Saturday, July 16, 2022

Day 3 Vol State Race

What I find happening in a race like this is that the unexpected is actually expected. I found myself sleeping in a cemetery, on the back of our truck, under the moonlight with the sounds of rhythmic locusts, tree frogs chirping and a symphony of nature sounds all around. I've slept on my yoga mat outside on picnic tables, behind huge rocks and behind guard rails all while 'wild' camping on running adventures. But this time, I find myself lying down on back of my truck, and as I awake, I realize I don't feel so well. I'm not sure of the time, but I think it's around 11 pm, and since I just fell asleep at 8 pm, I've only slept for about 3 hours at this point. I find my shoes and hop down off the truck with sore and stiff legs to realize that I need to potty. And I'm feeling a bit nauseous. Odd. Did I eat something bad? I walk away from the truck in the dark and soon find out the the condition of diarrhea has struck. Damn. I don't have time for this. And it's not stopping. 

I circle the small area I've deemed 'my bathroom' away from any gravestones, mind you. Not wanting to go far as I might be going again. And certainly not next to the truck as David would not be a fan of that. What to do. After a couple of incidents, I feel like I can go back to the truck and figure out what to do. David wakes up and we speak of this new finding. I tell him that I'm going to just get up and get walking out on the course, and try to walk it off. I know I have to eat. I have no choice if I want to walk or run, that I have to eat. So I grab a banana and peanut butter in the darkness with the moon showing me the way. I sit upon the bed of the truck again and force myself to eat. Amazingly, I kept it down. 

Everyone is out of sorts, you see. After all, we are all sleeping outside on the bed of the truck including Sugar and Buddy who think we have lost our minds. I'm sure they did not sleep well and are tired, but I'm not going to be able to lay back down and risk more issues. I'd rather be moving down the side of the road, quite frankly, if the diarrhea is going to strike again. So I load Sugar in the cart, and tell Buddy he cannot come with us (I wish he could, but he just can't do the miles that Sugar can). 


Time to hit the road. I think it's after midnight?

And off we go, down the steep hill from the cemetery in the darkness with my light barely shining because I had no way to charge anything last night. I head back down to the highway, and within 100 feet, there's a female race participant sleeping on the side of the road and I accidently scare her. We chat a minute, and I keep moving. Then I come across a male walker, who's using walking sticks as he's had double hip replacements. We all know each other by now. We don't always remember each others names, but we recognize each other. And then I realize the highway is riddled with race people. In the dark of night, people are moving and I am far from alone. 

I'm actually starting to feel a bit better, and at this point in the race, most people are walking. I move on down the road on my own, Sugar and I. I left David in the cemetery and am not sure if he'll sleep more or be passing by me on the road before long. I have drinks and food in the cart, so I'll be good for awhile. Now, it's about 1 am and without the ball of fire trying to destroy us, we all move like little ants marching along, quietly doing our work.


Enjoying the ride, or is she? Hard to tell.

It's all a blur, mile after mile in the dark with my barely lit light trying to shine and show me the road ahead. Here's the thing, the charging of flashing blinking red lights and the white light to shine on the road, and keeping your phone and apple watch all charged is a chore out here. I'm able to attach lights to the cart which makes it nice. If they are charged. It'll just be a bit darker tonight, yet, the moonlight is almost as bright as the sun, so it's showing me the way without the harmful heat. 


This is what it's all about 🌜

It's peaceful, as very few cars are on the highway. I simply move forward through it and make my way from Clarksburg to Parker Crossroads. There, I find a convenience store actually open and grab a cup of coffee. Still unsure if my digestive system is going to continue to be haywire, I push through, just daring it to cause me more problems. I'm going to do this race whether my colon decides it's okay or not. Let's just say that as the night went on, my colon settled down a bit and gave up the fight to slow me down. I don't have time for that silly business. 

From Parker Crossing and with a belly of coffee, I then head towards Lexington. Maybe by the time I reach Lexington, others food places will be open where I can get food and either tea or more coffee. David is now in the area, and has been moving up and down the highway in the truck watching all the action. He would drive ahead 4, 5 or 6 miles and sleep in the truck while I move down the road to see him again. It's a game we play. While I walk/run, he drives ahead and rests, and repeat. He's really great about making sure I have food and drink, too and letting me know what's up ahead, where there will be a turn onto another highway, etc etc. He's the crew of all crews. And he's done this enough, poor guy, to know just what to do to help me be successful in a race. 

A happy note to add around this time on the course is that David found a small cafe open, who had the most amazing fresh brewed tea! He sets it on the side of the road, and as I approach, I see the yumminess of it, along with another water bottle (that I continue to devour on a regular basis) and Buddy to support me. Thanks David! This is exactly what I wanted and needed. A good glass of unsweet tea in a real cup with a straw. I almost feel like a real person. 


The encouragement never stops 💙

I move through Lexington, turning onto a different highway, and start making my way towards Parsons. Good news! I'll stop in Parsons and although there's only 1 motel there (Parsons Inn) we will try to get a room so we can both shower and rest. It'll have been 30 miles by the time I get to Parsons, and will be time to take a break. We also need to check for ticks, because David has already found one on him, from all the pine trees and pine needles in the area, esp in that cemetery. Knowing we have a possibility of a room at a motel today, keeps me going. Even though, according to David, it's a small step up from the Budget Inn. I'm still thrilled about it. 

Once the sun starts to break the horizon, I enjoy watching the sunrise, feeling the cool breeze that comes with a sunrise. It's interesting. That seems to be the coolest time of the morning. Even cooler than all night on the road. And I enjoy the light of the sun, but now know it's a matter of time before it's going to get hot again. I need to get to Parsons.

David calls the Parsons Inn at some point and actually gets us a room. They had told him the Inn was full, but he used some sort of negotiating skill to secure us a room. Perfect! I can't wait to get there and shower. And rest and eat some real food. It's a small town, but they are bound to have something there. 


I'll take it, thanks!

Let's just say that the sun shows no mercy, and after many climbs up hill after hill, I make it into Parsons. David actually walked backwards from the motel and walked the last mile in with me. That was so very nice and sweet. I was pooped and out of gas.

Fast forward to the motel room, a shower, and David finding a mexican food restaurant whereby to get a quesadilla of course, my life is now complete. 


This is what I'm talking about


We decide that what's best is to sleep the rest of the day in the motel room, and get up and run all night. It's just a necessity with the hot temps if you even want to be able to get some miles in. 

So after sleeping from 1 pm - 6 pm in the coolness and darkness, I requested a second round of another quesadilla. I'm at mile 106, and need to get many more miles in tonight, in the dark of night.


charging complete and ready for the night

I've got everything (lights, phone, etc) all charged up and ready to go for tonight. My belly is once again full. And Sugar and I will set sail on the road to Perryville, Linden and then hopefully to Hohenwald. We'll see what the night brings. I know there will be other race folks out there suffering. I know the traffic will be decent in the dark of night. I know that I will need extra ibuprofen to see me through. We are all about to be handed a Hall Pass to your "Personal Edge". Challenge accepted, because the mountains are coming.

Happy Saturday!

Cyndi


5 comments:

Brooke said...

I hadn’t thought about doing the race at night but what a great idea. Not only do you avoid the heat & harsh sun, but the roads are also less crowded. I’m so glad that your colon didn’t hold you down too long….sounds like it actually helped you find a different rhythm.

Still cheering….Go Team Graves Go!!!!!

Kawika said...

Each day is its own. It can be the best day or the hardest day, or more likely, just one in between. It is always what you make it rather than what “happens” to you. Last night was one of those! Cyndi always seems excited and lights up when she talks about “wild camping”, sleeping under a picnic table in the rain, behind a highway guard rail, curled up in a sleeping bag on the Resevation territory with no lights allowed since your’re not supposed to be camping any time.
So last night I got a taste of “wild camping” and it was an adventure for sure.
We actually found a beautiful cemetery up on a hill under a shade tree. It was super hot but the shade felt better and this was as far as Cyndi was running this day so, off we went!
There really wasn’t any breeze and the sun was still pretty hot but we settled down on top of the back deck of the truck. Now Sugar and Buddy were with us, so I was immediately concerned that they would either run or fall off the back of the truck to their demise! They peered over the edge of the abyss many times but always managed to stay on top!
It finally cooled off several hours later to allow for some sleep, but with the dogs moving around, the one “visitor” to the cemetery who was either visiting the grave of a loved one, but chose not to ge to out of the car, or was scoping the spot for themselves (my theory), it was an unsettled rest. We ended up with about three hours sleep and a strong conviction not to “wild camp” outside the car unless we have no other options.
Let me add that Cyndi had a remarkable 37 miles despite the lack of rest! The crew spent much of the next rest period trying to get her rested and refreshed for 35 miles tonight!

Pros: Spent time with my besttie in a romantic spot with the pups. Free! Had some relaxing time playing with the doggies and reading about people who lived long ago.

Cons: I prefer luxuries like running water, a commode and a shower. I’m a softie, and proud of it

Brooke said...

I am glad you got a little taste of “wild camping” and you sure made those pros sound amazing, but I’m not sure I could get over the cons. Lol! I love that you are doing this race together. It’s even more fun for Buddy & Sugar to get to come along for the ride. I can’t wait to continue this adventure with you!

Kim said...

Oh my goodness....I love the sound of the adventures but not sure I'd be cut out for wild camping. I'm glad that running at night time is working out ok, though that has its own challenges and worries I know. Rooting for strong legs, safe passage, and good rest for everyone when you can grab it!

Anonymous said...

We are cheering you on. Push through!!!!