Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Day/Night 16 - Easy going

After leaving Kittery, Maine this morning and moving down Route 1, I knew the 20 miles would probably be considered an 'easy' day. And that's exactly how it turned out. I'm always hesitant to know For Sure, because just when you think everything's okay.....it's not. But today was a day full of people with good energy, kind faces and inquisitive questions. I was taking my time moving today. No hurry, and I was giving my body a much needed break. Along the way, I feel in love with Portsmouth. What a great town! People are out and about, as it's a very active community from what I saw. I had a perfect cup of coffee at Breaking New Grounds, and continued to move into New Hampshire seamlessly. The shoulder was wonderful, and when there was no shoulder, there was a sidewalk. Thank you, New Hampshire! I cruised into North Hampton, then to Hampton. How nice is that?! I stopped to eat (I forgot the name of it), but they make all their breads homemade, and hand cut donuts. Although I'm not really sure what that meant. It sounded fancy. I got an egg sandwich with my waitress's pick of the bread. I figured she'd know which one would be really good. And she did. It was super tasty, like an egg sandwich super-sized. Their unsweet tea was stronger than my coffee I had earlier, and life was good. Throughout my day, many people asked the usual question, "Are you really going to Key West?". It says so on the front of my cart, but they are just not sure, and have many questions to make sure I'm just not crazy. I noticed one guy could have asked question after question, as one led to another. Then another guy in a Wrangler Jerp pulled over in a parking lot I was going by, to stop me. He's a cyclist, and was trying to figure it all out, too. The one thing in common with several people today is one particular question: How old are you? That question comes up more and more often. After I tell them, 53, they ask how my knees are, etc. Yes, my friends, my knees are sore sometimes, and quite frankly, I have many aches and pains as we all do as we get older. I'm not exempt. I just keep going anyway.....and ibuprofen helps. A lot of ibuprofen.
I was on the phone with my daughter, Lauren the other day, when someone stopped me to inquire about my situation. And they also asked the age question. She could hear them ask me and Lauren was a little surprised at this turn of events. "Why are people asking you that, Mom?", she asked in such a way that made me feel like maybe I shouldn't be telling people my age. I really don't know, but people ask many unusual questions, and I just try to answer as if what I'm doing is a normal thing. I like to fly under the radar. I'm always happy to talk to others, and it often opens people's minds to places they haven't gone before. Thoughts they have not considered in their life. I hope they leave me thinking 'maybe I can do fill-in-the-blank'. Because really, anything is possible.
After Hampton, shortly came Seabrook. Now, that's my kind of town. It had every known store and restaurant that every "regular " city has. It was a city of everything from Hobby Lobby to Chili's restaurant to Dick's Sporting Goods to Big Lots - all along one strip of the highway. Any store you wanted to go to? They had it. I'm fascinated by it because I only get a glimmer of offerings of stores along Route 1. And Seabrook had it all. Still fascinated.
Then, there it was, Rusnik Family Campground. Tucked away just slightly off Route 1, and would be my haven for the rest of the day. Swimming pool, putt putt golf, game room, volleyball, and more. I did dip my feet and legs in the water. Don't forget the showers (quarter for every 5 minutes, and the spider in the shower with you is no charge), laundry facilities and a bathroom not far from my camp site A8. Water, electricity and the ever-famous bed of mine, picnic table. Sweet!
I settle in. Shower, and even wash my clothes. I mean, why not!? Now it's time for dinner. Decisions decisions. Should I eat food out of my cart or there's a pizza place close by. Stay tuned for that choice, as I've still not made that final decision just yet. I'm going to do a little yoga first, on my mat, and mull that over.
I do know one thing for sure. I went from Maine to New Hampshire to Massachusetts today. And I'm thrilled to have seen it all. I'll continue in Massachusetts on Route 1 toward Boston tomorrow, just stopping short of that great city. But I'll get there, as The Econo Lodge beckons me tomorrow night. Then Friday, on a predicted rain day, I'll move across Boston. There's so much to look forward to, and so many great memories I have thus far.
See you tomorrow!
Cyndi

1 comment: