Friday, August 18, 2017

Day 18 - Boston and beyond

As I left the Econo Lodge this morning, I wanted to get a early start to 1) miss traffic, 2) miss the the people who loiter in the area, and 3) run from the rain. Mission accomplished. I studied my route I would take, the night before, as if I was studying for a test. I could not go on Route 1 for multiple reasons (merges with an interstate, and bridge-crossing access was uncertain). Highway 99 would be my magic key to assist in crossing Boston. As I started down 99, it was dawn, and the streets were empty. It was quiet, and I watched my phone for any turn upcoming. Having my phone accessible during the rain is tough, and I really need it today. The turns began after about 5 miles, guiding me to Boston's great trail system. I was on the (cement) trails, as were MANY others morning runners were. The temperature was mild, and no rain yet, as it was predicted for later in the morning. I'm moving along nicely and easily. I continue on a series of trails, some of which ran beside a street my route had picked out for me. Other times the trail ran parallel to their subway/rail system. I could hear the noises of it's clackity clack, taking people to work. All the while, I'm watching the Maps "walking" option guide me through Boston. I stop mid morning for an egg sandwich - on a croissant today, please. I keep moving, and start getting across town. Unfortunately, my Maps app does not have feelings - or awareness - to know which part of town is good or bad. So it did route me through the not-so-great-so-keep-moving part of Boston. And I did keep moving. After being on highway 99, misc streets and trails, I was spit out into Washington St. This is one long street, with miles and miles of sidewalks. It was awesome! And then finally, I started getting to some cute suburbs like Dedham and Wentworth. I began to relax and realize I made it through. I still had a ways to go, with a few more turns here and there, but I was across Boston. I really enjoyed seeing the harbor, the bridges, the city, the old buildings, and all that Boston offers. If I was in a car, I would have seen completely different areas of towns and sites. That's the thing about being on-foot. It's a different way of seeing any city. And I'm able to soak it all in as I'm moving at a slow enough pace to look and enjoy. Thanks for a great day, Boston!! I certainly ate well, and saw places of Boston previously unseen by me. I've been here multiple times (Boston marathon), but that's a different trip in itself.
So now it's time to see about getting back to Route 1. The Gaard Motel is off Route 1, so I'll get there eventually. I travel mostly down 1A - and it wasn't A for Awful today. It was A for Awesome! I had sidewalks along most all of it, too. Safety is not an accident, and being on a sidewalk is always a plus.
After 836 turns today, I arrive in front of the Gaard Motel. It's in the Walpole/Foxboro area. Have you seen it? It doesn't look like what you see when you google it. Oh no, it looks like there's more mattresses and appliances outside it, than inside it. How bad can it be, Cyndi? It's so bad, I'm going to go ahead and nominate it for "Worst Motel" on the trip. And it's only Day 18. But I'm that confident that it will win. Because if I stay somewhere worse, it's because I'm being held against my will. Next time, I will keep going, and find a church porch to sleep on. I even called a motel down the highway and almost left here, and paid again somewhere else. But instead, I calmed myself, and made an agreement with myself that I will get up and leave earlier than usual, and go sit in the McDonalds down the way for coffee, then go from there. I'm not unpacking anything from my cart. I did shower, and it was the nicest part of it all. It did feel good.
These things will happen. It's not going to be roses and sunflowers each time. The guy who runs it is super nice, and probably convinced, in his mind, it's perfectly fine here. Good news? My door does lock. And John will be in later on, hopefully next door to me. It's not a big place.
On a happier note, we will go about 40 miles tomorrow to North Kingston, which is getting into Rhode Island. Already? Where did Massachusetts go?!? We'll go through Providence, which I'm excited about seeing. I've never been to Rhode Island. The plan is to get to the Americas Best Inn motel in North Kingston tomorrow night. I'm going to take it easy tomorrow, and enjoy getting there. And then to give you a little more data, I made a reservation at the Burlingame State Park for camping Sunday night, which is fairly close to the Connecticut line. I always look forward to seeing those states I've never seen before. Each is distinct in their own way.
I'll leave my little room now, to go in search of dinner. There's options around here, and the neighborhood is safe. Did you know I'll go right by the Gillette Stadium in the morning, down Route 1? Some team by the name of the New England Patriots play there, so I hear. I'll look for them.....they should be practicing I bet. Or at least they are airing up their footballs to the appropriate pressure, I'm sure.
Have a great Friday evening,
Cyndi

No comments: