Saturday, August 5, 2017

Day 4 - Beauty of the Mountains

Awwwhhh the mountains. I feel like a broken record, it's so beautiful, and I can't say it enough. The smell of pine, like an air freshener should smell. This is out here, everyday, and I never really knew. The people of Maine are kind and supportive. The roads are well kept. Summer is great here! Yet, the amount of snow they get in winter is infallible. I can't even imagine how much, but I hear it's like the frozen tundra. 
In Houlton, we begin the day gathering food and water for the journey to Weston. There would be no running, little did I know. The mountain grade just keep getting steeper and steeper throughout the day. This is a Walk/Run journey, and yesterday was a fast (if possible) walk day. It ended up around 32 miles of ups and downs. I should not run the downs, as that's where shin splints lurk. So a steady quick walk was it. Almost like a recovery day, but yet my legs were toast when I arrive on top of the mountain in Weston. 
During these miles, there were no convenience stores or cafes. It's remote. Like desert, but in the mountains. David could not even "drop a man in" on google maps to see the area, as it said "Too Remote" of location. I guess that little car with the camera on top didn't want to drive these mountains. There's nothing out here except beauty for the eyes. For miles. 
Water became short, as the effort of work, and afternoon heat started knocking at my door, chipping away at my psyche. I can only move 'so' fast, there is a head wind, no availability for supplies. Now is a good time to do some self talk. I know your tired, I know supplies will be limited for the next couple of days, I know you don't know where you'll be sleeping at night. I know you don't have cell service. It's going to be okay. It's going to be okay. Keep going, one foot in front of the other, and you always get there. But these fly-bee thingies are circling me, biting me. No, that's just a nuisance. It's not a big deal. Keep moving. I change the record in my head to a new one, and it sounded more like this: look at this beautiful place, birds singing, people waving as they drive by, and it's not raining. There will be a place for you in Weston. You will find it. 
A better outlook helps me. When I find my mind circling down, I realign myself. It's easier sometimes than others. But it has to be done to continue . It is an ongoing process of finding the different levels of mental strength throughout this journey. 
The biggest bright spot throughout the day was when I saw a small building with a car parked out front. Like a small office for logging trucks or something. The sign was so faded I couldn't read it. I knocked and went in and there were two people in there sitting at desks. They stare at me. I have a whelp on my forehead from a bee sting (at the campground), and my right ear is nasty-looking from a healing skin graft. I explain, quickly, what I'm doing and inquire if there are any convenience stores from here to Weston. Good news! There IS one in Weston! A cafe/antique shop. So many times people "say" there's a store....and then there's not....or it's closed. I'm still happy to hear about it. They proceed to tell me the mountains will get steeper as I get to Weston. I'll be happy when the land is a little flatter, but for now, this is whipping me into shape. They then grant me TWO cold water bottles! So grateful, and off I go. With time, I get to Weston. The scenic overlooks are stunning, as you can see for miles and miles. Along this portion, David lets me know about a church in Weston that we might consider sleeping on their front porch. Funny, that's where the people in the little building (miles back) had recommended for a 'safe' place, too. But first, the cafe place! 
After taking in the views of East Grand Lake, I'm heading to find this cafe. Weston is so small, it's actually across the street from the church. And it's name? Cyndi's Antiques and Million Dollar View Cafe. It's a 2 for 1. Eat while you shop. And I did! The two women working there welcomed me with open arms! "Come in, I bet your thirsty!" Oh, I am! Long story short, they took great care of me! A bathroom to clean up in, an angus burger for dinner, hot fudge sundae, and an endless supply of iced tea! They asked where I will stay, and recommended the church porch. There's no question about it now. I'm sleeping on the church porch, and it's also one of only two others buildings in town. The options are limited. 
The cafe is closing soon, and I grab John dinner and drinks to take with me. He's behind a few hours and I've texted him to meet me at the church. The nice ladies grant me "well water" in all my water bottles, a glass of tea to go and wish me well. They have taken supreme care of any need I had. I even got some homemade peppermint tea shea butter, that they sell.It's lotion as thick as molasses, and I can use it for my feet, they said. And I will! This far exceeds any expectations I ever had for my day. But ah, it even gets better. Night is coming....

No comments: