Sunday, August 6, 2017

Day 6 - Heading to Calais

In the quiet of the morning, I head to Princeton. What I've observed so far is there seems to be three initial reactions to me: 1) Scared, 2) Cautious, or 3) Kind. Sometimes they change, but mostly their initial reaction sticks. This is so true in life. We meet people, and generate a perception. Until it's otherwise proven, that's what we think. But it doesn't mean it's reality. So I welcome each persons reaction, and stay confident in myself. This energy can usually be felt, and most people relax a little. But I am a little odd looking. What has really helped is my intentions written on my shirt and cart. It helps people not to "wonder" so much. After all, it is Day 6 without any police pulling me over, searching my cart (for a baby?!) and running my drivers license. The elimination of that helps me feel more regular. And relaxed. 
I arrived in Princeton, not knowing how much time I would be spending there. I had passed through Indian Township first, and found that to be the poorest town I've seen yet. Yet another mile or two brings a cafe, grocery store (a real one) and two convenience stores. I've hit the jackpot! First, the cafe. Egg sandwich, please, and coffee. I head directly to their bathroom to brush my teeth (toothbrush in my shorts pocket), wash my face and freshen up. I stink. But this will do for now. I come back and there it is. My egg sandwich freshly cooked, and the coffee....strong. I'm a half/calf drinker, so lookout world, I'm getting crazy here. I enjoy it, get a refill on coffee and head back out. At their grocery store, I buy more bean dip for my homemade bean burritos. I still have tortillas left in my cart. Oh, and more bananas, then fill my bottles with their sink water. Ready! 
The grocery store employees were all so cheerful and happy. It's small, and they are all doing their jobs with a pep in their step. I just wanted to stay there. Plus you know how grocery stores are, as it was nice, cool and refreshing in there! 
But nope, I'm heading to Calais. Did you know that's where the Greenway Trail starts? I know you do, Dad, cause you were the one who told me. Even though we won't be taking it, we will stay on Route 1, but come across it now and then. 
There have been so many people saying "I saw you back in so-in-so" or asking questions (in a happy voice) about the trip I'm making. Such nice and interesting people. This is a route many people use to do this type of thing. Walking, running or biking, so it's not completely foreign to them. Something I find intriguing, every time, is those people who stop their car, roll their window down, and ask me for directions. "Do you know where the Nook and Cranny Restaurant is?". That really happened. "How do I get to Billy Bob's Cabins?". I give up. I'd like to know where those cabins are too. I could have used them! It's all quite entertaining. 
Before I know it, I'm heading into Calais. I go by a National Wildlife Refuge, and start coming into town. The terrain is very different. There's rolling hills, a pleasant breeze, the river, and there's Canada again.I detour to the Walmart there, and pick up a couple of things. One being a small pillow. Perfect. I head to The International Motel. I owe it an apology, as I was a bit derogatory about motels in general. I had a few too many bad experiences with them. They have done a fabulous job fixing it up, and the view out back is very relaxing, breezy and comforting. My room faces the river, and there's a path where people are walking and biking. I go inside my room and start unloading my cart. It's time to do a clean-out. I want to shower, I want to go eat, and I want to clean out my cart. So I unload my cart, decide to throw a few things away, as it's time to lighten it a bit. I have a better idea of what I'm needing. I gather my dirty clothes, as they will be washed in the shower, due to no laundry facilities nearby. I then jump in the shower, and what a treat that was!! It felt wonderful!! I washed my clothes, and was all brand new. Now, it's time for dinner. The Office had told me there were three restaurants about a half mile down, so off I went. One was a Mexican food place, and of course I went there. And your right, I ordered a chicken quesadilla! So so yummy! As I returned to the motel, John was just arriving. So now, he and I each head to our own rooms as it's time to relax and unwind. We will meet in the morning, and have tentative plans to go to Whiting. 
For now, I rest. 

Til tomorrow,
Cyndi 

No comments: