Sunday, January 22, 2023

It has been a minute


It has certainly been some minutes since I've met you back here, and would like to say Happy New Year! (again)

And I'd like to say a big happy birthday to David who turned 65 on the 19th! Look at you go! Some folks would not have predicted it.....but you continue to prove those folks wrong. Vintage 1958. And as a wonderful gift, the tax office is going to provide you a '65 and over' tax exemption and lock in a tax rate for you. Happy Birthday to yoooouuuuu! We happen to love senior discounts and concessions. I'll take all we can get. 


I can't imagine life without this



Oh, by the way

I got a text the other day that surprised me yet didn't surprise me. You see, there's a neighbor whose not a neighbor that lives down the way whose land is on the west side of ours. We share a fence line, he with cattle, goats and sheep. I can't technically see the mobile home in which he lives, but it's across the acreage over there. If I've ever mentioned him before, I've likely included in the conversation that he's 129 years old - and still caring for his animals and his land (and his fences). He's always dressed in his blue jeans, boots, button-down shirt tucked in, with a belt on. He's always put together whether he's mending a fence or walking his land looking for a lost sheep or lamb. I've mentioned prior that we've had his sheep in our pasture, even his ram whose apparently gotten our own sheep pregnant. We've taken his lost lambs back to him when needed, and assisted his goats when they've gotten their head/horns stuck in the fence, unable to get free and are crying and crying. 

We consider his flock and herd as animals that we listen for, care for when needed, and also observe daily as they are usually just on the other side of our fence line. Our eyes are drawn to them, knowing they are there and enjoy watching his new lambs frolic and play, watch his young calves play with our little dogs through the fence, and enjoy his animals although they are not our own. 

The text I received was from Janet, whose the wife of Fred, whose the son of Mr Galvan whose 129 years old. Fred is the actual land owner of the 20 acres that Mr Galvan was living on and taking care of, as Fred and his family live in Austin. Janet was just letting me know that Mr Galvan had his 92nd birthday and that he was going to now live with one of his sons (who he has 7 of) in Whitewright as it was getting too hard for him to manage his land and animals. And.....that they had already sold all his animals....in one day. 

I was unsure how to feel about all of this. I was happy his family was able to assist Mr Galvan in his time of need. But I'm going to miss him - and his animals. He was all of 120 lbs maybe. He was frail yet strong. A obvious hard worker, whose work was getting to be too much for him. David and I had just seen him recently mending an area of his fence and had stopped to ask him if we could help. 

Now, he's been moved. Janet texts that they are coming to see him and would love to stop by and meet us. I've texted Janet a number of times, for example when I've needed to let them know we were having our adjoining fence rebuilt. The cows were pushing over the old fence that had been there for years. Janet and I have stayed in touch for other various reasons and now this. And she and Fred did indeed come by our house on Sunday afternoon while they were in town visiting Fred's father, Mr Galvan. The first thing they told us after we greeted one another was, "My dad passed away yesterday". 

I again, was so sad. I was sad to lose him from our lives, but now he's really gone gone. Mr Galvan was part of our lives, part of the world in which we live. No, he was not 129 years old, and instead he was 92. And now he's gone. And all his animals are no longer along our fence line. As we all sat on the front porch and reminisced about Mr Galvan, they told us about all the people he's helped in his long life, and how loved he was and is. We talked about whether they will sell their land or lease it. They said they will likely lease it and offered us first dibs at leasing their 20 acres for 158.00/year. I corrected them and said, "a month you mean?". No, a year, they say. With their ag exemption, their taxes are $158.00 a year and so that's what they will lease it for. To pay for the taxes.

Let me get this straight. I can use your 20 acres for farm animals for $158.00 a year. Yep, they say. Well this is certainly a twist. Is this an opportunity to raise mini cows? longhorns? bees? I'm going to need to think about this a minute. I'll get back to you. 

So as we pay tribute to this kind man we knew as Galvan, a lifelong rancher, a dedicated working man til he was 92 years old, I'm thankful for the opportunity to have known him. Fred told us that his dad had told the family that 'without his animals, he would die'. And he did. Rest in Peace, my sweet friend. My eyes still search for you walking in the pasture, and I look for you along the fence line on my way home, wondering what you are fixing today and if you'll allow me to help you. I'll miss you. It's just not the same without you. 


