Thursday, July 14, 2022

Day 1 Vol State Race

What a great day! It was certainly a hot one, with a high of 94 (96 forecasted for tomorrow). Let's start at the beginning though.


Funny thing is

The thing about ultra races is there always seems to be a catch. RougeOrleans race starts on a Friday night at 8 pm and since it's a 126.2 mile race (100 miler and then run a marathon is their gimmick) it's pretty much a guarantee that you will be up for 2 nights straight running to hit the cutoffs. You get the idea now, so the tricky thing about the 314 mile Vol State race is that on Day 1, everyone has to start later in the morning, therefore missing all the 'cool' hours to get some miles in.


Pre race freshness


So it all starts with all runners meeting at Dorena Landing in Kentucky and taking the ferry over to Missouri. Yes, the ferry. 


Crazy Town, yet everyone petted the dogs

Crew Chief and his bestie, Buddy

Getting on the ferry!

Then, once in Missouri, and every one is loaded OFF the ferry, the race director lights his cigarette and this deems the start of the race. The race director is Laz Lake but his real name is Gary Cantrell. He's a well-known fixture in the ultra world and has done his time with racing so now he puts on the craziest races you can think of. That's for another blog.

Where was I. Oh yeah, on the ferry. David, Buddy, Sugar and I all loaded up with everyone else on the ferry to head over to Missouri for the official start. 


Across the river, loaded off, and Laz lights
his cigarette and the race starts.
Back on the ferry we go.

Sugar in her captains seat for the race start

I had made a decision to push my cart (Bob stroller) across Tennessee for this race because it carries so much of the things I need. I know David is there to crew me, but having all my things with me is equally as wonderful. So I have the best of both worlds with supplies in my cart and having David in the vicinity to bring lunch, food, and more drinks, etc.


Another runner (notice the sun protection) as
we go from Missouri to Kentucky.....
and then to Tennessee!

It was approved by Laz that Sugar could ride along in my cart, and that she did today. Sugar trains with me for most all my races. She's an ultra running 5 lb maltipoo who runs and rides. She absolutely loves it, matter of fact, she lives for it. She enjoys all the areas of the cart to ride:


Sugar's spot to hide from the sun. 
She loves this basket under the seat!

Taking a rest from all the looking around.

Some parts of the course have huge shoulders.
Other parts don't, but I enjoy them while I got them.

The 'one foot' wide shoulder with rumble
strip included. 
Sugar riding in her upper level spot. 
She has many spots in the cart.

I jumped ahead. Hold on. So, after we get back on the ferry in Missouri, and cross the river to Kentucky (again) the ferry docks and we all unload and head out for our big adventure. There's alot of nervous energy and everyone is doing their own thing (walking, running). We have a long way to go, my friends. This first day is similar to the first 5 miles in a marathon. It's your warmup and 'place' and speed does not matter at this point. 

The interesting part about Day 1 besides riding the ferry, is the time we start. By the time we've gotten there, everyone is loaded on the ferry, and we go back and forth, it's now around 8 am and the weather is warming up nicely along with all the runners warming up. Day 1 is a sweat fest. 

Let's add another interesting element to this race, and that is that every town you go through, there's tricky directions in each town that you have to pay close attention to, that takes you by the court house for that town. Laz is a history buff and wants everyone to appreciate ALL the court houses along the way. Every one of them. And so it's not a straight shot of a race. It's twisty turny and you have to stay on course or there's disqualification issues. So you're constantly looking at the map and directions trying to figure out the turns on streets that often do not have a street sign. And looking at your phone in the bright sun makes it that much harder. So we all abide by the route closely, and backtrack if necessary to make sure your placed your foot on every inch of that course. None of the runners have come all this way to be disqualified. I've meet runners from Scotland, Canada, Utah, Michigan, Florida and more. People come from all over to run this unique multi day race.

By mid afternoon, Sugar is ready to get in the air conditioning with David and Buddy. David has gotten me lunch, fruit and drinks several times during the day. 


David is wonderful about bringing me all
the things I need. He also brought the 
Race Director and his assistant
Frosty's from Wendys out on the
course. He's kind of a nice guy. 


Finally, as I'm approaching my stopping point for the day (Dresden at 40 miles in) David heads to get a room at the only motel in this small town, The Budget Inn. I'm grateful when I get there that I'll get a shower and a bed to sleep in. But it's thoroughly disgusting. The towels are all stained up, the bedspreads are not something you would even think about sitting on. But it's doable for the night. Never ever in a lifetime would I stop here to stay unless I'm on foot. All runners whether crewed or screwed (not crewed) are not allowed to get in a car nor even be driven anywhere. So where you end up on foot is where you end up. And tonight, I'll take this horrible place because I want a shower SO bad. The layers of sunscreen and layers of salt on my skin being washed off was worth it. 

Forty miles completed, and David had a quesadilla for me waiting at the motel. I share it with Sugar, and now we will rest. My plan is to get up early in the morning and get going in the dark to get some miles in without the ball of fire torturing me. 

I met alot of wonderful, cool people today. Some who were throwing up, some who had leg cramps, some who walked most all day in the heat, and others who seemingly moved down the road without issue. There's one of everybody out here, and this is only Day 1. Just so you know, it only gets worse from here. Hang on for the ride. 

Wait, let’s see what David’s been doing all day. No rest for him being the Crew Chief for 2 dogs and me!


Constant packing and unpacking. 
This was the nice hotel we stayed 
in the night before the race
in Union City, TN. 

Making sure I'm well supported 💗

Wow, Buddy looks huge in this pic.
He's a fan of hanging that big head of
his out the window.

Sugar is more cautious. She hangs with dad 
inside the car in the afternoon heat.

Alrighty oh, I gotta get to bed. I have so much to say about this day, but this summary will suffice for now.

We'll see what tomorrow brings,

Cyndi

5 comments:

Brooke S. said...

Yeah!! GO TEAM GRAVES!!!! We are cheering you all on over here! I love that we get to follow along via the blog and the pictures were so fun to look at! I cant wait to see how day 2 goes!

Kim said...

I absolutely LOVE all the pictures!! It really makes us feel like we're getting to experience this right along with you to see the pictures and have you describe the adventure in so much detail. I wish you were getting a little bit cooler weather for the experience. I couldn't handle the running but everything else seems so fun. What a great crew chief you have! So sweet with the dry erase board messages and making sure you have what you need. Including quesadillas at the end of a long day.

I sure hope that was the worst hotel that you'll have to experience on this race. That sounds absolutely awful.

Stay well!

Melissa G said...

I loved reading this! Jenn shared this blog with me. I’m so proud of you!

Kawika said...

Day 1 was my favorite Day 1 ever, because I actually got to ride the ferry with Cyndi! I’d never been to the Missouri or Kentucky portion of the race, or seen an actual start since in all previous years, I was always waiting back in Union City with my bike and cart.
Crew perspective on Day 1: All nerves and fun. Getting to see the nervous excitement, not just from Cyndi but from all of “her people” getting together with the hope and anticipation a new beginning brings. It is a very unique set of people that do this type of thing. All come from different walks and times in their life, but sharing the same sense of adventure. It reminds me of the t-shirt and bumper-sticker “Not all who wander are lost”
I will share my thoughts from the crews perspective in comments this year.

Brooke said...

Yes!!! I love that you are gonna share your perspective as well. I’m cheering for the whole Graves team!