Sunday, August 6, 2017

Night 5 - Porch Camping

There's not a motel in Waite. And rain is imminent. So we will stop here for the night, and go 30 miles into Calais tomorrow.
Normally, finding a place to throw your sleeping bag down isn't a big problem. You get very savvy and creative. But, when it's going to rain at night, that can be extremely miserable. I knew there would only be a few houses in town, along with the combo General Store/Post Office that locks up tight at 8 pm. David, back in Texas, helped take a look at it on google earlier today for me. He said there was one house in Waite with a very nice covered porch, and I was not opposed to knocking on their door, and asking to sleep there. But no need! Joe, one of the owners of Waite General Store owns the house next door to his store. It's not currently "livable ", as it's recently flooded. They use it for storage and such. But the porch is okay - for the night, esp with rain on the way. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the offer. I wasn't going to say no, as we really needed to have some sort of cover overhead.
At that moment, I knew things for tonight would be okay. As Joe and I started to leave the store to go see the porch, another man in the store, who had been listening, offered a hunting cabin (off course 1/2 mile) if we needed it. Wow! It was hard to tell Joe 'never mind' about the porch, after he's offering it to me - all sweaty, sunscreen on, no shower in 3 days, and I could be crazy. It was SO nice of the other man to offer the hunting house, but I'll stick with the porch at the little flooded house. People are so nice and kind. He shows it to me, and heads back to the store. The floor is full of nail gun staples, trash, dead bugs and dust. I walk back over to the store and Joe is making sandwiches for his sandwich refrigerated case. I offer to help, and tell him I'd like to sweep the floor of the porch, then come back and help make sandwiches too. He's says, "Okay!" And happily hands me the broom and dust pan. At this point, we are back in the kitchen, and I tell him I'll be back to help with the assembly line of sandwiches. I'm a good sandwich wrapper! First, to sweep the porch and open a few windows on the porch. I know I'll need to shut them when it starts raining, but for now, it's necessary to air it out. After I'm done sweeping, I head back over to the store to assist further. He's just finishing the sandwiches, and takes the broom and dust pan from me. I ask if there's anything else I can do, he says no, and to go rest. I like the sounds of that. I buy a bottled unsweetened tea and a sandwich, fill my water bottles up with more well water ("Be sure and let the water run from the facet a minute before you put it in your bottle. I mean, it's been tested and all. It's good". Okay then. I nod, thank him profusely and head back to the porch. John will be here after awhile, and he will be able to get food and drinks from the store before they close. It's really all about the basics. Food, drink, sleep, safety and warmth. Everything else is a bonus! I will say I am looking forward to a motel in Calais tomorrow night. If you want to get the idea of these motels out here, google International Motor Inn in Calais, Maine. These are not places you stop and stay when your driving. In a car, you can zoom by them. And you probably would. But for me, it's a tiny slice of heaven after three nights of camping. The best part about it is meeting the people who run the general stores, cafes and motels. I find it fascinating.
It's time to lay down, close my eyes. And I do.
During the night, it rains. Only straight-down rain, no real wind, no thunder or lightening. It's peaceful, and only one thing could make it better: a small pillow. I've used a jacket the last three nights for a pillow, but I really need to invest in a small one. I'll keep my eyes out for one at a store in Calais tomorrow. Speaking of, I'm looking forward to showering and washing my clothes, even if I do wash them in the shower!
I'm excited that the mountains are easing up. I'm still in them, but the terrain is not nearly as difficult. It's been getting better day by day. And then, I'll get to the Coast. I've heard wonderful things about it, and am anxious to see it.
As I gather my things to get on the road today, I am most grateful for that porch. It kept me dry. Thank you, Joe! I loved your little General Store! It won't be open before we leave, so the next real stop will be Princeton (about 9 miles). I'm looking forward to coffee, brushing my teeth and washing my hands.
The roads are quiet and empty this Sunday morning. I smell the forest smells and listen as the birds chirp and talk. So many different sounds. Moving meditation. This is why I'm out here.
With gratitude,
Cyndi

4 comments:

redtop said...

so so much enjoying following and jogging with you ( mentally ) on your trip.... I also reminisce where Jenny and I used to travel to Lubec , Calais , Bar Harbor and other places ... do enjoy the excitement and challenge of your adventure.....love it ! dad

My Little Life said...

Thanks, Dad! Yours and Mom's support means a lot to me! You guys are out here with me. Love you guys!

Unknown said...

I'm loving reading about your adventures. BTW, we met at the Hachie 50 in May, you were kind enough to try to drag me along at the end. We ended up first and second masters. Keep up the good work and the writing :)

My Little Life said...

Hi Jennifer! Of course I remember you! The Hachie 50 is a favorite race of mine! We did make it to the finish line, and you rocked it! Thanks for following along with me, and I bet I'll see you again at another fun race,
Cyndi