Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Here we go, one more time


Ahhh, yes. 2009 and 2014 were the last years I participated in the Last Annual Vol State Race across the great state of Tennessee. Tennessee is the Volunteer State, after all. Therefore, Vol State makes sense for the race name. So what is this race? It's a 314 mile, 10 day maximum road race on a set route whereby you run however many miles a day on this said route, until you reach the end of the 314 miles. There's motels, convenience stores, cemeteries and cafes sprinkled about along the way. - all places to eat and sleep in. Or better yet, just sleep off the side of the road somewhere, depending if you are able to reach a small town that might have the usual conveniences of life. In 2009, I finished in 7 days (approx 40-ish miles a day) and in 2014, I finished the race in 5 days (approx 58-ish miles a day). This year, 2022 is a year of the unknown in regards to Vol State and 1) will I finish and 2) if so, how long will it take. Whatever it brings, I'll take it. I have no set expectations this year for Vol State. I just want to enjoy each and every mile. I want to smell the smells, see nature, eat, drink lots of unsweet tea and be merry - all while moving my body 314 miles. And once I reach the finish at Castle Rock, after trekking up Sand Mountain into Georgia, I will say a prayer and thank the good Lord who sees me through these adventures every time.

I first attempted this race in 2008, I think it was. I went about 180 miles, stopping at Culeoka, TN and dropped out due to the pain from shin splints. I was silly, naive and new to these types of things and feelings and did not have the mental strength to overcome the issues I would encounter on a multiday race. It's a DNF (did not finish) that I will never forget. What I would learn is that DNF's in the ultra-running world are just as valuable as finishes. We as ultra runners give our statistics as such: Number of DNF's, Number of Ultra finishes, the Number of other misc race finishes we think are relevant for some reason. DNF's are an important tool in ultra running. They teach us things. They teach us everything. What to do different, better, or not at all next time. No runner goes out to get acquire a DNF, but we actually sometimes sign up for a race kind of knowing we may DNF. That's okay. We 'try' at races sometimes, knowing we have to learn some things first. Like failing forward. And that's what my first Vol State race was. Failing forward. 

I went back to the Vol State race in 2009 to claim 1st place women's finish and it was pretty sweet. I was actually just happy to finish, and placing in the race was icing on the cake. And I love icing. Also consider that they were very few females ultra racing at that time. The irony in this was that my finish time was not that astounding, and not my fastest, yet that can show us just how unpredictable races can be and how races can be won depending on who shows up to make it to the finish. Now that was in 2009 and it's now 2022. I'm older and wiser. I'm a farmer and (blood) cancer patient now. Matter of fact, my new treatments start after I get back from the race which I'll talk more about later. I'm a grandmother now, and many other new roles in life that absorb my time. Yet running is a big part of my life. It's what I like. And when I can't run anymore, I'll find something else I like. My body will likely not allow me to do this forever and ever. I get it. But while I can, I will. I'll not be as fast or agile or any of those types of things as I age, because I'm human. But I will still be out there - until I can't. 

The most common question people often ask me is: Why? Why run like that? I used to not know the answer. And then I recently figured out that answer to all the "Why's" that are asked of me. Because I like it. I like it. Similar to why you like watching tv, hiking, fishing, golfing, doing nothing, or whatever hobby is your thing. You like it. 


Getting there

Let's get to the nitty gritty, shall we? David and I are in the truck, loaded with way too much stuff that we won't need that we think we might need. We are driving towards Union City, TN which is close to the start of the race near Hickman, TN. Technically, we start at Dorena Landing, MO and take the ferry across the river to Tennessee whereby we run diagonally across the state then veer down towards northeast Georgia. If you are a Tennessee-ian, then you may recognize these towns that hopeful runners will make their way through: Hickman, back to Union City, to Martin, then Dresden. Gleason, McKenzie, Huntingdon, Clarksburg, then Parkers Cross-Roads. Lexington, Chesterfield, Darden, then Parsons. Perryville, Linden, Hohenwald, Hampshire to Columbia. From Columbia you head to Culeoka (where I famously DNF'd my first attempt) to Mooreville, Lewisburg and then Farmington. Wheel, Bedford, and then to the lovely Shelbyville. Wartrace (home of the Strolling Jim 40 mile ultra) to Manchester then and only then can you feel yourself finishing. Hillsboro, Pelham, Monteagle (more mountains, like I've not been up enough already) to Tracy City. Jasper to Kimbell and then through New Hope before you finally reach Castle Rock, high atop Sand Mountain in the beautiful state of Georgia. Spread out amongst these grueling miles with the ball of fire staring down upon you are luxuries such as Dairy Queen, Sonic, and convenience stores to find food, and cemeteries and ball fields of which to sleep in. Kind and helpful people who live in these areas have slowly begun to recognize the yearly running of this race and sometimes offer water and cheerful words of encouragement. The motels are okay, if you make it to one. You know the ones. The motels you fly by in your car thinking you would never stay there and don't know who would. Yep, people like me are there. That's if I'm not sleeping in the ball field, cemetary or in the bed of the truck with David. Those details will unfold with time. I have no idea of what's to come. All I know is I have this opportunity to participate with other like-minded folks who all like the same thing, with the same sense of adventure. I mean, why not. 


Minding the farm

So who's exactly taking care of Dora and Hope, the mini horses, Belle, Lulu and Willow the sheepies, Maggie the Piggie, Paul the Turkey, all the chickens, all the barn cats and the livestock guard dogs? That would be our Caretaker Extraordinaire, Rosie. She's been there for us through thick and then. She manned the farm while we spent several months at MD Anderson last year. She's been there for all the times we've needed to be away from the farm whether it's for leisure or necessity. Rosie's our girl. The irony in this is that the last time Rosie spent a substantial amount of time caretaking for all the animals, it was 30 degrees and freezing during the winter months and snowvid. Now, it's the opposite end of the spectrum at 102 degrees and keeping waters filled is imperative for the animals survival. 

Not to worry. Rosie has it covered. And we also have our good friends, Angela and Paul coming by the farm to deliver treats and pets to the animals. Angela is a horse person, so Dora and Hope will have some one-on-one attention and as they do, ask for treats.


Excuse the janky video, it did not get copied over well in the truck. But you get the idea. 


As you could see, we have the Tack Room all set up and labeled - with written and laminated instructions. Watering, feeding and treat-giving is all outlined. We even made some changes around the farm (for while we are gone for this trip) that will remain in effect upon our return. Such as placing the dog food bowls up off the ground, consolidating water buckets in areas with water hoses easily accessible. Basically our usual philosophy of managing alot of work by making it as easy as possible. We really applied this on this particular vacation, in hopes that it will make Rosie's caretaking job simpler and our life simpler when we return. Sometimes it takes being away from the farm for a period of time to think about new and better ways of feeding and watering the animals. A clean environment, plenty of fresh water, healthy food and lots of love is what keeps our animals healthy and happy. Oh, and the livestock guard dogs to protect them. They are the reason all the animals are safe.


Maggie The Piggie and Paul The Turkey
will share space while we are away.
The outside of the pen is also a holding place
for dog feeders. The livestock guard dogs
are still adjusting to this new system.

Penny and Dutch enjoying their new feeders up 
off the ground. They are more adaptable than
Levi and Whisper who are used to being served
dinner, not called to dinner. 

Hope (left) and Dora (right) have 
temporary living quarters for caretaker
management purposes. Plus the fans in the 
barn keep the flies off them. 

The chickens are loving the waters all together.
It's like being at a water park.




David apparently found the biggest fan around.
It is hot in the barn. This helps ALOT. 
The LGD's enjoy front row seating. 



What you might not know

What I've failed to mention in all this is how well I'm supported in my ultra running by my fabulous Crew Chief, David. Better know as my husband. He's tolerated this extreme and peculiar habit of mine for years. And I mean years. He's crewed me from Baton Rouge to New Orleans while I ran 126 miles on the levy. He's crewed me on several Keys100 (100 mile) races from Key Largo to Key West. AND he's often found crewing the people around me in the race, for grinsies, because he loves helping others. All while he's crewing me. I married the best Crew there is, and didn't even realize it at the time. He was there for me when I said I was going to run across the U.S. - as he stayed home and worked while I set out for epic adventures. Twice. 

And now, here we go again. Prior in Vol State races, he would bike behind me, crewing me from a bike. Yes, it's true. 


Yeah, he biked like this across Tennessee 
with all our necessities during the Vol
State race prior. This time though,
he's driving it.

Vol State finish ends with a Thank You kissπŸ’›



So who are these people?



Some of the participants of 2009.
This race has grown and grown over the years.
It'll never be this small again.
Also, women in ultra running were a rarity then.

Ultrarunners, misfits, like-minded, quirky. Call us what you may, as I totally get it. When I'm around my people at these races, I can see this. And we all just keep going back for more. We push ourselves to our own person edge, fine-tune our mental strength and enjoy every minute of it. Maybe not every minute, as sometimes it gets brutal. Yet, it's beautiful. Brutiful, let's call it. There are times when things get bleak and dark. I've been taught by my fellow ultrarunners that when that happens, think of it like being stuck in a completely dark room, where you cannot see your hand in front of your face. Then look around that dark room for the light switch. Keep moving around the darkness, feeling your way, holding onto hope, that you will find the light. And you will. When it gets dark, always keep looking for the light, as it will be back. The light always comes back. That's when it's time to pull out your grit and grace to move through the hard times of a hard race. Because everything is possible. Just keep moving - even when things get dark.

David, unfortunately, has seen me in this 'dark room' on more than one occasion in races. He's there to help but only in the ways he's allowed to in a race. Water, drink, food and encouragement. And once again, he'll be around for this $hit-show-to-be called the Vol State race. Thank you, honey bun, for all you do. And is this what you wanted to do for your first weeks of retirement? Doubtful. But yet you are here for it all. Look at you, even bringing Buddy along for all this funny business. 


What a good boy ❤️


And yes, we brought Sugar, too. 


Such a good car rider πŸ’Ÿ And you know she loves
riding in the cart I often push her in when we
run together. 
I'm going to surprise her and let her be in the race
with me - in her cart! Don't tell her. We are doing
this race together. 


Technically, David is crewing all 3 of us. Wonder who'll need the most crewing? I guess we'll all find out. I'll try and give daily updates as we move through this unpredictable and delightful vacation. 


About time

I'm thrilled, actually more than thrilled, that David retired a few weeks ago.

And man was it yummy πŸ˜‹

This was my favorite thing at the party!

The most wonderful party, and I'd like to thank Kim,
Brooke and Zena and everyone who made
this night so magical!! It was absolutely perfect.

It can be hard to retire. It sounds easy. But to let go of a paycheck and good money is tough. I'm oh-so-proud of him for making that courageous decision. As you know, our cancer journeys are excellent reminders that humans do not live forever. I used to think we would, like everyone else. But now I know better. So David gets to enjoy his free time in life now (after we get back from this so called "vacation"). And I can't wait to watch him do all the things HE wants to do. That's one thing I really love about marriage, is supporting each other's dreams and desires. I want the world for him, and he wants the world for me. And we are each not just dreaming, but realizing our dreams. 

Speaking of a dream, this little one is a dream come true for us.

Just love these two. 
Retirement looks good on you.


Countdown

My good ole ultra running friend, John Price keeps a Vol State countdown going. I just took a look at it:



As we descend upon Union City, Tennessee, I have peace and appreciation for this experience. That I get to participate along with my fellow people in an adventure that will once again provide learning, memories and reconnection with folks I've not seen in a bit. I'll keep moving, put one foot in front of the other. Because we all can always go further than you think. It's all in your head. 

Race starts Thursday morning. I'll see you back here later on Thursday to catch up again and we'll just see what happens. 

It's always a surprise,

Cyndi

I would like to give a biggggg Thank You to David who was the guest blogger for June & July!!! I really really appreciated you stepping in and giving us your side of life on the farm. Turns out there’s so much that goes on out here, that even if we both blogged it, we might not be able to keep up with all the happenings. But we try! Thanks for letting us see life through your lens 😍




5 comments:

Brooke S. said...

Wooooo Hooooo!!! I cannot wait to go on this Vol State Race with the 2 of you. It is going to be so fun with Sugar and Buddy tagging along.

Looks like the farm is all organized and ready to go! I am sure the animals will be well taken care of while you are gone.

Fav Quote: "When it gets dark, always keep looking for the light, as it will be back. The light always comes back. That's when it's time to pull out your grit and grace to move through the hard times of a hard race. Because everything is possible. Just keep moving - even when things get dark." This can be applied to all aspects of life and a good reminder to just keep going and things will turn around.

Kim said...

I'm excited to tag along on this adventure with you....from the comfort of my couch reading your blog of course! :) Shout out for the well-labeled tubs and laminated instructions. It makes me want to laminate something, isn't that funny?

I'm glad you have Rosie and also Angela and Paul to help out so you don't have to worry about your animals while you're gone. What a blessing, especially in this crazy heat.

I would be in awe of all your running accomplishments anyway, but even more so knowing that you are able to accomplish these feats now in spite of cancer. You're amazing!

I'm so glad you and David enjoyed the retirement party. It was a fun time and we were glad to get to help put it together.

Be safe out there in TN, and know that we're here rooting you on!!

My Little Life said...

To Kim and Brooke, my amazing C3 Crew. Thanks for crewing me from Texas!! We are all in this together ❤️ Thanks for always being there!

Kim said...

❤️. We are definitely there with you in spirit! Stay safe out there and enjoy every minute. Thanks for letting us be a part!!

Kawika said...

Well hang onto your hats little girls and boys, the ride is about to begin!! The Vol State 2022 edition will be as exciting and unexpected as ever! Thanks for coming along for this ride!!

Remember to please keep your arms and legs inside the moving vehicle at all times
(or they will be forcefully be loped off and cast aside without fanfare)!! Enjoy your ride!