Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Meal time around here

Breakfast and dinner time is a busy time. Interestingly, there's not a "set" time that everyone is always ready to eat. It depends on the weather, the temperature, and how hungry everyone is that day. When it's so very hot, as it has been lately, the Great Pyrenees dogs, donkeys and sheep are not hungry until later in the evening, as the heat begins to let up. Usually, I may know when it's time to feed, because the sheep will start Baaaaaa-ing. When that happens, the donkeys will bray, sometimes both of them in unison. They are alerting us that they are hungry, and are ready for dinner.
Whether I'm inside or outside, I can hear them, and head to the barn. Once I start walking towards the barn, any chicken out free ranging in the yard comes running at full speed, knowing what is to come. Granted, the chickens have food out at all times, they know there will be new scratch and mealworms put out for them. They know this. They run from all directions towards me and then to the barn. I adore how chickens run. It's one of my most favorite things in life to watch. I mean, a full all-out run, making a bee-line to follow me and stay with my quick pace to the barn. They are quite fast! At least for a short distance. They line up behind me, and beside me as if I'm the piped piper of chickens. Since there is no roosters here, they view David and I as their round-up crew. From what I understand roosters have many jobs, and one is to keep the flock all together and not let them get separated while out free ranging. Since we do not have a rooster, during the day there are chickens everywhere. In the front pasture, inner sanctum (fenced front yard), side pasture, in the barn and even down in the back pasture. I've only heard this to be true. Don't quote me on it, but without a rooster, our Ladies are everywhere. There's many openings and spots where they can sneak through fences, to go from one location to the next. And they all know where these openings are, and move from location to location rather quickly.
As I head to the barn, the sheep always ask to be fed first. They cry out Maaaaaaa, I mean, Baaaaaa. They graze freely all day, but the grain we give them seems to be the highlight of their day. We feed them All Stock Creep from the local feed store. It's a feed meant for multi animals like cows, goats, and sheep. What's interesting is the Copper (Cu) level is low in this particular feed. When feeding sheep, cooper is their kryptonite. Sheep are the species most susceptible to copper toxicity because of the narrow range between requirements and toxicity. If the sheep's liver storage capacity is exceeded in regards to copper, death is normally the result. So anytime I'm buying feed for the sheep, the tag on the feed bag which outlines the nutrients and elements must be evaluated closely. I typically stick with the same feed for the sheep. Sheep are ruminants that have "four stomachs" (four chambered stomach). This means they are cud-chewing creatures. Think of it like a food bolus that they regurgitate, rechew and reswallow. They have to, as their stomachs dictate it. And if their tummy gets upset, it's a big deal. Bloat, dun, dun, dun. It's not like when I get bloated and crampy. A sheep who gets their digestive system out of wack, can result in bloating and this can mean death. No amount of acid reducer or pepto bismol can fix it. Take away? Stick to the sure thing with sheep. I try to keep their diet consistent and evade the possibility of stomach problems. So, what is it sheep prefer for treats? Well, I have googled that many times and tried many things, but my sheep don't care for fruits, and other things google says to give them as a treat. My sheep like bread. Straight up bread of many types. Bagels, white bread, rolls, and such. Nothing fancy, nothing on the bread. They like for me to put it in bite size pieces, in their feeding pails. They used to like dog food, but they don't seem to care for it as much, and we have made sure they rarely have any, due to the uncertainty of copper levels in it. The three sheep fight for their position in front of the two feeders. It's fun to watch. Like a sheep rugby match, of sorts. Nothing too crazy, but just how sheep do.
