Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Day 5 Vol State Race



Plenty of courthouses to see along the way. 
The route takes you by every courthouse in every town.



Columbia, Tennessee. Ahhh  I remember this fondly in 2008. It is by far my most unfavorite city on this tour of Tennessee. I think it’s dirty, and the part of town the route goes through is unfortunate, and let’s just say that the motel we stayed at rivals with the Budget Inn back in Dresden. It was just nasty. But this time, I decided to shower, lay down to sleep three hours and I was ready to leave. No sense in sticking around for a place like that. So somehow, I’m back moving on the highway once again. Sometimes I don’t know if I’m coming or going. 

I’m pretty sure I’m going though.  There’s just some things happening out here in the world that are amazing. These small towns have these motels that charge you way too much money for a unkept place to stay. I suppose there’s clientele for it, I mean look at me, I’m in there too. I just don’t understand how somebody can charge you $89 for a motel room whereby the commode may or may not flush. The shower does not drain, to the point of it fills the bathtub up halfway during your shower. There’s mold everywhere. And there's so much dirt in the corner of the bathroom that a mushroom is growing out of it. The room is not really all that clean overall, it’s almost like they just made the beds and nothing else. And I am always grateful for a clean bed. But Buddy loved it because he found two other dogs balls under the motel bed, as this motel does allow pets. So someones dog's before us had left their dog balls and Buddy was extremely pleased. David was mortified that Buddy was playing with with something that was not his own toys. Interestingly enough, the room had two refrigerators, which I’m not even sure why, which is a little concerning for some reason. And these are the kind of motels also that don’t typically have shampoo or conditioner so you just take what you can get with the soap that’s provided. They did though have a continental breakfast that was equally as disgusting as the shower. And I know I sound like I’m complaining, but I wonder if my expectations of paying for a room would be that I would get something that is close to decent. But no. These folks have the corner on the market out here and the clientele that will pay to stay there. So we made our donation to the cause of the Richland Inn in Columbia, Tennessee and left. Since I was leaving during the day this time, there was lots of traffic on this Monday morning. Lots of big trucks and cars zooming by and of course it’s going to rain today. The downpour started after the dark clouds rolled in and I knew it was coming. I put my rain suit on and just moved through it. Wet shoes and feet at the start of the day is not optimal, but it’s part of the deal. 

OK enough of that. I’ve moved on down the road changing to Highway 373 and heading into a town called Culleoka. On the way to Culleoka, there’s a closed-down old gas station and it has a bench in the front still. The Vol State race has taken the opportunity to go label this bench “the Bench of Despair”. This is a breaking point for many people. You’re more than halfway, your blisters are screaming and your legs are crying. Many of us sit on the bench of despair and take a photo. It’s a good time to reflect on the race thus far and if you feel like you can go the same distance that you have already gone, with many more mountains to come. For some reason, this is a popular place to quit the race. So far more than 20 people have quit the race for various reasons, not all at the Bench of Despair. But as the race goes on, the terrain does get tougher, so mentally and physically, you have to be prepared for that. 

Part of my disdain for Columbia, Tennessee is that the first time I attempted the Vol State race (2008?) and we made it to that same Richland Inn to stay the night, the next morning I came out of the motel to start back on the route and made a wrong turn. I went the wrong way a number of miles before I realized my mistake and had to turn around and run back and retrace my steps to get back on the route. During that particular race on my first attempt of Vol State,  David was actually biking behind me during the race and supporting me on the bike. We were distraught about the extra miles, but got back on track and kept going. After we got back on the route, we made it eventually past the Bench of Despair and to Culleoka. When you arrive to the small town of Culleoka, there’s a gas station that has an adjoining post office and a small café in the gas station. The first time I attempted Vol State and had gone the wrong way on the route in Columbia, I made it to Culleoka cafe and called it quits. I’ll never forget it. My first attempt at this race I was obviously not mentally prepared for it. It’s one thing to push yourself physically in this environment, but it’s a whole nother thing to be mentally strong to be able to see yourself through it. My first attempt showed me I needed to work on my mental strength. I did come back to complete this race a couple more times after that. And I did work on my mental strength, and it’s been one of the best things I’ve ever done in my life. I have found that mental strength trumps everything. And here I am again, digging into my mental strength bag of tricks to see myself through once again. 



 


Love the 2 racers in this photo each 
doing their own thing to relax.

David, my Crew Chief and his side kicks,
Sugar and Buddy join me here. 

Even though it's hard to tell, Sugar is looking rough. She's dirty,
worn down, and wondering what our life come to.


I was so happy to get to Lewisburg, but knew I
had to keep going to Shelbyville to get a 
full 45 miles in for the day.

Some roads on the route are so peaceful 

These makeshift aid stations are great 
For the Screwed racers. They are 
scattered out in peoples yards
willy nilly along the route.

Sugar in her spot 💟


As much as I would love to add more to this blog, I’m on the road with sketchy cell service and heading up into some of these beautiful Tennessee mountains. So I’m going to have to close for now, but just the randomness of this blog is indicative of exactly how Day 5 was. It seems like there is so much more to the day that I can’t even explain, but this will suffice for now. 226 miles down! 

Here’s to Day 6 and one day closer to the finish, 

Cyndi

4 comments:

Brooke S. said...

I love love the addition of the vlogs! I am wondering how you are able to talk though....I get winded walking to the mailbox. You are carrying on a conversation like you are not running/walking your way across TN. I know you are off track, but glad you got some much needed rest last night. I bet that helps to carry you to the end.

I am glad that you are "crewed" and not "screwed". Not to mention you have the very best crew around!

I totally spit out my water though when you said "They like have a Walmart" LMBO!!!!!

Kim said...

The vlogs are so fun!! The trucks whizzing past you was making me a little nervous, that would take some getting used to. Really neat to get to see you in the videos and hear you talk about what you're experiencing. It is so awesome that you're sharing this with all of us. "The Bench of Despair". Yikes! And funny too though! I think a sense of humor probably helps in addition to the mental and physical toughness you have to have to get through those 314 (327?) miles.

I am so glad you have David there to crew you. I can't imagine being one of the "screwed" with no help. I suppose I understand the rule but it also seems wrong that you can't offer even a teensy bit of help to them.

I'm amazed that Sugar just rides along. The training you did with her paid off, and that is the cutest thing ever seeing her in her spot on your cart.

Can't wait to hear how today went. Be safe out there!

Cyndi Graves said...

Day 5 had a tight grip on me, but I’ve now moved past that, and thank goodness! Brooke and Kim, I feel like I’m taking you both on this adventure with me. Thanks for coming along! Day 6 was much better than Day 5 👏👏

Kawika said...

Crew Report: Lots of miscellaneous information to discuss here!
Firstly, Columbia is our least favorite town of a lot of great towns in Tennessee. It started back in ‘08 when we saw the Columbia City Limits sign and thought “Thank the good Lord we are finally back in a town and we’re gonna have a hotel room tonight with a shower!”. Now this was mostly because Cyndi had run a lot that day and the thought of an air conditioned room was mind altering! However, as with most things on this race, theee is a catch! The lesson learned back then through pain and misery, is that small towns in Tennessee tend to incorporate as much area as they can. This means the city limits for a super small town can be miles and miles from the actual center of town, and in Columbia, it is exasperated by the fact that the hotel was on the far side of the city from where we came in. This means that after a super long day of successful run/walking you still have miles to go before you get to your hotel! Sometimes as much as 7!!
So coming into Columbia this time, Cyndi and I have no illusions, there is still a lot of walking just to stop for the day. Hello Columbia, please be kind to us this trip!
Cyndi is doing really well on this trip across TN. I’ve noticed that she has a different demeanor than she has on past trips. She seems more determined (if that is possible) and I am even MORE determined that whatever she wants to do is what we shall do. Now that does not mean I’m going to crawl over into the corner, I’m still going to make suggestions, but very casual and low key, if I’m capable of doing so.
My next miscellaneous note is that Cyndi starts having “scarcity” issues during the race. What starts as a well thought out list of needs, evolves into a hording of things that would otherwise be ridiculous when you’re not on a race across Tennessee in the last of July! Things like plastic eating utensils. There are never enough, never the right ones and never where you need them. We have spread many a peanut butter and jelly samdwich with a spoon or a coffee stirrer, stirred our coffee with the end of a toothbrush or even a fingernail file (after it was rinsed) and I often find myself keeping a bag of leftover, or confiscated, utensils from everywhere. I’ve even washed and rinsed “disposable” silverware multiple times for repeated use.
Things like old styrofoam cups with their precious and well fitting lids, straws of extended lengths, and old coffe cups take on the value of pearls and silver! I always carry a plastic bag (save plastic bags for many uses) of utinsels for any occasion! Gallon jugs are of particular value as they can be reused for tea in remote locations that do not stock such items. They can also be bartered with the locals for wampum or corn! “Save them!”Cyndi cries if I even act like I’m walking in the direction of the trash can!
This is getting long, so I will conclude with the reason I was “horrified” with Buddy chewing on a random ball left by who knows who, left who knows when, for who knows why!
This is the hotel where a mushroom grew, lived its life, and died alone in a random corner of the lavatory area in the room. Who knows what stench or disease could be festering on that ball for years! I would not know even what to ask the Vet. Would it be an anti-viral or anti-biotic best suited to give Buddy his best chance of survival? We will see and time will tell the true story of the strangers ball found under the air conditioner!
Got to go get some sleep while we can!