Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Night 9 - Finding a camp place

What a slow day for me, or so it seemed. The shoulders were generous, people were very friendly, supplies ample, and the weather was perfect. My body was tired, and with 36 miles to go, I took my time, took pictures, ate and drank often and enjoyed the day. I knew I would need to find us a place to sleep tonight, yet the one motel here is full. The closest campground was awhile back, then I decided to pass it, and take a chance to find something in the little town, in which to lay my head. Maybe a church porch? Sheryl, my sister, scoped out a few places, but dropping the "little man" in google can prove to be difficult in some areas. So, we let our faith, and trust in God handle it.
I arrived in Hancock, and head straight to the one convenience store: Hancock Groceries. The whole time, I'm still scoping out places to hide and sleep for the night. I notice a house behind lots of trees, and it looks like a possibility. I'll go get food, then come back. It's not far, I think. I get to the convenience store, and you know me....I got lots of questions. When do you close? When do you open again in the morning? She knew when they closed, but didn't know when they open in the morning. And it's not posted. That's not unusual. The small town stores do what they want. Especially when they are the only one in town. Okay, I head to the back of the store where the menu is posted of hot sandwiches. Hummmmm, what to to pick? There's a different young girl working back here. I'll take the turkey and avocado, please. The young girl behind that counter says, "We don't have avocados right now". No problem, I'll take the panini. "I don't know how to make a panini, they haven't showed me that yet", she confesses. So I change my tactic, and ask her which sandwich she makes the best, and also likes. She tells me she likes the pastrami and swiss cheese on rye bread, and that she makes it very well. I'll take it! And she was absolutely right, it was downright delicious. After I ate it on the front porch, I went back in and bought John a ham sandwich and drink. He'll be in late tonight as he's tired, too.
With a full belly, it's time to back track to that 'house' I saw about a quarter mile back. It had little "Enter" and "Exit" signs into its gravel drive. Interesting. I pushed my cart down the gravel drive to the house. You can't see the front of the house, as all the trees and bushes cover it. There's a sign in the door: Windhaven Pierre Monteux House. Hey, that's the name of the school across the highway! This looks like where students might stay, if school were in session. Like a mini dorm of sorts. Perfect. I'll sleep on the porch, no one can see me, and I'll be gone in the morning quickity quick. I'm settling in, but there's no AC plugs to charge my devices. I don't even know if the electricity is on anyway. The screen door is ajar, like it's flapping open a touch. I go to shut it, and try the door knob. It's open! "Hellllloooooo" I say loudly. No one. It's hot inside, and looks like it's setup for visitors/students, but it's silent. Nothing.  I shut the door. Wait, maybe I'll just plug in my devices (phone, etc) and see if the electricity is on. Sure enough! It is, hooray! Okay, I'll charge them and that's it. Or, I could wash my face and brush my teeth. Just real quick. Why is it unlocked? Why? It's too nice. Did someone just forget to lock it? Is someone coming back tonight? Is it being rented tonight, and the people aren't here yet? So many questions!
I better get back out on the porch. I don't really want to be arrested for trespassing, and it's bad enough that I'm on their porch. I have a back-up plan of going down to the church, if I'm asked to leave by someone. But for now, I'm going to rest here, and not get any of my things out until dusk/dark. That's my plan. I texted John and told him where it is. That's if I'm still here when he arrives later. Only time will tell. Ahhh, the excitement of trying to find a place to sleep.
Good news? I booked a motel in Bucksport tomorrow night, which is about 30 miles from here. I hope it's off Route 1 and not 1A. My "Maps" on my phone thinks it's the same. Oh, I personally know it's not, by my wrong turn earlier today.
I'll close for tonight, and see what shakes out here. It will be a surprise for us all. You know my faith and trust in God is what gets me through all my days and nights. I get chills just seeing and experiencing His blessings in my life on this trip. It's hard to believe, and I'm living it, and I still find it hard to believe. Just amazing. Simply amazing. It shows just how trust and faith provides in our lives. Security, love, protection and plentiful gifts. Gifts that come in all forms. And I thank Him.
Until tomorrow,
Cyndi

No comments: