Saturday, August 19, 2017

Day 19 - Lots to see

The road today offered me many different opportunities. I started out with fabulous smells, sweet sounds of the morning birds and quiet. Traffic was unusually lite for a Saturday, but would I really know? It just seemed quiet anyway. I started off relaxed and taking my time. There were sidewalks and plenty of offerings for food/drink. I was enjoying myself. I made my way to Pawtucket, knowing Route 1 would join with I95, therefore detours would be needed. I really liked Pawtucket, and made all the appropriate turns to miss the interstate. I kept moving and started making my way into Providence. I absolutely loved it! All the old buildings, the churches with their church bells ringing, the beautiful Wales and Johnson University campus. Oh my, I'm heading straight downtown to bypass where Route 1 joins the interstate. This is great! I'm going to see all of the city itself, and not the bypass version. This was certainly a treat. Such fascinating buildings, trendy shops and restaurants and bricked pathways. I stopped to eat, and had a fabulous chicken taco meal. Yes, I ordered a quesadilla (not on the menu) and got the soft chicken tacos delivered to my table. They were so fresh and yummy. I took my time in Providence, taking pictures and looking around. Life was good. And then it happened. Somehow I crossed that invisible barrier of greatness into "oh dear where am I"? I saw the bus station, The Salvation Army and the Homeless Shelter all within a block or two. As were MANY homeless people who live in this Homeless Land downtown. I didn't think I fit in, but maybe I did after all. I was pushing a cart. I was sweaty and dirty. My hair was a hot mess. The only thing that was a blaring difference was I didn't have a cigarette in my hand. I received several comments throughout this never ending area of town. Hey Girl! Or, She look good. I know they were talking about my cart. It is nice. I literally kept moving, smiling when I felt it was necessary, head nodding when it seemed appropriate, and trying not to look anyone in the eye, all while trying not to look uncomfortable. But this area just kept going. And just then when I thought I was moving past it, it flared up again. I needed to stop and potty so bad. No! Keep going. But I'm thirsty. Nope. It wasn't until South Elmwood did it seem to simmer down. And my shoulders started to relax. 
Then, it just got more and more upscale again. Time to soak this beauty in, and look around again. My favorite 6-7 miles were at the end of my walk/run portion of my day as I was moving by Greenwich Bay. For miles. Gorgeous is a understatement. Fabulous. Amazing. I loved every minute of those miles! And then, my motel was coming up. I saw a Sack and Save and decided to go in for just a couple of quick grocery items. Yep, you guessed it, peanut butter and bananas. 
I checked in the Americas Best motel. I was extra ready to get to the motel and shower. And that's just what I did. I checked on laundry facilities. Nope. I called the campground I'm going to tomorrow and asked them the same thing.....any laundry facilities? Nope. So, while I showered, I washed my clothes. That works just as well. 
John will be in later tonight. He just hasn't been feeling well. He doesn't give out many details, just "doesn't feel good". I nod, and try to help in whatever way I can. Set the route, make camp/motel reservations. We make a good team with the same goal in mind. Even though we go our own pace during the day, I can rely on us being at the same place at night/mornings. It's important to me to have someone out here, esp as a female, and having a contact for assistance (if needed) is priceless. 
Time to hang up my wet/damp clothes. I called the office to ask for more towels (to wrap and absorb the wetness from my clothes). The owner of the motel said no. "You have two of each type of towel already ". Okay then. I was going to push that issue. But really, I'll figure it out, thanks, were my thoughts instead. 
All's well. The weather looks promising, esp since tomorrow is a camp night. We will be heading to Burlingame State Park in Charlestown. I'm ready, and  see a picnic table bed in my future. 
It was an interesting Saturday, and very entertaining. Hope you had a great one!
See you tomorrow,
Cyndi

No comments: