Monday, August 14, 2017

Day 14 - Rejuvenated

I awoke to my alarm, in a completely dark room. The bed is more-than-comfortable, the temperature just right, and I feel like someone must have pushed my "OFF " button last night. I don't think I turned over, heard anything, or remember anything during the night. I was out, completely out. The delicious dinner and dessert Ellen had made was the finale to my day the night before. The guest room and guest bed was a retreat. Darkness, quiet and peaceful. There were no worries. Only rest. I did get up when my alarm sounded. I felt completely rejuvenated, and ready for the day. I go to the kitchen quietly and get my banana/peanut butter and some cold brew coffee they had for me in the refrigerator. I enjoy that sitting up in the luscious bed, just relaxing and enjoying my breakfast quietly. It's then I received a call from Lauren, and she was at the airport waiting for her flight #1, of 2, for the day. We visited and caught up on her weekend that was spent with her good friend in North Carolina. It was good to hear her voice and a great way to start the day. After that, I proceeded to gather my things and get ready to go. What a wonderful visit I had, and considered it my favorite place I've stayed yet. Granted, I've slept outside a lot, but it was glorious just the same. Ellen and Larry get up just as I'm about to head out the door. I hug and say my goodbyes, thank them, review the directions for getting back to Route 1 (I was off course about 1 1/2 miles, and it was certainly well worth it!) and head out the door. I have brought Thank You notes along in my cart, and left them one on the bedside table in the guest room. I just appreciated everything they did so very much. I may have mentioned, but their son has hiked the AT, rock climbs all over the US, and is a adventurer at heart. Needless to say, they "get" me. And welcomed me with open arms. Larry, is a molecular scientist, while Ellen is a retired preschool teacher. I learned so much from them both, and enjoyed getting to know them.
Now, it's go-time. I have a long day (over 40 miles) to get to my KOA campground in Saco/Old Orchard. Add in detours around Portland, and it will be quite a day. I started out well, and saw John along my way to the first town. We talked and caught up. He had made it to Brunswick last night around 10 pm and stayed in a motel. We will meet again tonight at the KOA Saco/Old Orchard Holiday campground. Off I go. I got to the outskirts of Portland with no problems. Matter of fact, it was lovely the whole way there. I ate early, and often. I'm going to stay ahead of my calories due to the mileage and time. I've done well so far, and sometimes just need to make a extra effort to continue it. So I stopped at a French bakery and had a ham and swiss croissant, then later I stopped at a deli and had a pastromi sandwich. I just made sure I was eating every so often.
As I approached Portland, Route 1 joins the Interstate, so I have to find an alternative route. What do I do? Call my travel coordinator, Sheryl (my sister) the Route Master, and she takes a look at the options, drops "a man" in to see how the road's shoulder looks, and checks mileage. After evaluating the options, she suggests to take Baxter St around Back Cove, over to Dartmouth, then to St Johns Rd. This detour will take me to Veterans Memorial Bridge, as only certain bridges can be crossed as pedestrians. This will be the second Bridge I take on Portland, as the first one was still on Route 1. Seeing what Portland has to offer is completely different "on foot". It's just not easy to enjoy what it has to offer. My roadways are limited. I did throughly enjoy the beauty of it, especially going along the path of Back Cove. It literally is a path right beside the water all the way around the Cove. So pretty! I came across an elderly man walking along, and he stops me to inquire about my journey to Key West (it's on the front of my cart). He said that I was going north, the wrong way. I tried to explain I "had to", in order to get back around to Route 1 (without an interstate with it). He said, " I know a better way!". I was super excited someone was going to tell me a shorter way around town! "Go to the airport ". Not funny.
I make all my detours, enjoy all the sites, eat yummy food, and enjoy that Maine breeze I love so much. I know my time in Maine is coming to an end. Another day or so. Gonna miss you, Maine! All 540 miles of you on (mostly) Route 1.
After detouring around Portland, I started moving again nicely. I got to talk to Lauren again while she had a layover in Chicago. I got to talk to David along the way today. It's just been good all the way around! Now I still had a little ways to go to the campground. And then finally, there it was. The biggest KOA sign I've ever seen!! I'm here! Wow, and I'm more tired than I thought I would be. That's okay, as I'm in a safe place and will sleep (most likely) on the picnic table after I take a nice, long shower. That always makes me feel good. Good sure feels good.
It's been another day of site-seeing. I enjoyed (most) every mile! But it's time to shower and settle in. This campground has it all. Everything you need, even a cafe onsite. I'm set!! Time to go unwind, and I hope you get to do the same!
Let's do this again tomorrow,
Cyndi, who needs to figure out where that destination will be. Most likely close to New Hampshire!!


No comments: