Monday, August 21, 2017

Day 21 - The Truth about State Parks

Among many things, this journey has taught me how to be a better camper. Last night at the Burlingame State Park, I know my set-up inside and out. I'll sleep on the picnic table, on my yoga mat, in my sleeping bag, inside my bivy sack. This is the best-ever bivy sack I've had. It keeps my sleeping bag - and me - dry.  When you awake in the morning at the campground, generally things are moist. Between the humidity, condensation and morning dew, things are just damp. My bivy sack is my protector.
Campgrounds: I know many of you have camped many times. I am not an experience camper, and have learned what to expect in state parks versus private campgrounds. First, there's a price difference, and at state parks, you can almost guarantee you're going to pay for a shower. No big deal, as it's well worth it It is significantly cheaper to stay at a state park. I noticed the KOA's start now at about $65 a night. They have every amenity that you could possibly imagine, so it is a nice alternative to a motel/hotel. The main difference I've noted is the enforcement of the park rules. The private campgrounds don't mess around. They enforce quiet hours, along with all their personal campground rules, and they have no problem asking anyone to leave, if they deem that necessary. The state parks? Well, the Rangers do come around to check on things, yet enforcement of the rules seem inconsistent and at their discretion. I do enjoy both the public and private campground experience, and find both of them very safe and conducive to the needs of the people. You can only expect so much at a campground. There's typically not any luxury involved, and we all know it when we go camping.That's why we're camping, and I've grown to love it more and more. The bug bites, spiders in the shower, and dogs barking are all part of the ambience. All that fades away as you lay in your sleeping bag and look up at the sky, through the trees to see the thousands of stars. They are there for your pleasure all night long.
As I awaken dry and refreshed, my attitude is refreshed as well. I've made a decision that my future self will thank me for. It's not always easy to recognize it at the time, but there's meaning in all of this. I realize the greatest tragedy would be to have this experience, and miss the meaning. I'm determined to not miss the meaning, and hope to share what it is. Sometimes it's not readily apparent, but becomes clear with time. For now, I can tell you that the courage it takes to say "I need to stop" by John is profound. It sounds easier than it is. Making sound decisions in the mist of a great adventure is precarious. Self doubt and contemplation take over. What is really best seems blurry. I respect John for taking care of himself and knowing his boundaries. I can certainly learn from him in that regard.
Today will be a short day, of about 23 miles to Groton. A motel is in our future, and it will be a nice day to enjoy the road, the food, the weather, AND the State of Connecticut!! The comfort of a motel will be a bonus to all that. I could stand to do a load of laundry, but if not, I'm just going to get sweaty again tomorrow. In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge priority. It's a want rather than a need.
I'm coming into Westerly now, and will go to the grocery store here to buy some fruit, and stash it in my cart. That always makes me smile, too. The sun has risen, the sky is clear, and everyone is busy driving to work. I am so blessed to be where I am, coming up to Connecticut. I've never been here. I feel like I'm in fourth grade again, learning how to spell state names, what their capitals are, and learning about their history. Never a dull moment!  The one thing I haven't mastered, is how to say the state of 'Massachusetts. I mispronounce it every time, and am corrected with, "The last syllable of it is NOT 'shits'". (Sorry to have to use that word in my blog!) I'll keep practicing.
Happy Monday!
Cyndi


No comments: