Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Day and Night - Loving Maine

Day 7 was a good day in many ways. First, it started out with fresh tea from a cafe right by the International Motel in Calais. They filled up my 5-day-old McDonald's tea cups with their fresh brewed tea at 5 am this morning. I had a wonderful day on the road, which ended up including great people (see previous blog), and lunch at The Friendly Restaurant in Perry, Maine. I ordered a grill cheese on rye bread, pickles on the side, and a large glass of unsweet tea. It was probably one of the best meals I've had so far. Delicious, comfort food. The best part was getting my 5-day-old McDonald's tea glasses refilled again with their yummy tea. Isn't it funny what makes us happy? 
After that great lunch, with all the great people before it, I was enjoying it all. I was in no particular hurry. The head winds as well as the off-and-on shoulder slowed me a bit, but I spent time stopping, taking pictures and looking around. I had two options we were considering for the night: 1) Camp at Cobscook Bay State Park which is about 4-5 miles before Whiting, our original destination, or 2) Go on into Whiting and find a place to camp that has a overhang or coverage of some sort, as rain tonight is 100% going to happen, and on into tomorrow as well. 
I picked option 1, because it was a sure thing to stay dry while camping, as the State Park had that type of availability. But, it has no food or drink (probably water though!). Option 2 was a sure thing for food and drinks (as the one convenience store there was open til 8 pm) but left me to figure out where to camp and stay dry. So it's quite the conundrum. Which would you pick? I picked option 1, until I got 1/2 mile from the State Park, and thought that I could go 4-5 more miles this evening, before rain hits, and that's less miles to be moving in the rain tomorrow. Moving along in the rain is hard on my feet, as wet shoes are an invitation for blisters. So at the last minute, I decide to go the 4-5 more miles to Whiting, which made about 40 miles total today. 
When I got there, I began immediately looking for shelter to camp. I went in the (one) convenience store and asked around, but had no success. There's very few options here to wild/bush camp with coverage. They encouraged me to go back down to the Logging Business and ask to stay on their patio. I saw it when I went by, and it looked like a possible option. But my best option was the house next door to the gas station. Who knew?! For Sale - and no one living in it, with a fabulous covered patio. I texted John and told him. Be "invisible", we call it. In other words, sneak to the back, and go to the patio. 
Then, after making that decision, I bought food and drinks for us both at the store, left quietly, and sneaked nonchalantly next door. I will stay quiet and still, until the store closes, for sure, to not draw attention to myself. I'll see them at 5 am for coffee!! 
So this is life out here. Different towns, with different availability of things, and variable weather. It's makes for a very fluid trip, at times. Figuring things out, then changing the plan, and maybe even changing it again. The night is young, and only time will tell if this awning will protect us or not. 
My goal is to make it to Columbia Falls tomorrow to the Cottonwood Campground. I made a reservation to stay in a teepee for the night. How exciting! It's a whole $15/night for runners/walkers/bikers going down Route 1. That's me! They have laundry and bathroom facilities, and all I have to do is get there. In the rain. What I've mentioned briefly is that I brought my heavy$ss rain boots along. It will be my first stab at long mileage in them. I've done 8 miles in them, at home practicing in them. You get the idea. I'll probably do a combination of running shoes and rain boots, depending on the amount of rain. Oh, and I'll wear my rain suit, too. It's around 34 miles, so wish us luck, and hopefully the rain will give us a break. But it's not looking good. Good news? There's towns with convenience stores along the way, and more beautiful scenery. 
Update: 
The night went well under the back porch awning. The rain was only rain. No storms. Calm and soothing to sleep with. It was cool and refreshing, not too cold. I had a small pillow, and it made ALL the difference in the world! What a great nights sleep. 
I hop up, gather my things back into my cart (rain-ready!) and head over to the convenience store next door to eat, brush my teeth and wash my face. It's going to be great! 
It will be 30-something miles to Columbia Falls and to the Cottonwood Campground. It will be a slow trip with no shoulder and rain. But I'll get there. One step at a time. 
My heart is happy in this convenience store, as this store employee is exploding with a Maine accent and happiness. Love her! And she makes great coffee. "Eye-opener" coffee, she calls it. Did you hear that Lauren? I had the "Eye-opener" coffee, yes I did! This will get me down the road, for sure. 
Today is one week on the road. We are half way through Maine today. Whoop whoop! 
Hope your Tuesday is terrific,
Cyndi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Really enjoying your blog. That grilled cheese sounds delicious. I'd like to hear your version of all the state accents when you get back.

My Little Life said...

i better start practicing!