Sunday, January 7, 2018

Surrender

As I age, I find myself doing "old people" things. I recognize it, I feel it, and I wonder if there's many more times I'm doing "old people" things and not even realizing. Granted, as a mid-50 year old women, I am entitled to the classification of older-age, if you will. I may not have fallen in full-force, but I am certainly on the cusp enough to know that other's perception (of myself) can be that of a "older' person.
I'm not taking about old-people things like eating applesauce, taking naps, collecting coins or playing cribbage. Or driving 20mph when he speed limit is 60 (with the blinker on), failing miserably at the self checkout at the grocery store (oh, and have coupons), or general complaining. I'm talking about the interaction with society, others around us (young adults, etc) and technology. We are all going to move slowly, misplace things and not remember as well as we used to. That's life. But, how am I reacting to real-life around me? Technology - am I accepting of it? People - am I tolerant of others?
Yesterday, as I was attempting to install my additional Home Google Mini (we have one set up, and use it frequently), and the install did not go as planned. Installing and setting up the second one was not like the first. There's other criteria necessary, like modem setting changes. Well, I don't have access to change the settings in my modem. Rise Broadband does. And if they do make these changes necessary for my new Mini, there are other unintentional consequences that may ensue. So, what to do. Throughout this process with embracing technology, I have a knee-jerk reaction to say, "Forget it, it's too difficult" or "It's too hard" when things get confusing. So, I made a conscious decision to stick with this setup of my additional Mini til the bitter end. It would be too easy to say, "Nevermind!".
Fast forward.......I rode this out til the end, even calling Google Help to ask about it. They were the ones to confirm my suspicions regarding the necessary modem changes. Google is aware that their product requires it, and that many people do not have the access to do that. First, that was wonderful to hear a company say that they are aware of the limitations, and not blame it on something or someone else. Very refreshing - thus creating more respect for Google in this process. Unfortunately for me, Rise Broadband will not be making changes to my modem and the Mini gets returned to the store. The moral to my story is : I used this technology project as one of learning. I tried to embrace this process, and follow the necessary steps needed to see it through. That's not always the case for me. So, even though the additional Mini set-up process did not get completed, I considered it a success. I rode it out.
I have found myself doing this more and more lately. No, I'm certainly not a expert at it - or an expert at anything, really. I found that I am good at fighting against my own nature. I can learn to adapt to new technology, and the more I do this, the better off I may be in keeping up with society. I will need to continue learning what's appropriate, what's safe and what's relevant. I have a wonderful example of two "older-people" technology mentors. First, my aunt and uncle. Every time I visit them, we catch up on life happenings, then immediately they ask, "Tell me something new you like - and use - on your iPhone.". They sit eagerly, like little sponges, awaiting my in-service on something new and useful for them. And it's almost like a competition for them to know more than the other one knows. They don't like to be texted in a group text, they like a "personal" text only, please. My sweet aunt has now passed, but I still see her sparkling eyes looking into mine, searching for knowledge in regards to her magnificent iPhone. She has granddaughters - who are teenagers - who she would do anything for to keep up with them regarding their phone skills. Their desire to stay current on technology is inspiring. That's the attitude I want to emulate. And I think about them when I struggle with technology. What would they do? Second, is my Dad. He's a social media king of sorts. He uses his computer on a regular basis, and when something is not-quite-right, he seeks help and assistance. Since he lives in an area with other seniors all around him, he barters his computer fixes with other things. I'll teach you tennis lessons, if you can help me fix my computer. Or better yet, he can simply go up and take a computer class, taught by another retiree who enjoys doing so. It's like a Senior Barter System. I'll assist you, you assist me. They do for each other. My dad also seeks out new technology not only on his computer, but via social media. He's an avid Facebook-er, reads blogs, checks his email regularly, and many other things, I'm sure. Just keeping up with each Windows update is a chore for anyone. And he knows when it's time to do so. Go Dad! Now, if I could get a iPhone in his hands, he would never look back and surpass us all with his new phone skills. His potential with technology is endless, and his computer skills are evident of this. Now, if I can get the flip-phone out of his hands, there will be no limits on what might happen next.
As I look to older-age people for inspiration regarding technology, I'll need to continue to surrender myself to it. Surrender my reluctance, my fear and my own push-back to it. I really want to embrace it, so that I can stay current. But it's harder as you get older to do so. Surrender, Cyndi. Let it all go, quiet that chatter in your head that says "don't do it". It's a fight against my old-age self. Don't be afraid of the shaming and teasing from young adults as you try your hardest to figure it out. Stay strong. Keep searching and trying new things. And Cyndi, don't forget to ask young adults how they do things, what they use, and how they use a particular app. Keep growing your knowledge! Surrender to it, and it will come easier. I'm trying.
I'll close with this......
My Observations on Young vs Old People Things:
1) Any young adult who says they hate society is considered a hipster. But when Gramps complains about the hip-hop music, he's old.
2) There is no way as a young adult you would let your bff or boyfriend wear matching clothing, but when maw-maw and paw does it, it's cute.
3) A young adult is weighed down with just carrying their phone, while Grandma's purse is the gateway to Narnia.
4) Old people put on glasses to look at their phone......or set the font to extra-large. Young people just shake their head. Little do they know it will catch them eventually. We never think it will.
5) Old people send out "joke emails" or "news emails", young people Snap and Insta. Even texting is iff-y.
6) Older women wear nicer sandals, but don't get a pedicure. Guilty.
7) Young people have nicer phones. And have probably never used a flip-phone. Much less that box phone that's still in your trunk.
8) Panty lines. Need I say more?
It's freeing, exhilarating - and a challenge - to get older. My motto will be surrender. That's the only way I can make it through. Just surrender to it, Cyndi. Embrace it, lean into to. Every day is a gift.

Here's to educating myself with young peoples knowledge,
Cyndi



1 comment:

redtop said...

you are so convincing ....flip phone I will trade for new I phone or Yoga lessons ......? you got me nailed gal ............ only thing is I got this windows 10 beauty sitting on my desk I use while I swing around to watch t v .... ..I love to debate, argue and etc on F B with my radically young nephews.... they are smart ....I try to keep up, while passing on my wisdom ..... I thouroughly enjoy each and every article you write........ I read, reread and again..... I learn and I ,too, love to listen to my kids and nephews to learn , enjoy and sometimes grow..... keep writing , and keep being exactly what you are.. I , personally , love your style and class....love you and your family ..........Keep running , keep yoga ing and keep blogging... I'm hooked ! I love it ..