Never enough

I assume you are familiar with the egg shortage these days. Who knew. How does this happen? While I'm sure I could google that and read about it further, I'll just say that if ever I thought that selling eggs from a road side stand was a good idea, it's officially a good idea now. 


This embodies the community of life with 100 chickens 💛
So much love, safety and community with these girlz.


Once upon a time I had 2 chickens. Then 8, then 12, then my chicken math told me I was at the crazy-number close to 30 chickens. Then I hovered at 60 chickens, then up to 80, and have now surpassed 100 chickens. Yep. I blew the door off the crazy-number of 30. I thought that was when people were officially cray cray. I now know that no matter how many chickens you have, it's always better with more. 

A few months ago, David and I bought chicks at a local feed store in Sherman. David always encourages me to get more than I originally say I want. He knows me. 

Then, this past weekend, I drove out to Ivanhoe to pick up 24 laying hens (18 months old girlz) from a operation out there where a couple, very similar to us, started doing chicken things and now have 300 chickens. They have hoop coops separating out and housing their meat chickens, their layers for eggs, their roosters, and their reproduction area where they raise more chickens. I was in awe. There is a chicken farmer inside me screaming "me! me! me! I want to do that!" 

But I'm a registered operating room nurse for now not a chicken farmer with hoop coops. Maybe one day. 

Where was I, oh yeah, I now have just over 100 chickens. 


Look at those little girlz roosting in the sun
during this beautiful afternoon of warmth

I love this. I love everyone of these sweet hens. I may not be getting an optimal number of eggs these days due to the shorter days, overcast weather, winter weather and molting time for many girlz. But their egg production will increase come spring time. I can wait.


I love how Paul naps in his spot during the day


The egg customers, on the other hand, circle the egg fridge up by the road like hawks on a pasture of mice. They hover and wait for the Sold Out sign to come down and grab the eggs, sometimes within 5-10 minutes of me placing them in the egg fridge. At $2.50 a dozen, I sell out every day. It's a community service whereby I like to provide folks with fresh quality food at a low price. That way, everyone can have access to fresh food. 


This location and set-up is the best yet.
Not quite as janky as it used to be.
I even have a note typed up, laminated, 
and on the front of the fridge, to keep the 
customers updated on my intention
to increase my egg production ✅

As my new pullets grow up and start to lay eggs around March or April, and my newer girlz (I recently got from the couple in Ivanhoe) will likely settle in and start laying more eggs more regularly - I expect my production to increase so that I can provide more eggs to the public here in Gunter. I now make more than enough money to cover my feed costs, and we are also selling David's homemade biscuits and his BBQ sauce in there as well. The homemade buttermilk biscuits are a big hit! 

Part of what is helping this feed situation is that David volunteers at The Community Garden Kitchen in McKinney each week and is now bringing home all their "expired" and extra food(s).




It's sooooo much food. Yet, if David does not take it, they throw it in the dumpster. So, they save much of it for David as they know the farm animals will be the recipients of it all. I'm forever putting bread out for the chickens, along with pies, vegetables and canned foods of all sorts. 




I usually place the bread in some water so that it becomes mushy enough for the chickens. The bread is older (not yet moldy though) and it usually too hard for the animals to eat. But with a little fresh water, it becomes a delicious treat! Maggie has to stay in her pen - otherwise she would eat it all and that is not a good idea for her although she thinks it would be a good idea. But she's not a good judge of how much is appropriate to eat. So she watches and waits patiently.  

The facility where David volunteers cannot use certain canned foods if the can is damaged. So, we have a lot of green beans, tomatoes and other random foods that are in a can and actually perfectly fine. I understand this facility has rules on what foods can and cannot be prepared for humans - and the outcome of their extra food is that our farm animals eat like we do. Real food, real nice. Heck, David and I eat a bit of what he brings home, too. I mean, why not. This food is from Kroger, Tom Thumb, Sprouts and other grocery stores. After all, this is what I see in the grocery store and now it's in my garage and tack room/barn - free. Perfectly good food not going in the dumpster. I'm here for that. Did I mention my farm animal feed cost has decreased? 


