Monday, May 28, 2018

Summer days

What happens when it gets to be 90-something degrees around here? I put on sunscreen, a hat, long sleeves and pants even though it's hot. That's because I have skin cancer things (nothing serious, thank goodness) but I have to keep the sun off of me as much as possible. I'm training for a triathlon so that means staying covered up while running and biking. It takes effort, but I have to do that for myself.
Then there's the animals. How do they hold up in the hot weather? Some better than others. The sheep are my biggest concern right now. I have three Dorper sheep, Belle, Eve and Sam The Ram. They are classified as self-shedding sheep, which means I do not shear them, as their wool will fall/rub off on it's own. Kind of like most animals that shed naturally when warm weather is coming. Eve and Sam's wool is coming off in droves. It looks like material just hanging from their sides, and looks a little silly, actually. It's a good thing, as they need to have that large layer of wool off them. But Belle, poor thing, she's still got her full coat on with no signs of shedding. She shedded last year, so it seems like it would have started already. But no, she's got this enormous coat of wool on in the 90 degree weather. I did what any good Sheep-Mama would do, and bought me some sheep shears. No, I don't know how to shear a sheep, but I did YouTube it: 20 easy steps to shearing. Geeeezzz. Can you shear a self-shedding sheep? (I think that's a good tongue twister.) I googled that, too, and it appears you can. So, off I went to the barn with my ginormous sheep shears that I ordered from Sears online. They could actually cut my leg off in one fail swoop. I plugged in my extension cord, tied Belle close to the gate so she couldn't get away, and turned these monster clippers on. It scared the pee-doodle out of her, and she just about choked herself trying to get off the leash/collar I had her tied up with. She would rather die by asphyxiation, then with me accidentally cutting a artery. That's fair.
I turned the clippers off and freed her from the self harm of choking. That's not going to work, I thought. Now, I know you can tilt sheep onto their bottoms, and get them off-kilter so that you have control of them. But I can't do that - and clip her - all at the same time. Professionals can. Not me though. Moving on, she's just going to have to shed - or I need to find a professional sheep shearer. I called around. No luck.
My two Great Pyrenees, Levi and Whisper have 32 layers of fur (that's a made-up number). But that's just how that breed is. It's two-fold: 1) it protects them from the cold weather and living outdoors with whoever they protect, and 2) protects them from coyotes getting their teeth into their skin, esp around their neck. Last year, Levi's coat was SO thick, I did shave him with my regular dog shears. I know he was secretly grateful - and much cooler. This year will be no different, and I did begin this process yesterday. I got about 25% (if that) of him shaved, and will keep attempting to do so, as he's not a fan. He looks real crazy-looking until I get the job finished.
The donkeys also still have their winter coats and I've been brushing and brushing them. The ground where I brush them looks like a pack of animals have been slaughtered there. There's donkey hair all over the place. As I brush them, they stand patiently, enjoying the process. Papa doesn't stand as long as Mama does for this brushing event, but Mama would stand there all day, letting me brush her, if I would. Their fur will be as smooth as butter after their winter coat is shed. It just takes a little time. I also put "pour-on" fly-repellent down their backs, which will absorb into their skin and assist in keeping the flies off them. It's a necessity - as flies are damaging to their legs, creating wounds that are horrible. Flies and wasps, a lovely part of the farm experience. With the heat, comes bugs and insects.
My chickens are not fond of the severe heat, but they seem to tolerate it pretty well. During the heat of the day, they honker-down in a grassy, shady area trying to stay cool. They pant, with their little beaks open, trying to cool themselves. I make sure to have lots of water available - for all the animals - at all times. The chickens do molt, and that helps them get rid of their unneeded and old feathers. They also prune themselves, trying to keep control of the insects that want to live under their feathers. I put out plenty of diatomaceous dirt for the chickens - and sheep - to dust bathe in. This particular dirt assists with killing the lice, and repelling the insects that plague them.
The barn does get quite warm, but I have a fan in there, and all the doors and windows open. Everyone seems to be acclimating to the heat nicely, thus far. The animals just continue to live their lives no matter what weather comes along. They figure it out, no complaining. Sometimes, I think about what it would be like if I lived in the barn, too. If I didn't have to go to work, it would be okay, and I would adjust, too. I would be stinky, sweaty, and dirty. But if I had no where to go, and no one to judge me for my appearance, then it would be perfect. I could hose off, jump in the pond like the dogs do, or just not care. I have this tendency for wanting to live life off the grid. I can understand those people who live in the woods, or wander the country as they wish. I understand the people who live in the country, and go to Walmart looking dirty - and happy. They are just that, perfectly content in their own skin. Just as they are. That could be me.
Freedom = Happiness. That's my formula. And on this Memorial Day, I thank those who serve - and served - so that we can all be free. And happy. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

What a wonderful life.

I'm so grateful,
Cyndi





1 comment:

redtop said...

you make my day as your draft your next blog …. wow, how much time you must spend attending to your livestock.... you are so attentive and concerned..... what a faithful and dedicated farmer you are ……….so compassionate...… I love it ….

I read and re- read your blog with deep interest..... what a interesting and super gal you are …. David is blessed being your partner.... he does have super taste ….

thank you for sharing your experiences and your life with me and others …

hope this devastating summer heat is not damaging to your farm life ….

love ya gal...

we are hot this way ..no rain.... 100 and counting.... lots of inside activities we enjoy ...LIFE IS SOOOO GOOD...….