Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Compare and Contrast

Over the last 4-6 months, I've come to realize many things, but one in particular seems to stand out in my mind right now. It's the similarity of how aging and Ironman triathlon training, while two completely different things, are amazingly in alignment with each other. Let me explain.

First, the commonality of your body aching is front and center. There's the long swims, with correct form and cadence, that wreck havoc on your arms and shoulders. Almost like you might have been the starting pitcher for The Rangers, and pitched right and left handed the whole game. Your not sure if your shoulders are okay, or if it's the upper deltoid that's sore. It's like aging and getting older, when your muscles are sore for no reason at all. Like a relaxation accident. Something just starts hurting in your body somewhere. I guess with triathlon training, you at least know why. The long bikes and long runs each bring about achy legs and tight hips. Then, sit down after those events and try to get back up, and that's what I'm going to look like at 73 years old. Maybe 71 or 75, but somewhere around there. I'm going to look like I'm training for a triathlon, but the difference is, I'm not. I just walk that way all the time now. Repetitive motion pastimes such as biking and running brings about the tightness I'm going to naturally feel at 70 years old when I wake up. Triathlon training = Feeling like I'm going to feel when I'm 70.

Next up, fatigue. I need more sleep when I'm training. Aging brings about the need for more sleep, as well. Getting older is the time in life when your body is making up for all those years you drove yourself in the ground. Running around, working, taking care of others, and living life hard and fast. Very similar to triathlon training. You are constantly teaching your body to go further and faster, and this makes a body tired. You know what they say, "Go Big or Go Home". I'll think I'll go home, and take a nap when I get there.

Let's get personal. Knee pain. Hip pain. GI upset. Eating too much. Eating the same things over and over. Falling into comfort routines. Doing the same things over and over. Wondering what it's like when you seemed to have time to do other things. Wearing less make up. Intentionally and not caring. Not wanting to go out. The couch feels so good. Tinkling in my shorts - or will do so just about anywhere. Showering less because your just going to get sweaty again. Wearing the same clothes because "their not that dirty". Yep, these are all signs you are training for an Ironman. And. Getting. Old. Why didn't anyone warn me? There was a book on What To Expect When Your Pregnant. It is a week by week book of expectations in regards to the various body changes during pregnancy. Where's my What To Expect When Your Old book?! It should come with a warning label: BEWARE: This is not going to be all rainbows and butterflies.

And then there's the things you can't "see". Hemorrhoids. How does this happen?! Do you know how hard it is to bike with a hemorrhoid? Prep H can be your best friend in times like this. Age brings about these lovely reminders that you need to wipe gently. Careful, don't wake the giant. Ahhh, aging is wonderful. Triathlon training is preparing me for it more and more.

Now the good thing is, with age comes wisdom and experience. Experience is key in triathlons. It doesn't mean you'll always perform better. But at least you know better. You've been there and done that. When it rains on your run? No biggie. When the current is fierce in the water? Keep swimming and don't look up or fret. Age may bring less muscle mass, bone density and aerobic capacity, but that's where experience steps in. Older and wiser, baby. Shake it off. Better with age.

Another thing I noticed is that the older I get, I'm less concerned with what others think about what I pick to do, how I do something, what I'm eating, or how it looks from the outside. This aging mechanism can be very self serving in triathlons. Eat what works for you, fuels you and tastes good. Dress in what's comfortable and efficient, not in what peer pressure says to wear. Eat my "own food" and let other's do the same. In triathlon training and aging, practicing what works well for you and sticking with it just makes life easier. I won't use the expression, the older you get, the less you care. I look at it like I've become more self confident to be me. Do me. And keep looking ahead and not focused on what those around me are doing. Although I'm certainly happy to take nuggets of information from others, and use it to increase my knowledge. Wisdom is all around the aging community. We should all share it so we can stay relevant in our community and life. The same is true for triathlon training. Staying relevant on what's out there to be more effective and efficient is key.

I've had a goal for sometime now. What if I woke up everyday and ate the same thing for breakfast? Then, did different activities each day, yet the same on certain days of the week. All while wearing the same or similar clothes, and have similar lunches and dinners. Does that sound like older people things? Because it's definitely triathlon training things. Granted, non-attachment is my jam. But I'm still that person that loves repetition.

Getting older certainly has it's ups and downs. The thing is, I'm not all about speed. Mostly about the process of finishing. That's certainly true as a aging adult. It's not how fast I get there. It's that I get there. This weekend, I'm all about the journey. And that's true about aging. It's the journey. I have noted that triathlon training is not like being younger. Carefree, YOLO, willy-nilly, and doing whatever whenever. It's far from that. It mirrors aging: Pick carefully. Be wise. Watch your step. Don't fall. Keep looking forward, and take it one step at a time.

Aging and triathlon training are two remarkably similar phenomenons. I never realized it until recently. Luckily, I'm loving both. And seeing what more my future has in store for me. The good, the bad, and all the secrets awaiting me.

Confession time: Sometimes I'm all about speed. Who am I kidding?
Cyndi





1 comment:

redtop said...

WHETHER triathloning or aging ..you are super and both are necessary for you ….
I suspect you are feeling the aging issue as you run and swim and bike and ache and groan ……
my experience at a nearly 81 age is that I dont feel pains and aches so uch, just have motivational issues of getting to the court ...my recliner is so convenient and close and coozey …. but I continue ….no longer have the aches pains as my playing velocity/ intensity is not what it used to be... but still fun it is and I keep on , keeepin on...… as you l seemingly do... I enjoyed your comapritive analysis tho...you are clever ! good luck in your triathlon...… and thanks for sharing your writings... I lovem …..