Oh, just a reminder….

When you can’t get in the front door...... 


Always lurking with the Ring camera watching him

Just take a nap on the front door mat.....


He's sure one day he'll be invited in

I am going to bring him in the house one day. Just bring him in and let him live with us. It's just that he's a bit loud. That's all. 


Stock Show

If there's something I'll miss about Lauren and Ryan living in Fort Worth, it's their proximity to the Health and Science Museum (Children's portion, mainly) and the Stock Show each year.


So much fun!

I love the curiosity of children

Brooks, Lauren and I went over to the Stock Show, as I also took Brooks over on my own recently as well. Both times, we all had a blast! Brooks, like most children, is a big fan of all the animals. 


He wanted in there so bad

This year though, Brooks got a lighted wand toy from a vendor at the Stock Show and walked around with it as his prized procession. 




We enjoyed seeing all the cows, sheep, goats and horses. Add in a fire truck and a fireman giving out fireman's hats and badges - and it's every 2 year old boy's dream. 


The joy of a hat and badge - and 
sitting in the front seat of a firetruck! 



So much love for the horses. He called them all by the name, Dora. As our mini horse Dora is the sweetest ever, and apparently therefore, all horses are named Dora. 


As I close down a very-farm-themed post, I'd just like to remind myself how fortunate I am. I'm alive. I'm able to care for my animals. And for this I am grateful. I find that it really cannot be taken for granted and I cannot do this forever - and not likely til I'm 92. Every day that I'm out here, living life truly out here, is my 12 year old self's dream come true. There's no where else I want to be. This is my daily vacation. My get-away. My happy place. My source of joy. I want to thank God for allowing me this in my life. I just shake my head sometimes and am amazed at how fortunate I am. And that in this universe, I'm trusted to do this - take care of animals. 

I, in turn, wish for you whatever it is that brings you peace and joy in your life,

Cyndi.................who is somehow able to create a mashup of farm life and running life. I've recently created a trail route around the property for running. It's a 0.55 mile loop that never leaves our property - and instead of pushing the dogs in the cart, they run behind or ahead of me. Pretty sweet. Why did I not do this sooner? 







 

3 comments:

Brooke S. said...

Sounds like Mr. Galvan lived a long and happy life. Not sure how he was able to do all that he did at that age.....makes me feel like a real slacker. I think you should totally lease the land and mini cows sound like a phenomenal idea!! Just saying.

I fondly remember discussing how many chickens it takes to make you a "Crazy Chicken Lady" but can you really have too many chickens......especially when your business plans call for more in order to keep up with demand? I think not!

I am anxiously awaiting the day that Paul is invited into the house....apparently he is as well. I cannot wait to hear this story.

My sister took my nephew to Fort Worth for the parade and they had a blast. Looks like Brooks enjoyed it just as much.

I love your new running path and this prevents you from having a pack of dogs chasing....or running with you.....well except for your own dogs of course. LOL!

redtop said...

SO VERY INTERESTING....all of your blog ......Brooks outtings to the stock show was extra special..... you guys do have so much fun.....i suspect in a year or closer you will be a chikcen farmer, egg producer and biscuit gourmet cooker....... what a blast .....such fun...

and i love that new running path ...... fun fun that is .....no dogs chasing you...........yea ...

sorry you lost your 92 year old neighbor ...sad ....let me know if you lease that land ......should hold lots of chickens.....ha or is it ?

love your blog .....

Kim said...

What a great post, though I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Galvan. That will be exciting if you do decide to lease that land. Sounds like it might be one of those offers you can't pass up.

Great milestone for David, hooray for his 65th birthday!

100 chickens?!?! That is amazing. Next up, 200!! :-)

Brooks is growing so fast...I love that all the horses are "Dora". So sweet.

What a brilliant idea to create a running trail on your property.

Of course I thought of you when I saw this video about a turkey named Gladis. Paul could teach her a thing or two about turkey manners!

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2023/01/26/turkey-terrorizes-minnesota-neighborhood-affil-pkg-cprog-vpx.wcco

Keep living your dreams, we love hearing about them!