Thursday, August 10, 2017

Goldilocks

I awoke to my alarm going off, and John says, "Stay down, I think the SWAT Team has surrounded the house". Insert Dream Squence: So, last night, I had a minute to read and relax on the porch I picked as our sleeping spot. It's a well concealed porch, and now the sun is setting. I pull out my sleeping bag, and snuggle in. Yes, I did charge my phone for awhile, inside the unlocked house, and all is well. I lay my head down and fall asleep. I awaken to a text from John saying he is getting close. I will look for his flashing blinking lights and steer him in the right direction without being noticed. So now he's at the house, too and beginning to settle in on the porch. He asked where the food/drink was that I got him. I told him, "In the refrigerator." and he just laughs. No really, it is. Then I confess to seeing if the door was unlocked, and it was. I confess to brushing my teeth and charging my devices. His eyes light up, even in the dark. I explain it looks like this house is utilized for the music students at the school across the highway, and everyone is gone from their summer session. (Thank you, Sheryl). He hesitantly goes in, uses his light to get to his food, and peeks his head out, " I'm going to just eat in here". I knew he wasn't coming back here tonight. I hear him say, "Well, aren't  you coming in? I don't think anybody's checking in here after 1030 tonight." He's probably right. Should I? This is like a dorm, and there's water, electricity, shower, beds. Oh my. He looks around and says he's going to shower. I then confessed that I did that too, after it was dusk, and I was pretty sure no one was going to come here. Yes, I get my sleeping bag and bring it inside. I get in it and go to sleep. After I lock the door.
Morning comes, and my alarm goes off. John makes his SWAT Team comment from the futon he slept on! I'm sill not believing all this. So much shame for sleeping in this dorm/house. I must go run off my guilt. I pack up my cart and head down the road, as does John. He comments on the unique camping places I pick. Your welcome. Welcome to the World of Cyndi. We will meet in Bucksport at the Spring Fountain Motel. I get moving, as Ellsworth is not too far, and I'll pick up some food and drinks there. I'm looking forward to getting to the motel to shower, do some yoga and look around the area. And be somewhere for the night that I'm supposed to be.
As Day 10 is upon me, my body acclimated to this process and rhythm of the road. Yet, it is tired. Some days runnning comes easier than others. It's a full time job of route/mileage setting, moving down the road, figuring out strategy for supplies, where to stay, and dealing with terrain and weather issues. Oh, and sleeping in foreign places.
I'll take a recovery day today, with very little running. The ups and downs aren't allowing much of it anyway. This part of Maine is spectacular, with many people vacationing here. I await the Atlantic Highway, the views, some flatter land, and good food.
Confessions are good for the soul,
Cyndi

2 comments:

redtop said...

are you looking forward to going thru Boston???/ ha

Unknown said...

“You’re off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So get on your way!”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!