Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Coming up on 3 years in Gunter

As we begin to approach the 3 year mark for making our way to Gunter, I look back at how far we've come. We moved to Gunter with 2 chickens. The acreage we bought came with three donkeys and 2 Great Pyrenees guard dogs. Since then, our chicken population has ebbed and flowed, but stands strong at 15. We added sheep, and now goats. We have a great barn cat population, with a couple of cats that are strays who have taken up residence with us. They are all "fixed", so no kitties are in the future, but we don't always know that about the visiting stray cats.
I think the most interesting aspect of it all, is the pasture management and how we can use the land, in the most appropriate way possible while still providing shelter to the animals. One of our favorite pastimes is fence movement. We have an abundance of temporary fencing, that we hate to move - and love to move. Mostly love to move, because of the outcome, but sometimes David and I almost "come to blows" while moving this temporary fencing. Why? Well, it can be done several ways, and the way my brain works to move it - is different than his. We always work-it-out, and it winds up a success. I like to say we have an addiction to the movement of temporary fencing. The ebbing and flowing of the animals keeps our brains ticking away at how best to keep everyone contained - and happy. Happiness of the animals is important to us, and you can tell if they are happy. The sheep frolic, the donkeys play and chase each other, and the guard dogs are relaxed and able to unwind on their own terms.
Our two recent purchase of goats: Nona, (for No Name because the dynamic duo of Ryan and Lauren must not have been able to concur on a goat name) and Twizzler (came to us with that name, and it suits him well) are doing great. I'm going to give Twizzler a middle name: Pazazz. He has SO much flair. He's interested in everything, is bossy without being bossy, and full of life. He and Nona make me wonder why I didn't get goats earlier. (Brooke suggested it awhile back, maybe she knew how cool goats really are). Nona's sides are starting to stick out, like little basketballs attached to her. She's either pregnant.....or enjoying the food too much around here. Nona and Twiz have made our first goat purchase a positive one. You know, you've heard of goats eating everything, causing destruction in their environment, and generally being unruly. But, it's just not always true, as people have preconceived notions about many farm animals. Chickens are mean, sheep are stupid, and donkeys are hard to handle. I think it's about finding the proper animals for your own environment. Our chickens are friendly, our donkeys are kind, and our sheep are docile and sweet. I think it's all about picking out which ones serve you, and we picked out two of the sweetest goats. They maa so gently, and they are happy to be here with us. And yes, it appears Nona is pregnant, as they had warned us just hours before delivering her to our farm. We have no idea of a due date, but are guessing in a month? The only thing I know for sure about having kid goats is NOTHING. Wait, except we picked out names: Poppy (popcorn) and Peanut (gender neutral), assuming she has twins. I've started on my usual YouTube education process for birthing kid goats, and found it similar to lambing. That's a plus. But you know what? Since we can't be sure of when Nona is due, we had to move the goats from the front pasture, back to the middle pasture because we don't trust the guard pups enough to know what what they might do with a baby goat. While becoming great guard dogs, Dixie and Davis are only 8 month old guardians, and puppies + kid baby goats could = disaster. So after we spent all that time prepping for them to guard the goats, we had to put the goats back with the sheep, at least until Nona gives birth, and the kid goat(s) can tolerate life well.
So, here we go again. Movement. To review from the last blog, we did indeed have the front pasture divided with a fence, and placed Dixie and Davis up front by the pond to guard that portion of the property.....and the goats. They are doing a fabulous job! Not knowing we were getting a pregnant goat changed things though. The two sweet goats are now staying with the sheep, and everyone is happy about that. But the plan has not been executed as we originally thought. So the question is, what can were provide for Dixie and Davis "to guard" now?! They should not be alone only, and need to use their instincts to guard "something". More goats then? I mean, I really am at a loss on this one. I'll wait for the answer to come to me. In the mean time, Davis is being neutered on Friday. Dixie was spayed a couple of weeks ago. Why wait so long, you ask? The Vet recommended the spaying/neutering of guard dogs until later (rather than earlier on as a pup) as it lets their systems fully develop, and the testosterone set in for the males. Dixie did well, except she had to wear the cone of shame for a full 7 days, because she would not leave her incision alone. We'll see how Davis does. I saved that cone, in case Davis needs it.
We have grown in many ways, in 3 years. Lots of animals, fence moving, house renovations, new roofs, added another barn and a couple of sheds, and the list goes on. It's not all physical changes and material things, as there's an abundance of emotional changes made as well. It has tested my mental strength, increased my problem solving skills, and certainly broadened my horizons and upped my education levels in regards to things I never knew would exist in my world. Bloat, sheep vaccinations, birthing of farm animals, death and dying of sick farm animals, winter preparations, shearing sheep, animal surgery and vet bills. The Vet loves us. I now what it feels like to know a Vet and Vet office so well, that it's almost embarrassing. I need them, and appreciate having that assistance on an ongoing basis, more than they will ever know.
This world we've created is one that has been done many times before us, and will continue to happen. Regular people wanting a different life, and choosing to make changes in their life (while all the people around then wonder, What is going on!?). While some people move to the mountains, the beach, the big city, or another country.....we moved to a slice of land to do as we wish. This freedom constantly amazes me. And I am most certainly grateful.
So as I move through this life cycle, this season of life, before it gets harder to get around with older joints, muscle and bones, I soak it all in. I've never in my life wanted to be home as much as I want to be home now. Everything I need is here. Our experiment of moving to Celina to check out country life was a success, and then we purchased here in Gunter. Going out to feed in the morning and night is not a chore, but a treat. The highlight of my day, to say Hello to everyone.
An interesting phenomenon has occurred with this new addition of 2 goats and 1 sheep to our existing flock. More is easier than less. With a flock of 6 sheep and 2 goats together now, they move more in a pack. With only a few sheep, it was like we were their leaders, and they were very dependent on us. But now, with a larger herd, they quietly graze and enjoy each other, as they have become a tight knit family, who migrate together over the pasture. We know each of their personalities well, and adore them all, for who they are. It's hard to imagine you can know so many, so well. But with the larger flock, they rely on each other, and have a "order" and way they interact together. This is not only relaxing and enjoyable to watch occur, but a lesson of more can be easier. Odd, how that is.
So much learning, so much love, and so much has happened in 3 years. With warmer weather coming, grass growing, and chairs waiting for me on the porch, we are all going to be right here. Quietly doing our thing, and living this life God has given us. Still not completely sure how I got here, but sure glad I did.

My donkeys are asking for that fresh green grass to grow......come on Spring,

Cyndi

2 comments:

Brooke said...

WoooHoooo....I am so glad that you listened to my plea for goats....Now, I would like to suggest miniature ponies, miniature cows, or miniature pigs. Let that marinate for a while and then get back to me.

redtop said...

I love it …...harmony on l the farm sounds perfect..... you are on top of every event that happens … so glad you and David supper happy …… and I hope to get up for that visit this summer ……...hope ..hope

thanks for sharing your life ventures, I love it ……...read it over and over ,

dad