Friday, August 11, 2017

Day 11 - So very grateful

Do you ever wake up and just know it's going to be a good day? I awoke refreshed and ready to tackle my day. The Spring Fountain motel was okay, and certainly gave me a nice break, and time to relax. And I did! The morning started with a banana and peanut butter. The good peanut butter that David included in my care package that I received yesterday. So yummy! I packed up my cart and met John out front. We pow-wow'd and decided it's best to try to get to the Camden Hills State Park, about 36 miles. The potential problem is that it's Friday, and the weekend crowd wants to get there too. I called to make a reservation, but it was first come, first serve. So, I decided to make it my mission to focus on getting there and seeing if I could grab a camping spot, before they are all gone.
I started down the road and noticed a difference in how I feel. I'm beginning to bounce back, and not feel quite as fatigued. I don't know how long it will last, but I'm happy to feel a little more pep in my step. I move down the road with plenty of supplies in my cart. I've got lots of food from David's care package, and all 4 drink containers full. I can go for awhile with stopping for anything, which always saves time. Within a few miles, I pass a few cyclists. It's always enjoyable to see other folks out here doing similar trips, for fun.
I start thinking about my feet. I've used a different tactic this time. I use less bandaids, and instead, cover (tape) over my problem areas (with the paper tape). I learned this awhile back from a Ultra running phenomenon, Don Winkley. He's in his 70's now, and his legs are 'cut' like a 20 year old. He's done so many races in his life, I cannot even begin to list them all. But he and I did the Rouge/Orleans 126.2 race a few years back. David had agreed to crew us, and you start the race on Friday night at 8 pm. They do that so you have to run 2 full nights to finish the race. Tricky. In order to prevent blisters, Don had a 'system' that he uses, and wanted to also fix my feet the same way. So what Don did for me was to first wash my feet, rinse them with rubbing alcohol, then used paper tape to wrap every toe, around my heels, and up the back of my ankle, to get all the possible rubbing spots covered. I was curious to see how that would work for me. 30-something hours later (or was it 40 hrs, I don't remember) I finished the race with zero blisters. I had run from Baton Rouge to New Orleans on the Mississippi levy, and lived through it. (Thank you David, I still owe you for that one!) Don is a long time Ultra runner, and a legend whose done it all. I have learned a lot from him. This brings me to the Ultra World in general. It's a community of people who I constantly learn from. There's so many endurance race options for mileage over a marathon. My running partner on this trip is someone I met years ago on my first multi-day race. The Vol State Race. It's a race across Tennessee (hence, The Volunteer State) that includes 314 miles to be finished within 10 days. It's a go-on-your-own, crewed or uncrewed, fun and fabulous race. I've done it a few times now, and John does it every year. So who is John? He's a Ultra runner from Virginia Beach, retired, a running coach and endurance guru. He's not as fast as he once was, but he's a machine. He just keeps going. He knows the road rules like the back of his hand (which highways allow what, etc), what he needs to survive, and thinks of every detail. He's a great partner to have on a US crossing. We each go our own pace during the day, and communicate by text throughout the day. We get to the same place at night, and then meet every morning to talk about what the plans are for the day. He usually plans a lot of the route, but sometimes I do. We just ebb and flow and get it done. We bounce ideas off each other, and make sure the other is okay throughout the day. It's like a brother and sister relationship. We bicker here and there, but always have each other's back.
What I notice immediately as the day begins is the terrain. The ups and downs are not as steep. Oh, thank goodness. I'm going to catch a break! It helped me to move just a hair faster - or should I say easier - down the lovely shoulder provided. I'm focused, not opening up myself to talk much to others along the way. I'm on a mission to get to Camden Hills State Park. No blogging, no distractions. Of course I did get to talk to David and Lauren to check on them. They are busy busy, and happy. All's well.
I know I keep saying this, but the scenery is spectacular. Especially today! I'm cruising down the Atlantic Coast highway, Route 1, of course, and the breeze is cool, but not too cool. The views through the trees of the Atlantic Ocean are indescribable. The scenic overlooks cannot be passed up. Gorgeous, phenomenal and majestic. My eyes can't take it all in. I stop to take pictures. The pictures don't do it justice. I look around, staying in the moment, being mindful of what's around me. The beauty of it all. This has to be the best day for me, enjoyment-wise. I did eventually get to steeper hills, and lost my shoulder. So the off-and-on on the highway ensued - for miles. (That will wear you out.) But I made it!
I pulled into the State Park, went up to the 'Camping Check-In" area, and told the lady my story. As brief as possible. She remembered me, as I had called earlier and explained my predicament, that I'm trying to get there in time to "get a spot for camping". She offered me a RV spot with (drinking) water, electricity and wifi. Yes! Sounds perfect! I pay my 25.00 (John will also need to pay 25.00 for the extra person, as she's using the RV spot as a camp spot for us.) That's a deal!! I get my little card that should on my rear view mirror, my State Park map, and I'm off to my spot. Oh, it's right here. #55, and right by her little office. I push my cart to my spot, in between all the big RV's. I fill my water bottles up, I start charging my devices, and now it's time to go shower! Yip-ee! It's going to be a cold night, and there's no overhead coverage for me, so preparations for that are a little different. You don't want to wake up covered in condensation/dew.....all cold AND wet. Be prepared. I'll get my tarp out tonight. I feel so very grateful to be healthy enough to make this journey. I've spoke to several people along the way today, who ask many questions. How long will this take you? I answer, "Hopefully around 2-3 months". The guy checked his watch, looked back up at me and said,"I don't think your going to make that.". He may be right, who knows. That's my plan! Another guy inquires about my journey, and asks my age. I'm not sure what he was getting at, but I just smile. Gotta do this while I can! I love talking to people along the way. They are so confused by me, concerned for me, and just downright curious. One question leads to the next. I love answering them all. But I do need to go get a campsite, too. It's finding balance to enjoy the journey along the way. These people are ALL so nice. It's definitely one of my favorite parts. I could talk to them all day. And they love their place here in Maine.
I'm grateful for a place to lay my head tonight. For a shower. For my food and water. For meeting all these great people.
I hope your Friday night finds you just as happy as I am.
Full of gratitude,
Cyndi

2 comments:

redtop said...

amazing and encouraging you are ! so proud of you ............ have a good nites visit at your park .................bearless , I hope !

My Little Life said...

The good news is, if I hollar, my RV neighbors will hear me. I hope. Keep your fingers crossed for "no bears"!