RV-ers. And they did it right, as their big rig is a house. They invite me in to show me around, and I meet their two cats and a dog. They ask questions, and tell me about themselves, as they insist I sit down. Leather couch, marble floors, fireplace, and a refrigerator bigger than the one I have at home. We chat, and I really enjoyed them! They said that they didn't like me sleeping "out in the open" on the picnic table, and that I (and John) could sleep in their reclining lawn chairs. They are under the awning (of their RV), so if it rains, no problem. Okay then. And we shall. I'm feeling safer by the minute. John arrived earlier than usual, and I showed him where the bathhouse was, as well as our just-made new sleeping arrangements. He's very satisfied with that idea.
I get ready for bed, put my sleeping bag/bivy sack in the chair, and recline. I've never slept in one of these!
In the early morning hours, rain begins around 2am. The awning of their RV is our lifesaver. From 2-5 am it rains. It's good sleeping, as the temperature is around 57 degrees. The reclining chair has been wonderful, and certainly a blessing. It's now 5:30 am, and sprinkling. It's a good time to get ready to go. So I'm off to the bathhouse to brush my teeth and wash my face. Then it's time to fight that non-existent shoulder. Hopefully the traffic won't be too bad. But this is a high tourist area, so we'll see what this day brings. I look forward to it!
More later, as this rain will have my phone tucked away in my cart.
Happy Camping,
Cyndi

No comments: