Sunday, June 3, 2018

FriDay FarmDay

As I sit at my desk and listen to the wind howl, I think about what the animals must think. It's a early, warm morning, 75 degrees and 25+ mph winds. It's different here, as the pasture out front gives the wind ample opportunity to pick up speed so that when it gets to the house and barn, it's strong. Real strong.
My first thought is that it feels good, the wind. But does the excessive wind scare them? Does it make things sound different and unusual? Because it does to me. I know it will be blowing the chicken's feathers around later in the morning, as they move about free-ranging. I will hear it making whipping noises as it glides through the barn when I check the Barn Cam, while I am away from the house. During these warm months, all door and windows are open in the barn, which then acts as a tunnel for this heavy air gallivanting along it's journey. Things that usually do not move, get blown around in this fresh gale. The donkeys will stand behind the barn - or the house - to not be in the direct gust. I'm pretty sure that whether it's cold or hot, the donkeys do not care for the wind.
The sheep don't seem to mind at all, nor the Great Pyrenees. As they lay peacefully, I see them through the window in the moonlight. It's this quiet of the morning, listening to the wind, that I think a lot. I think about how I'll leave for work, and everybody here moves about their day. Do they think about time? Or is everything instinctual for them? I often think about them randomly during the day. I wonder if Junie B is feeling better, she seems to be sneezing lately. Is Belle too hot? The flies are bad this year and bothering the donkeys. I need to get something for them. These random thoughts flutter into my mind during the day (usually at work), then I resolve them in my head temporarily, and move forward.
It's during these thought processes that I begin to wonder if any of our animals are self aware? If I were to have any of the farm animals look in a mirror, would they recognize themselves? The mirror recognition test is used as a measure of self awareness. So it seems, the pig is able to do so. But other farm animals, while smart, are not self aware. Chickens and sheep rank high in intelligence, despite what people might think. A study I read even suggest they may be smarter than a dog. Chickens can learn to do puzzles and play games. Chickens can show object permanence, meaning they have the ability to understand an object exists, even when they can't see it. Baby chicks develop this around Day 2 while an infant takes about 6 months to master this. And sheep, oh my, many people think sheep are not smart. I can tell you first hand, that I was surprised at how smart and crafty they are. They can recognize all kinds of faces, and know all the faces in their flock. They are aware when one is missing. They can recognize who cares for them, who guards them, and can remember for years if you have made them mad. I've read that both donkeys and sheep can hold a grudge when they have been treated poorly. They remember those things well.
The sheer enthusiasm my farm animals have for life always amazes me. The chickens are happy and living their little lives free ranging and laying eggs. The sheep are busy grazing, chewing their cud under a tree, or baaaaa-ing to have a treat of grain. The donkeys see me drive up, and walked to the fence to say hello. They just want to interact directly with me. The cats and dogs all love to be loved and acknowledged. It's always my pleasure to reach to them, scratch and tell them how much I love them. I know they like hearing it. We all need to be told how much we are loved.
Speaking of petting and loving on the animals, we will have the pleasure of having The Graves Farm Story Time again this coming Friday. The Celina Public Library will host their story time in our barn, and there will be children everywhere. Speaking of self awareness, having multitudes of care-free and spontaneous children around farm animals is always exciting. When everyone leaves each time, I'm always happy when no one is hurt. Between the pure abandonment of children and the unpredictability of farm animals, it's a recipe for the unknown to occur. It's during this time though, that I am able to read stories and allow them to connect with the animals. Stories like No Sleep For The Sheep and Duck On A Bike are meant to help instill a lifelong love for animals - and reading. To illustrate that animals are like us in many ways. Desiring love, recognition, care and human touch. The children have the opportunity to pet the animals, and the animals love every minute of it. It's as much a treat for the animals as it is for the children.
On Friday, if the wind howls through the barn that morning, it will be a bonus. It's an opportunity for the children to feel what the animals feel, to see how they live, to pet them and love them. It's a privilege to be able to share this. And as always, I'll update you on how it goes.
Keep your fingers crossed that all children leave with all their fingers. That's my goal.

Friday Farmday is just around the corner,
Cyndi







2 comments:

redtop said...

you are beyond thoughtful, you and David , to hold the library readying for children on your farm...……………...so kind it is !

I love your blog about your animals...………...very interesting perspective you bring out ….

thanks for sharing …..I read and reread it to to absorb all I can ...thank YOU

love ya dad

redtop said...

and I recall how your love of animals began ...or as I first observed you loving and collecting your room pets...……...dove, salamanders , gerbils and dog...…. early on you had had deep love and caring attitude of your flock of pets......and now you continue to enjoy and share your love for all...… thank you Cyndi .