Monday, August 7, 2017

Day 7 continues - Touched by others actions

Blueberry Land. That's where I am. Blueberry Cabins, Blueberry Cafe (I wish), Blueberry is life around here. It's their thing. After I went past St Croix, (beautiful!), I came into the blueberry land of Robbinston. Now the breeze is perfect, the shoulder is plentiful and it's the sweet-spot of the morning. The time of day you WANT to go out and run, no obligation to it, but for the sheer enjoyment. I simply listen to the sound of the wind in the trees. No music or audio book necessary. Everything feels good. I know all too well it's going to pass, but in the moment, it's pure joy. And I lean into it. There's no feeling of hurry or anywhere to be. Just moving along at a comfortable pace. 
As I'm enjoying myself, moving down the road, a car pulls over. Out jumps a nice man whose excited to tell me about a guy he met on an Amtrak train who crossed on foot east to west. He ended up writing a book about it, and wanted to share that information with me. This is that moment in time you want to say, "I did that, too." I decide against telling him, as I've been practicing my "non-stealing" (one of our yoga teachings) that say: when others are having a moment, telling a story, or sharing an experience - let them. Don't steal that away from them. So I listened, soaking up his words. Like-minded people are always wanting to share their journey and experiences with each other - and everyone, really. I look forward to checking on that further. The added bonus was him telling me about a campground just before getting into Whiting. He lives and travels around here, and knowing that rain is most likely coming tonight, that I would need coverage. Wow. So blessed. I know I have that as a great option. He's said it's a mile off Route 1, but it would be well worth it to stay dry overnight. His friendly face and spirit got back in his car and left. I thank him for stopping. 
It's an interesting phenomenon that along the US/Canadian border, the cell service from Canada rules. My phone will only allow text and some calls, but no data. So I rely on wifi spots, or family, for needed information. David checked on this campground the nice passerby mentioned - Thank you, David! - and I got the information I needed. It's certainly an option for tonight. I'm I'm moving down the road and through this process, I notice a car awaiting up ahead in a vacant drive. As I get closer, this older lady pulls out in her 88 Caprice (it's a big older car) with windows down, slowly and carefully, literally within a foot of me. "Here." holding out 2 dollar bills and 4 quarters. "It's all I got, but have a drink on me at the next place you can". She's SO close to me, she pushes it on me. She REALLY wants me to have it. Really. In that moment, I know she needs it more than me. I've gone through these scenarios in my head so many times, as this occurred on my last crossing. People are unhappy or insulted if you do not take what they are trying to give. So, I've learned in life that receiving is another way of being generous. It's not easy, to take from another who may need it more than you. But they are giving of themselves, and I have to realize that. It's a way of being generous when actually receiving. So I did. I took it graciously. I wanted to hug her, I almost could have as she was so close in her car. She smiled a loving smile and gingerly drove away. Oh, my heart was touched. I got that lump in your throat, just before you cry. I promised her, in my head, to pass this $3 on. I'll know when. Being out here on the road helps me work on myself as a person. Now that's a lifelong journey. 
Moving on down the road,
Cyndi

1 comment:

dani p. said...

this made my night. so beautiful and I can feel your joy friend..keep on keepin on. what a journey. you are amazing!