Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Day 8 - First Rain Day

I've had a rain night, two actually now, but this is a real rain day. After my "eye-opening" coffee, I head out in my rain jacket (the rain pants are SO big that I'll only wear them if I have to). I have my usual running outfit on, after all, I slept in it the night before. I've gotten my cart rain-ready, meaning what I want to stay dry is protected, and everything can just get wet. I did something different on this trip (vs east to west crossing) I got a storage container, with a tight fitting top, that's the right size to fit in the seat of the Bob stroller. It's just a plastic container. I keep clothes, my sleeping bag, a book, Dr Brown's maps of the restaurants he's picked along the way (which I've used), and anything else I deem dry-worthy. I call it my Dry Box. So with my cart ready, and I'm ready, I head into the rain. What's my biggest issues of this rain day? 1) The integrity of my feet, and 2) Safety for myself, and especially for cars and those people in them. I'll start with that. It's imperative that I'm not going to cause an accident. It's bad enouggh I put myself at risk on the side of the road with hardly a shoulder at times, in the rain. But, to have harm come to people in a car, because of me, is something I always think about, and do my best to prevent. I have blinky lights, and try to stay on a shoulder/off the road as much as possible. But sometimes the people in the cars are busy. Texting, talking, sleepy or such. I just have to be mindful as much as possible. Sometimes I'm emotionally tired (like today) from watching ahead of me, as I run facing traffic. I can't let my guard down, asghurt. 
As for issue #1 my feet, well, today was a very telling day. What would happen with wet feet for 34 miles? Off and on a shoulder, in wet gravel/dirt (like pushing my cart through sand at the beach), and the general beating of the miles in sloshing shoes and socks. What I did was each time I felt a hot spot talking to me. "Side of back heel just stung a bit" I stop, put a preventative bandaid/blister bandaid (whichever I grab first), as both types work well. I know it's raining on me, and I don't want to stop. But it's important for me to do this. Taking this time now will pay itself over and over later. And so I did, probably 3,4 or 5 times. And then that random sting would not come back = no blister starting. I also put ointment around my ankle bones where it rubs in my shoes when all that gravel gets in my socks. Ahhhh, the joy of it all. The result? Success.....for this rain day. All's well with my feet. 
I did hustle down the road the best I could, especially with no shoulder, at times and being in the (deep sometimes) wet dirt and gravel. 
By 1 pm the rain had subsided, and I managed to come on into Columbia Falls. Along the way today, it was dreary, rainy and just generally messy on the roads. I had one guy stop to ask me, "Are you stuck out here?". Nope! I'm good, thanks, giving him a revised version of my purpose. There was also one lady who pulled over, got out of her car (in the rain) and walked up to me. "Please, can I give you a ride somewhere?". I happy tell her I'm on vacation, and am fine. It's not an optimal day out here, but it will be okay. We talked a minute. I wanted to steal her Keen sandals. She reluctantly got back in her car, probably thinking she did not accomplish her intended goal, but I appreciated it very much.....and had told her. Lastly, a couple in their 30's stopped and both got out of the car. Derrick and Amber. They own a ATV rental place in Ellsworth. They open their home/shower to (normally) cyclists who are biking across the US, but they saw me and wanted me to know it's available, if I need it when I go through Ellsworth. "Even if you just want to shower and go". They had already written their address and information before they had gotten out of the car to approach me. So kind. They are avid cyclist, and someday hope to hike "the AT". Me too, my friends!!
I'm often overwhelmed at the kindness and compassion of others. This trip I have it well posted what my intentions are. And it was Day 8 with no police questioning me. I did have a fire truck (after 4 emergency police/ambulance fly by me with lights on), STOP and ask me where the accident was. The fire truck. I thought that was hilarious that they thought I knew. 
My journey in the rain today was not optimal, but I completed it safe and sound. The best part was seeing the Cottonwood Campground sign, and the convenience store/cafe yet down the way. I went and checked in my teepee, and immediately put my cart in the teepee and headed back down to get some food. The cafe had a large menu, and I picked the grilled turkey/cheese on Texas toast. It was real turkey meat.....so good. I picked up a few drinks and headed back to the campground. John will be here in time to gather his things at the store, per his request. 
Back at the campground, I began my cleanup. I emptied my wet cart out, analyzing what need to be done and rearranged back for a sunny day tomorrow. I gathered all my dirty clothes, and headed to the Bath House. Omgoodness! It's like a spa in there. Individual showers, so clean and nice! I washed my hair, cleaned under my nails, and finalized it all with that luscious homemade peppermint/Tea tree shea butter lotion I bought back in Weston. I coated myself! Now, off to wash my clothes. I should have known, first-rate washers and dryers. I completed that task, and feel like a new person. It's back to my teepee to get my sleeping bag ready for the night. It's a gravel floor, but has two cots in it. So cool! I'll lock my food up in my Dry Box, Dad, so the bears won't get it. I promise.
I'm not sure what I've done to deserve all this, but I'm really on vacation. Nobody seems to believe me. 
We are now half way through Maine. I've decided that the definition of Maine = Mountains. It has to. I'm not even sure of our plans for tomorrow, as I want to see how far John wants to go. Probably around 35 miles, then we'll camp again. I called all the motels I saw in the area. All full. Whomp whomp. 
I'll be clean for at least tonight. Well, I say that, but I have to spray so much bug spray on to keep the mosquitos off, it's crazy. Anyhoo, I should sleep well, in my teepee. 
It's almost Hump Day! (Although everyday seems like a Saturday out here.)
Til tomorrow,
Cyndi

No comments: