Sunday, March 10, 2019

Rightsizing gone wrong

As we continue to love our new goats, Twizzer Pazazz (Mr Personality) and "Nona" (No Name) whose with kid ( I recently was reoriented that a baby goat is a kid), as they have blended with our 6 sheep like butter. Our sheep are a strong flock, whose bond is strong. The sheep tolerate the two goats well, esp after we 1) put them with the sheep, then 2) put them in the front pasture with the guard pups, and now 3) put them back with the sheep because Nona 's udders are filling and we need to have her closer to the house for her kid(s) to arrive. I knew that our sheep might have twins or triplets, but I'm not sure about goats. However many kids she has, I'm prepared for two baby goat names: Peanut and Popcorn (Poppy).

Eve is our (ewe) flock leader who takes care of anyone acting up. She does not tolerate bad behavior.  Her twins, Clara and Grace have grown up to be sweet and kind ewes. Grace loves all people, and Clara baa's are loud and long, just like her daddy, Sam's were. And, she looks just like him. It's fun to watch them. Then there's my heart, Belle, who had a mini-her, LuLu. They are two peas in a pod, who are both gentle and loving. Lastly, our new black sheep, Licorice is blending well, although scared of us.

The 6 sheep and 2 goats, along with Whisper and Levi to guard them are thriving, living a sweet life and bring much joy to our days. ** We are still staying strong at 15 chickens, who all rival for beauty contest winners. I'm partial to them all, and think they are amazing. I am a chicken lady, at heart.

So, you ask, what about the guard pups who are in the front pasture? Who will they "practice" guarding, while they continue to hone their skills and listen to their natural instincts? I can tell you that we have gone around the block and back again, in regards to that. Rightsizing the farm, creating new pastures with fences, and populating them with animals is a puzzle. Whose right where? What shelter facilities fits how many animals in that particular pasture? I've never been big on putting puzzles together on the kitchen table, but figuring out who belongs where is a matter of thinking, rethinking and creating order that makes sense and keeps everyone safe and happy.

Safety. Yeah, it sounds easy. But safety is not an accident. Safety has to be intentional here, and is a necessity when animals rely on us. We are the care takers, the janitors, the sheriff(s) and the safety officers.

With that said, we lost control for a moment in time. It all started like this......(cue the dream sequence music):

David and I mutually decided that since Nona was pregnant, and could not stay in the front pasture with the guard pups, that it would be a good idea to go get two MORE new-to-us goats to place up there with Dixie and Davis. (Twiz would stay with Nona). After all, we had customized their shed with a set of stairs up to a table where their hay would be, and since goats like to climb, it was a perfect scenario for everyone to have their own "place" in this shed. Twiz and Nona loved it, while they were there for their short stay. So, since we already have it set up for goats, we thought sure, let's get 2 (more) goats and place them with Dixie and Davis. That way, Nona (and Twiz, her friend) could stay up front near us, until her baby/kid gets big enough to go back. That would be least about 3-4 months.

Good idea, as we smiled and decided that we could do that, and then our master plan would be in place, again. We go and buy our two new-to-us goats, who happen to be the same breed as Twiz, which are the small Nigerian Dwarf goats. David picked out two white girls (with horns, by the way) who happened to be sisters, with only the same dad - as they don't share a mom (side note). Anyway, I got off track. We brought them home in our big crate, with both of the girls in there, awaiting their new home. We named them on the way home, as Lauren was ready with a couple of names this time. Chia, for the bigger girl, and Georgia, for the smaller girl. ** Lauren loves Georgia O'Keeffe, you know, the famous artist - who happened to have a dog named Chia, so hence where the names come from.

Chia and Georgia have never been out of a pen before (neither had Nona, but the way) and we were excited to share a piece of land with them they could graze, run and play. We arrived home with these two white goats (who are recently weaned from their moms, kind of like our lambs). We take the crate out in the pasture, where Dixie and Davis are, to show them their new home and get them settled. Look at this wonderful shed, a big pond you can actually drink out of, and lots of grass and forbs to graze. These dogs will guard the two of you, and you'll be safe.

Dixie and Davis were excited to see them, and wanted to smell them. The guard pups danced around the new goats, and the getting-to-know-you process ensued. (It was very similar to when they meet Nona and Twiz.) The dogs would chase them a bit, and stop, and run around them, and wanting to play and see what they are all about. New friends! Unfortunately, Chia and Georgia were not fans of  Dixie and Davis making these chasing moves and extra friendly gestures, as Nona and Twizzler had been. David and I are standing there, thinking this will all calm down, as it did at the guard pups last meeting with new goats. We stood there watching, until we decided that maybe we would go back up to the house, and let them all get to know each other, check things out, and settle in. This was not the dogs first time meeting a goat, and they certainly know sheep, so all is well, right?

I turned around to walk through the gate, and hear David yell, "The goats are swimming!" Do goats swim, I immediately think? They do when dogs have scared them and chased them into the water. David is racing toward the pond (which is overflowing with all the rains, and has never been so full in our time here). I hear him yell, "I'm going in! You go get the other one". I'm running toward the pond, and can see the smaller one struggling to swim, and who is smack in the middle of the pond now. David is running into the pond, like someone running on the beach, and into the ocean. Full force, clothes and shoes on, trying to get to Chia. I've now gotten to the water's edge, and know I'm going in too. Georgia is going to drown, right before my eyes. She gurgles, she's struggling to stay above the water. I head straight in the water, clothes, boots and all, knowing this pond is full of frogs, turtles - and snakes. I hear David yell, " I got her!', as he reaches for Chia, water up past his chest. But David is not close to me, and on the other side of the pond. Then, Georgia sees me coming in the water, and turns to swim toward me, looking for help. It's a little ways to shore, and I don't think she can make it. Every step my foot hits the bottom of the pond, my brain screams, Snake, Snake, Snake, just knowing that one is going to bite me at any time, and then when the water reaches my chest, Georgia has come towards me - and I towards her, and she falls into my arms. I try to keep her above the water, and turn to go towards dry land. The gooey sand/dirt on the bottom of the pond is sucking my heavy boots in on every step. I can tell David has gotten Chia out, and is holding her still, as Chia is in shock from it all. I'm trying to get to shore with Georgia, although my boots are so heavy, my adrenaline is pumping and I can't let something happen to this goat. They almost drowned, right before our eyes. I fall towards the ground, still holding Georgia, as I come out of the water. It's cold, we are covered in green algae, and everyone is alive. I lay there, holding onto her, so that I can get her to safety. It's going to take me a minute to stand up, as my clothes are heavy from the water, and I know I have to hold onto her. She and I both are dazed and confused about what just happened. I get to my feet, and have her tight in my arms. She's scared, and as she should be. Welcome home! Now swim!

As people do in times of panic and frantic situations, I tried to stay as calm as possible because we are all out of the cold pond - and we are safe. My mind races to get Georgia up to the barn, and David and I each in our dripping clothes, water filled shoes and boots, walk up to the barn, closing the gate tightly behind us. We know we can not allow the goats to stay down there with Dixie and Davis. It's too dangerous. I could have never in my life expected that to happen, nor ever thought in my time here on the farm, that I would be going 1) into the pond, and 2) fully dressed, or 3) saving goats who felt forced to swim.

In times of crisis, you do what you need to do. I'm sure the goats were scared out of their minds. I underestimated what could happen. I could have never dreamed of that scenario. Even now, it seems like it was a dream. A bad dream. I feel horrible that those goats had to go through that.

As we got Chia and Georgia into the barn, they were stunned. Algae on their little noses, still. They shake off, like dogs do, with pond water flying off of them. They huddle in the corner to warm up, and just stand there, unsure what to do next. David and I stayed with them until we felt like they were safe and sound. Whisper and Levi are so good to them, unlike the Dixie and Davis meeting. We knew they would be okay in the barn. And they were. They were now safe.

David and I looked at each other, and realized we were dripping, wet and cold. That took awhile to really sink in and hit, as we were just trying to solve the situation, which is now referred to as The Pond Incident. After we felt comfortable with the new goats situation, we finally went in the laundry room (via side door of house) and put the nasty clothes directly into the washer. (I was convinced I'd need to wash it all twice).

After a hot shower, David and I were able to comprehend what had happened. Back out to the barn to check on the goats. They were doing surprisingly well. Later that night before bed, we looked at each other and wondered how something like that could happen. We shared an awkward laugh, a crooked smile and hugged each other, happy that we all made it out of the pond......safely.

I'm happy to report that Day 2 for the little girls was much better, and actually enjoyable for them. It was the first day they would graze a pasture, have access to a barn, and make new friends. We are so grateful. The sheep readily accepted them, and Day 2 was spent as a flock of 6 sheep, and now 4 goats.......none of which are in the front pasture with Dixie and Davis.

Sometimes, things are not meant to be. I have 4 new goats, all of whom are here, and not for their intended purpose. This is my example of how God works. It's not my plan, it's His plan. I can't force it, override it or try to fight it. His Will be done. Okay, God, no goats up front. It took twice to hear that message loud and clear. But I got it now.

We are all safe tonight, warm and in our proper places. And I can't express my gratitude enough. Thank you, for getting us all out of the water. All of us. And with no snake bites.

Tomorrow is a new day, and once again, I have learned that just about anything can happen out here.

Cyndi









4 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow...what a traumatic event for you guys. I am so glad that everything turned out ok. Was I the only one that pictured David as David Hasselhoff (Baywatch) running into the pond to rescue the goats? I think it is now time to consider some heartier animals for the front pasture....how about ponies or miniature cows?

redtop said...

WHAT AN ADVENTURE …

GLAD ALL ARE SAFE ……


never know what comes next , eh Cyndia ???


great story …….thanks for sharing...………………..EXCITING IT WAS !

Anonymous said...

Similarities? David and David. Check.They both run into the water to rescue. Check. Similar age? Check. And since I was a witness to it, I'll go with Yes, he's our Baywatch Farmer.

Kawika said...

Cyndi, you can now add Pond Lifeguard to your list of jobs you have had! You passed the exam with flying colors! Georgia says “baaa” (thanks)!