Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Day 16 - Oh, Happy Day!

Wow, that was a comfy bed at the Days Inn in Kittery. By far the nicest Days Inn I've ever stayed at. After eating my breakfast and getting ready, John and I meet up and discuss the days events. It's decision time: either 20 miles to a campground, or 25 miles to pricey BnB's, or 40 miles toward Boston and reasonable motels. Normally, 40 miles is not a big deal. But to be able to enjoy the morning - even just a little - at the motel is priceless. We decide to enjoy the beautiful day, and head 20 miles to the Rusnik campground in Salisbury, with no sense of urgency. And what a great day to do it! No rain is forecasted, the weather is picture-perfect, and there's so much to see along the way. Done. Easy day, and I'm feeling like vacation is settling in. I leave that sweet motel, to continue my journey. I'm going to soak in every step today.
As move down the road and approach Portsmouth, people are out biking and walking to work in this community, and it just feels good. Cool breeze, warm sun, and clear skies. I'm out of the tourist area, for now. It's time to cross more bridges! There's rules for which ones you can and can't cross as a pedestrian. I have to watch and be mindful of my actions. The people who live here know, and are happy to help. It's amazing how each area has its own vibe, and this area is active, sparkling and welcoming. Less cars, more people running, walking and biking.
The plan for me, today, you ask? I'm going to take this day "for me". No step I take will be of any hurry or haste. A walking pace of comfort and leisure. I will enjoy New Hampshire every step of the way, and make my way to Massachusetts today. I will stop for a good cup of coffee, shop at a grocery store, and just breathe.
Rusnik Family Campground will be my final destination today. Showers, laundry, and then I just might sit around the pool. Maybe do a little yoga on my mat. Tomorrow will be a day of travel towards Boston. For now, this friendly city is irresistible. No hurry out of here.
I'm happy to have completed the 540 miles of Maine, and look forward to what these next states want to show me.
Enjoy Hump Day!
Cyndi


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on finishing the 2nd largest state on your route! Enjoy your day as it sounds like a wonderful place to soak it all in!!

My Little Life said...

Thanks! And I hope your 1st-day-of-school is a success!