Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Day 6 Vol State Race

Big sigh. Day 5 was a bit of a beating and Day 6 was my reprieve. I needed this. I ran/walked between 25-30 miles today and it was do-able, and probably one of the lower milage days I'll have. Things are not fast-moving anymore in regards to my legs, and most folks are fast-walking or just plain walking at this point. Whatever it takes to get to the finish line at Castle Rock, GA is what people do, and that's perfect. 


David drew this at one of the downtown areas
near the courthouse as he was waiting for
me to go by. The town square had a courtyard
with caulk and encourages art on the concrete.
I love these little towns.


I wanted to start today's blog with a tribute to David, my crew. For 6 days now, he's had everything I might need, did need, wanted, and things that I didn't even know I needed. He makes sure I have 3 good meals a day, and he knows exactly what I like - and the snacks between the meals are always delicious. Side note: I don't take supplements for races like this (ex: salt, electrolytes, etc) as I just eat food, and many times, salty foods on purpose - or sugary foods (Hostess cupcakes from a convenience store) for quick energy. I eat depending on how I feel. 

While I'm out the door and hitting the road, David is either loading or unloading the truck depending on if I'm coming in town or leaving town.




He has his system down of getting things back and forth from the truck, what needs to go in the motel room, and where something particular would be. The other day when I showered in my running clothes to wash them, he's the one to hang up "the laundry" on-the-go, and usually in the truck window.


Hanging the laundry out to dry.

He always has the charger station set up to charge all the things we need charging (lights, phones, watch, etc). And I appreciate all his crewing because he's the one who makes the magic happen all while I'm trying to get down the road. I'm so fortunate that he takes time to support me in this way. I know I'm a lucky girl, and when he's ready for me to crew him in a race, I'm his girl! 


I wasn't so sure about this text when I got it,
but realized he probably just wanted to have the 
food relatively hot when I got there.


Our conversations via text are quite often in order keep up with each other. We deal with the stress of a race like this, much of the time, with humor. It gets us through. 

He's great at drawing me a map of an upcoming turn(s). 


I love the little maps he draws, then takes a photo 
of them and text them to me, so I don't miss
a turn and makes sure I get by the courthouse.


He makes sure I know which motel he's at once he's finally decided I'm okay out on the road and goes back to await my arrival. 


This was by far the nicest place we will stay 
on this trip.


He spends his majority of his time in the truck during the day driving back and forth on the route to update me of road conditions or milage. 

His life right now

Love the little blue book. It's a Vol State 
book written by John Price with lots of 
good information re: route/directions.


I get full-service all the time. How do you repay someone for assisting like this? I'm not sure, but one thing about our marriage is that we support each other. We lift each other up. He's my rock.


Here on Day 6, the route was a small 2 lane highway with no shoulder. It had trees overgrown over it to provide shade and protection from the rain. 


This is my favorite portion of the course,
except for the no-shoulder part.


It rained off and on most all day today. The irony in this is that I slept in (I was so tired) at the Richland Inn and then left just in time to get a couple of miles down the route before it begin the first downpour of the day. I would not ever change my wet shoes or socks during the day, there was no need. When David showed up along a portion of the route that had the trees overgrown together with Arby's, we sat on the tailgate of the truck that he pulled over in a vacant driveway, and allowed the rain to gently sprinkle over us, as the trees caught much of it for us. 


Always there for me 💜


It was such beautiful countryside today moving down the road from Columbia to Wartrace, then onto Manchester. Just gorgeous. The smaller highway was nice too. I did have the bigger highways getting out of Columbia and then again coming into Manchester, but in between was where the magic of this race is found. Simply breathtaking. 


Shade and rain today. Not a bad deal.

At one point along my miles today, a truck pulled over and out jumped a man. He comes over to me and places his hand out to shake mine, saying, "Hello! I'm Terry, what's your name?" I tell him my name and he can tell I'm a little confused about what is happening. He then tells me he is a Road Angel and wanted to give me something. He goes to the backseat of his truck, where he has 2 coolers whereby he reaches in one cooler and pulls out a small plastic cup of peaches. The kind that are sealed and sold in 4 packs at the store. He tells me he is known as The Peach Guy because he goes up and down the Vol State route handing out super-cold peach cups. I thank him, and he jumps back in his truck to go find the next race participant. He had said he does this most every year (even though I've not seen him before) and I know the Screwed racers appreciate such a treat, as I know I did. Esp out in the middle of nowhere. Turns out, after he got in his truck, another downpour of rain hit. I was glad he was off to find someone else who needed an angel.


Terry the Road Angel and The Peach Guy

It was so cold and refreshing.
Yes, I ate them.

The day was good, and the fact that David got us a room at the Holiday Inn Express in Manchester which is on the route was my icing on the cake today. He had dinner ready in the hotel room, and we shared our day's events together in a very nice hotel. I never want to leave here. But I know I have to in the morning. Early for that matter, as it's another higher milage day tomorrow. I'm at mile 252 (around there) today, and know that within a couple of days, I'll be getting to The Rock, as they call it. Castle Rock.

Happy Tuesday (I had to think about what day it actually is),

Cyndi

Excuse the janky video of the video but this blog site makes me do that. 





4 comments:

Brooke S. said...

Day 6 sounds like a dream compared to Day 5. I am so glad that you got over that hump and you were able to stay in a decent hotel last night. Love the "Peach Guy" and that he gets joy in providing peach cups to the runners. Are the "Screwed" racers allowed to take a peach cup from him since he is not a racer or part of a crew?

Poor Sugar may need a spa day when you get back. She is not used to living on the road. She has a princess bed back home. LOL!

I can't wait to see what Day 7 brings! GO TEAM GRAVES!!!!!!

Kim said...

Such a beautiful part of the course! Wish it had a shoulder for you but hopefully you don't have to contend with too many cars. I'm glad you got to stay at a nice hotel this time around. Love the drawing that David drew....that is so sweet.

Those videos of your crew chief at work are great. He's a keeper, that one! ;) I love that you are getting to experience this together from different perspectives. David is good at maps! Looks like that can get awfully confusing so I'm glad he's able to help you navigate.

The Road Angel with peaches is super nice, though at first that would have my guard up as I imagine it did you too. What a cool thing to do, and I'm sure much appreciated.

Hoping today is amazing for you. You've got this!!!

Kawika said...

Maps and turns are very important! Right up there with eating and running!!! The Road Crew is responsible for all course errors taken by the runner, period, the end!
Runners tend to get delirious at times and when tired, over heated, dehydrated, and fatigued, they are likely to do just about anything!! Cyndi wears down like everyone else, and I’ve seen her collapse more than once on these races. As Crew Chief, I have to take responsibility for these occurances. Cyndi is driven to the extreme by her own will! Her mental strength mocks, teases, lies and shape-shifts her body into believing that she never needs to drink or stop running; EVER!
But when she falls to the hot cement in a pile of sweaty, sticky, stinky, stuff, having missing falling into the soft cool grass by mere inches, it’s my responsibility. She has been over-confident and I have allowed her to exceed her physical abilities. Now Cyndi is far from this condition on this trip and she has learned from that event many years ago, as have I. This year there was only once where she pushed herself further than maybe she should have. I rarely step in and advise her these days because I don’t want to be the one who tells, or even suggests, that she cannot do something. I usually just comment that there are other strategies that might be successful as well. There may be a point where the effort expended exceeds the expected gains and that a rest (even for a couple of hours) might be the best option. Cyndi patiently listens to the suggestion and then answers me in one of two ways: 1) she says “yes that might work, but I think I’ll just…” she does this when she plans on telling me her intentions, or 2) she ignores my comment/suggestions and goes on about her way because she knows I will not like her plan AT ALL.
It’s a dance we do. It’s the Vol State Shuffel. We change our steps slightly but it is the dance we do every time.

Kawika said...

Night 6 was a great evening. Cyndi was going strong and we were able to get her one of her most favorite meals: salmon and asparagus, with a plain baked potato! She likes the salmon at O’Charley's restaurant and that happened to be right next door to the hotel “ca’ching”. We had a quiet dinner talking as we made plans for the next day. Our plan was to get past Tracy City so she would not have 30+ miles to do on the last day. And we both knew it was going to be the last day (regardless of the miles needed). In past years, when the horse smells the barn, they will not be sidetracked or deferred from the most direct path to said barn! One year, Cyndi got up at 2:30am in Tracy City to go over 25 miles and up Sand Mountain to finish the race. That was the year she collapsed on the edge of the street (meaning the right hand lane) in a heap, half way up the mountain. I drug her aside and she collected herself enough to finish but I learned a lot about how she will probably react. So we both decided to just run as far as she felt like after she passed Tracy City this year. Even though it was extended miles for day 6, every mile was one less for day 7!
We knew there would be a “wild camp” ahead of us but the mileage was such that had no choice. Cyndi strategized this very well this year and bit off manageable (although some uncomfortable) chunks of road to put herself in good position for the final push.
So we enjoyed the quiet evening while we could, and tucked ourselves in tight with a shower and full bellies!!