Thursday, May 17, 2018

3 years of blogging

It was back in 2015 that I decided to give blogging a try, in an effort to track my progress as I made my way on foot across the US. I would write each day about my adventures, and wanted to keep family and friends in the loop on what it was like to live life on the side of the road. From that experience, living with complete freedom every day, based only on what I decide to do, and where I was going, has been my life's biggest take-away thus far. Had I not experienced it, I would not know what it feels like. It has been the most impactive concept I've encountered in my life, and although I wish for it almost daily, it's not a sustainable lifestyle. It's a misunderstood phenomenon, whereby people who desire to roam the land on foot "appear" to be drifters. There's no doubt I was pity'd by many people on my travels, yet the ability to move down the road and see the U.S. on foot is the best way I have found to do so. Unconventional, yes. A form of nonconformity, if you will. Which seems to a be underlying theme in my little life. Which by the way, I renamed my blog (not my address to it, just the title of it).
Never during that time, would I have guessed I would end up on a hobby farm in Gunter, Texas. I may have thought it as a dream back then, but never thinking I would actually figure out how to do it. I am a big advocate of  'dream, then realize your dreams". Ironically, it wasn't like I sat down and planned it, although that would be the optimal way of making a drastic change - or realizing a dream - in life. I digress. I look back at my life now, and realize I always (quietly) wondered what it was like to live in the country, have farm animals and not have neighbors too close by. And just to think it all started on a warm day, early in 2016. I'm still not sure how I found it, but I'm pretty sure I was glancing at zillow online, and came across it. For Sale, it screamed at me. Come take a look, it said. I told David about it, and with the warm sun on us, we made our way to Gunter to see what this was all about. It happened so fast, as I remember it. The realtor cancelled as we drove there, and said the owner would 'show us around'. When we arrived, a gravel road led us to a old house with a barn and separate garage. On the first visit there, I fell in love with that gravel road that led to where I would eventually live. The acreage spoke to me, as did the nature sounds and abundant land. No HOA, no neighbors, just a simple life with the ability to do as you wished, without anyone watching. Freedom in how you live. The owner was kind and sincere, and we were kindred spirits in many ways (that is a book in itself). Her need to make a lifestyle change was sincere. God sent us there, for her family.....and ours. I could feel the opportunity, the flexibility and the free reign of life there.
That's what ultimately sealed it for me. The freedom of country life. If I was not to live a life of roaming the country on foot/bike, this was freedom along with my family, that I had been looking for, without even knowing what I was looking for. I could be with my family and feel what my heart desires - all at the same time. It was adventure, peace, and family all wrapped up in what would be known as The Graves Farm. The only place I have felt truly "at home". I've lived many houses, but now, I was home.
It's been a couple of years now, and we continue to adore this lifestyle. Then, another change came up on the horizon for me. After 14 years of working as a Operating Room RN, I began to realize it was time to make a change that would take me into the next 10 - 15 years, as I think about retirement. OR nursing is physical - and exciting. It's what I crave, and a lot of who I am. Yet, something happened though as I began to approach a year in which I would turn 55. I decided I needed to quit risking my back (injury) - and body - for a career that could be kinder to my physical self. Nursing has many great options, and I would pick a Medical Office as my new work destination. I will still be able to use my critical thinking skills, nursing abilities and OR knowledge in an office position with the same ENT physician group that I currently work with. If I'm going to risk possible injury to myself, I'll do it on my own terms with my chosen passions and hobbies. But at work, I'm going to have self-compassion, and give my body a break. Freedom to choose, with the power and privilege to make a choice that serves me (as well as the patients and doctors I will be working with) has been a blessing. I am so very grateful for my health, and desire to be more mindful and diligent in respecting myself physically. I need this body to last awhile longer, as I have more living to do. Change is not always easy. Tears will be shed. But starting this Monday, I've officially retired from the OR. I'll be driving (or biking in) to my new work establishment of a medical office. It's a start of a new chapter that will bring about a large learning curve, new people and different opportunities. It's frightening, exciting and calming all at the same time. Tomorrow I say 'see you later' to many coworkers that I've worked with for years and years. Seems I've cried a lot lately and tomorrow will be no different. I used to tell Lauren, "It's okay to cry", and tomorrow I will walk that talk.
So as I move forward in this little life of mine, I look forward to all the new things that are to come. Everything, every day is good. Even when it's bad, it's good. I will be brave when I am afraid next week. I have my Farm Sweet Farm waiting for me each and every day, along with Farmer Graves and Little LoLo close by. That's just what I need.
Grateful for all the freedom in my life,
Cyndi     
 


















2 comments:

redtop said...

CONGRATS on your decision to make the change you want …. you will do well, you always have and will …

gettum gal …… the best to you …….


IT IS TOUGH TO MAKE SUCH A MAJOR CHANGE WITHOUT BIG EMotions and strong feelings..... but you can do d and a tear here and there is mighty good release of tension/ stress.....

and keep having fun on your farm ………. so much to do and your personality fits perfect out there in gunter remote country ......….. and glad David loves it also ….

ps so glad you give such strong attention to taking care of your health....sooooooo important as we put on those years and years.... good maintenance works wonders...………

love ya

redtop said...

leaving good , long time friends is tough and hurtful …. but making those new ones can bring new vigor and interest to you …. have fun! enjoy your working days ………….