Sunday, December 8, 2019

Part II Yep, Resizing




Have you herd

It happened, yep it sure did. Davis and Dixie are now guarding on another sheep/goat ranch - and  luckily, they don't have chickens. Pawfect! We had two men from a local sheep and goat operation come and take those sweet doggies to their new pasture(s). They loaded up in the truck like they knew where they were going. One thing I know for sure, is they will be etched in my memory bank forever. Those dogs can guard. I'm happy for them, as these types of dogs just want to work. And from what I understand, there's a lot of sheep and goats to guard where they are headed.


You goat to be kidding

For real. These same men who have this ranch wanted all our sheep and goats. Uh, no. David made a deal with them though. He sold them 2 of the goats (Nona and Twizzler) and 2 sheep (Eve and Clara). This man (he has a name, and it's Jason) is looking to breed them all (except Twizzler, of course). Funny, because these 4 are the 4 who were the most vocal, the most pushy, and the most......well.....in charge. They are the most adapt to being independent and what I like to call, normal farm animals. They will do well, and give lots of babies. I miss them, but not the loud screams, I mean baa's that they were well known for.


Ewe mean this really happened

It did. And now, it's so quiet and calm, I'm not quite sure what to make of this. Farm population changes seem to be a thing. If you're not sure about it, check CraigsList (I use Texoma CraigsList). It's like a Farm Swap Meet 24/7. Buying, selling and trading. And if you put animals out there, there's people who show up at your doorstep. And when they come to "look" at one type of animal, they ask about the others. It's a real thang and keeps things fresh, I suppose.


Kale Yeah, I know

It's a business for people. It's fun for me, but many folks are serious farmers. I have much respect for them and what they do. My little hobby farm has contributed to others business, and I'm happy to watch and learn what other people are doing. I find it fascinating and have a lot to learn if making money is involved with what I have going on.


But aren't you trying

My experimental chicken farm of 21 young girlz is still thriving. Ever since I moved the flock closer to the house so they can have guard dog protection (who don't eat them), all the hens are alive and I count them every few nights to make sure I have all 21 there. And, I have the original flock (now at 13) free ranging and proving daily bug extermination duties. Not many of them are laying anymore, because they stop laying eggs around 3 years old. Then, they are either culled, or in our case, kept around to keep the bug population under control around the house and barn.


Hope she's not a he

No, thank goodness. All 21 of those chickens are cock-a-doodle-doo free. All bada$$ mother cluckers (roosters) will likely be culled by the Sheriff. Thus far, they are all growing, and are actually mixing a bit with the other flock. Mostly, they stay with their own people. I've come to realize that I've got three breeds in this 21 mix:  Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds and Cinnamon Queens. Gorgeous. All of them. I've got to wait until their about 5-6 months before I'll find any eggs. That's okay, I can wait. Then we'll see where that takes us. Not the best business plan, but I prefer to take it day by day.


Hay Girl

The mini horses have adjusted well to their new home with us, and I adore them. Dora is a little reserved, and Diego has blossomed as super friendly, dog-like and not a shy bone in his body. I know, I'm not supposed to treat them like I treat the dogs, but it's hard because of their size. They are horses, and I hear miniature horses can become unruly if treated otherwise. They love long walks in the pasture, sunning together, and frolicking. They are pasture jewelry, for sure and just downright beautiful animals. And surprisingly quiet.


Ewe's in Charge

Good question. Who is in charge regarding the (remaining) ewes? Grace? maybe. Belle? maybe in a quiet way. Lulu? too shy. Licorice? surprisingly, no. The head ewe is still shaking out right now. The four ewes mosey around the pasture together and are always grazing as a herd. Interestingly enough, they don't graze with the goats. They have this natural separation thing going on. I don't think they are racist, bias or discriminatory. They just like being with their own peeps.


The one that goat away

Actually two. That leaves us with Chia and her little kids, Petunia and Dotty. They goat it going on. Those two kids are so farm cute, that they can get away with anything - and boy howdy do they ever try. They are cute even when they are causing a ruckus. Slipping through small fencing areas to eat the chicken food and escaping to the neighboring pasture to graze on yummier things. Now I know how unruly children are perceived by their parents. Oh look, Little Johnny is head butting the other children. Isn't that so cute?! Fast forward to Big Johnny in prison with that same mom visiting her son in prison and proclaiming his innocence. That took a bad turn, but you get the idea. From the goat-go, those two little kids of Chia's could do no wrong. Their little maa's tickle my heart strings. That and their pink precious noses.


Hee Haw

Did you used to watch that show on TV? You know, back in the 70's. The only thing better than Hee Haw was Soul Train. I could watch that all day. I'd day dream I was there dancing, too. The girl up on the stage, which meant you were a good dancer, and then when everyone made two lines and people danced down between them....one at a time....doing their jazzy, special dance moves. Memories.
Wait, what I meant to say was how Mama and Papa Donkey are doing. Yes, they are still loud and proud, esp Papa with his Hee Haw's that can be herd a mile away, I'm sure. He takes a really deep breath in, and just lets it all out. We've moved them to the back pasture since the change in population. We had a ton of new dirt transported back there from the digging of the pond. The donkeys love it - and we love having them there again. Sitting on the back deck, with their big ole eyes watching you, only a few feet away. They want treats and have such a sweet tooth I'm afraid they may get diabetes. They are full of personality and that's just one of the many things I love about them.


Did you say pond

Indeed I did, and they have just about finished it. "They" is a man named Chuck and his side kick, Boyce. I found them on CraigsList. He's a pond maker. He has lots of big machines and a dump truck to boot. He's waved his magic pond all over our place, and finished the expansion. It's about double the size now, and we won't really know how it's going to look until quite a few rains. The good news is, it will be completed early this week. Now that's worth getting excited about when I hear "rain is coming". I used to cringe, as it was all a muddy mess. Okay, it's still a muddy mess slightly transformed into pond material. They did a good job, and we so appreciate it. They used the dirt they dug to fill in low spots all around the property and man, just that in itself was worth it all. When it's picture worthy, I'll place it in the blog. For now, it's a bit rough looking and will need a few good rains to make it look more like a pond and less like a muddy mess. Gonna need some time, my friends.


As fur as the eye can see

It's hard to know how things are going to go, when decisions are made to sell or buy farm animals. This change has made one of the greatest differences in the dynamics here. It's definitely more quiet, easier to feed everyone, and the ability to move the animals to different pastures for pasture management is in full view now. This change has given us more flexibility that will be valuable over time. So there were tears shed, but that probably won't ever change. My little tender heart is not that of a real farmer. Therefore, this hobby farm on Lovebird Lane will stay just like that. It's our hobby - and I love it. Everything here is a labor of love.


Getting piggy with it,

Cyndi




























2 comments:

Brooke S. said...

Oh my, so many of parts of your blog had me laughing out loud and am very glad to hear that all the changes you have made are working out. I am a little sad about losing Twizzler though since he was my first "Goat Crush."

redtop said...

love your blog … a complete update on all the farm guys /gals …. so very interesting you are with your expressions, little innuendos , funny quotes... talented you are ……….I love it !...….

glad you are pleased, in the end , with results of your disposing of several animals ….. it is tough I can imagine, but having to make those productive decisions are you and Davids best talent...

thanks for the very newsy update on every phase and animals …..so enjoy reading and soaking it all in... and

a very Merry Christmas to all farm partiicpants !! ho ho ho