As I give the sheep their grain in their feeders, I do also add some of the chicken's scratch to it, and the sheep really think it must be their birthday. Chicken scratch is normally a seed/grain/corn mixture that not only the chicken's adore, but so do the donkeys and sheep. Not as a meal, but as dessert. I give it sparingly to the sheep, but the donkeys can have pretty much whatever you want to give them. The donkeys are our hearty eaters. They will eat most anything and everything. Anytime we go out to eat at a restaurant, we get a to-go box that will certainly have scraps that go to the dogs - or the donkeys, most likely. The donkeys also graze all day on grass and such, and they have little to no dietary requirements, and have a sweet tooth you won't believe. They love tortilla chips from the mexican food restaurant, peppermints (yes, the small hard ones!), muffins of any type, all bread products, carrots and fruit. Their range of food is wide. Their feeders have many different foods in them, depending on what I have to give them at any given time. They will even eat the chicken food, cat food or dog food. They are good at letting me know what they like - and what they don't like. A favorite item for them is a dog biscuit.
So while the donkey's will get whatever is available, the Great Pyrenees dogs, Levi and Whisper, are more particular. They have dog food typically, but I like to mix up their diet with wet, canned dog food and our food leftovers. They work hard for us, guarding everyone 24/7. Don't get me wrong, so do the donkeys. But Levi and Whisper are diligent and relentless at their jobs. As I always say, they are the reason everyone is alive. The chickens, the barn cats, and the sheep can rest easy because of Levi and Whisper. And I am most grateful for all they do.
Speaking of barn cats, they themselves have several food stations to chose from. Our community of barn cats are all around the property. Therefore, we have automatic cat food feeders in 3 places. First, the barn, of course. Then, in the garage, and lastly in the laundry room. Yes, I just wrote that. The laundry room of my house. So I have a side door into the house, that takes you into a large laundry room. This laundry room has a dutch door, that opens to the house. I keep the dutch door shut to the house, or leave the top portion of it open with a screen (so the cats won't jump over it). The door into the laundry room has always had a doggie in it to allow our city dogs to come into the house. Well, not the house, but at least the laundry room where their beds, food and toys are. As time has moved on, most every barn cat has discovered the magic of the doggie door, and made their way into the laundry room. Therefore, we have placed a cat feeder in there so that when it's really cold, really wet or a cat just wants to be inside, they can come in and take cover. The cats don't mingle much in there, surprisingly. The cats enjoy the outdoors, where they chase mice, rats, birds and even snakes. Our cat community keeps all these pests at bay. Thank goodness! I appreciate all the barn cats, many of which have been "given" to us, donated to us or found their way to our place. They are as follows: July (head barn cat), June Bug (sister), May (other sister), Kitty, Preston, Sweet Pea, Smokey and Blackie. We have some "visiting" cats that come and go. Boots, Kitty-look-alike and another random black cat. Not sure if they really have a home, but they are truly feral and will not approach us. But they will eat our cat food. Along with random raccoons, making their way to the cat feeders to devour as much as possible. And raccoons are big, my friend.
To sum up feeding time, going to the barn in the morning and evening is always the bright spot in my day. It settles my soul, calms my spirit and brings a smile to my face every time. I really just want to live out there. I probably could. But it seems a bit odd to even say that. That's how much I love being out in the barn. I look around, and the chickens are fed, and have their treats of scratch and mealworms. The donkeys have something yummy from a range of food items available. The Great Pyrenees dogs are given food they like to nourish their bodies for their hard work they do. The sheep are greedily inhaling their grain, and the barn cats have their tender vitals at will. (Despite many questions about this topic, the cats do not bother our chickens whatsoever. Amazing to me, too.)
We are fortunate to have this eco system whereby no one eats one another. It's a balance. My favorite time of the day? Feeding time.
Cheers,
Cyndi

3 comments:

redtop said...

so much fun is feeding time...…………. loved to learn how each of the animal farm are fed ...very handy info ….and you take it sooo personal and prideful..... love your descriptions …...you are really into it !


thanks for sharing...………… I love your farm, hope to get up to see you this summer …


hi to farmer David …

Kawika said...

It is clear to me now that Brooke must be, at least, half donkey. Her diet is so flexible!
It is also clear that we need to have a camp out in the barn when the weather turns cool!
How fun would that be?!?!?
We can talk to the animals like Dr. Dolittle!

My Little Life said...

I’m all in!! Brooke is invited, too!